Rogers is CURRENTLY spiking data usage to over bill...

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers is CURRENTLY spiking data usage to over bill...

So last month I went over on my 6gb allotment for the first time ever. My billing cycle reset on the 21st of this month and my data usage right now (morning of the 23rd) shows near 1gb of usage in under 48 hours (usage stats are 12 hours behind). My Wifi is always on and I work from home, which means my LTE signal is getting about two hours of email only usage per day. My apps are set to only update over Wifi, etc. I download no attachments in my emails using LTE. As is par for the course with these fools, I was bounced around from tech support to billing and back. Before speaking with a completely inept supervisor minutes ago who told me that it was my fault for not turning LTE off while my WiFi is on, the agent that transferred me to him said that she is receiving five calls on average per day about this issue. Yet this unprofessional moron of a supervisor said that if there was an issue, this information would have been disseminated to all employees, and he's heard nothing. Riiiiiiight. The previous agent also told me that a ton of usage occurred late last night while I was asleep. Even if I was on LTE last night, which I was NOT, no apps were updated overnight (I checked), not to mention my apps are set to only update over WiFi only. Anyway, Rogers is doing NOTHING about this because, well, it allows them to erroneously bill you for "over usage". CHECK YOUR USAGE and call them please. I will now hopefully escalate this to someone with half a brain in their head. Just a warning about Rogers latest money grabbing tactic for you.

***Edited Labels.***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Rogers is CURRENTLY spiking data usage to over bill...

Before the wipe, you did go into the USAGE section on the android, and see if there was anything amiss there?

it should show exactly what was used on cellular data wise, down to the program.

(just incase, it was a run - away app which got say stuck in a loop of refreshing, etc something, and was stuck on cellular and never switched over)

Its a good idea to set this section up, to match your billing reset dates, etc.. to make sure you have a good comparison point to show against the usage that they say was done.

(EG:  a co worker here was about to go and dispute that their data usage was WAY over this past month.  They were in the middle of moving/renovations.   I took a look at her phone.   Over 2g alone in just EMAIL data (let alone anything else ontop).. her husband consistantly sending her images from the reno... BIG file size, 30+ images a day.. it was adding up)

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

And before anyone asks me about the steps I've taken to personally rectify this, I've done a backup and reset my phone. I have a Galaxy S5, but the rep who was experiencing the same issues in the past month is on an iPhone 5c. My girlfriend is with Bell, same phone as me, no issues whatsoever.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Before the wipe, you did go into the USAGE section on the android, and see if there was anything amiss there?

it should show exactly what was used on cellular data wise, down to the program.

(just incase, it was a run - away app which got say stuck in a loop of refreshing, etc something, and was stuck on cellular and never switched over)

Its a good idea to set this section up, to match your billing reset dates, etc.. to make sure you have a good comparison point to show against the usage that they say was done.

(EG:  a co worker here was about to go and dispute that their data usage was WAY over this past month.  They were in the middle of moving/renovations.   I took a look at her phone.   Over 2g alone in just EMAIL data (let alone anything else ontop).. her husband consistantly sending her images from the reno... BIG file size, 30+ images a day.. it was adding up)

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

> Before the wipe, you did go into the USAGE section on the android, and see if there was anything amiss there?

I did indeed and they do match up perfectly - .91gb.

> BIG file size, 30+ images a day.. it was adding up)

I only use K9 Mail and have my auto-download set to 25kb max.

The Rogers rep who was fielding five calls a day about this lately said that what's been happening on some phones is that although one is on WiFi (and with a $250 router that I can access from a block away from my house, and is in the same room as me), the LTE is jumping in and superceding the WiFi data. Not to mention she said there was an inordinate amount of data used well after I was asleep last night, with my WiFi on.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Annnnnd looking at my data usage, there is a direct correlation between this new problem (having never gotten close to my 6gb allotment previously) and the G900W8VLU1ANF3 update last month. Guaranteed that's the issue. It's amazing how little Rogers knows about what's going on with, considering they are supposed to test updates in advance of release; hence the horrendous wait time for us to receive such updates.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I was just posting to double check, that you did know it was there/exisited 🙂

You would be suprised on how many people DONT know its there... (and also have no clue on how much data different things use up, etc).

Just wanted to make sure you checked it 🙂

(likely that is what darrell was upvoting?  saying that its a good bit of information for all android users to know/look at)

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Hi hi,

I just pulled this information from Samsung's website and if I were you I would check the setting on your phone

It sounds like you have this turned on (taken from samsungs website)

Download Booster Powered speed with LTE & Wi-Fi together

The Download Booster technology lets you use the LTE and Wi-Fi
simultaneously to give you an unrivaled network experience!
When you need to download files in a hurry, turn on the LTE and Wi-Fi
together and experience approximately 80~90% of the added network
speed of LTE and Wi-Fi.

If this is a feature you have yet to rectify, it's going to eat up your data faster than it would have on your other devices

This isn't a Rogers specific feature, it's a feature of the phone.

Hope this helps and you don't go over your data again!

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the response, but I'd already checked that prior to making this complaint. Here's a screen shot for you - http://i.imgur.com/c4EM2XA.png

It has to be the update that was pushed on us in the middle of last month because looking at my usage, that's precisely when this issue began.

I've Been Here Awhile

I will definately be checking this out. I am not impressed.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

If you see the same sort of spike in your LTE usage as I did in the past month or so, use this form - https://www.rogers.com/web/Rogers.portal?_nfpb=true&_pageLabel=contactUsShareAConcern to contact them. I got a call back from the Office of the President within four hours and let's just say the situation is resolved.