Rogers iPhone unlock policy

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Rogers iPhone unlock policy

I bought my 3gs with contract from Rogers a year ago and soon after iPhone 4 released, I bought one (unlocked) from Apple Store.

I'm still under Rogers contract (using it with iPhone4 now) and is no longer using the 3gs, can I get the 3gs unlocked by Rogers by paying them $50? (I have no intension of terminating my Rogers contract before it expires)

Appreciate if anyone from Rogers can advise on this, thanks.

******* Edit labels ********

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Rogers iPhone unlock policy

Rogers will unlock devices but they are certain criteria to do so:

1.) The device was purchased outright. Meaning you paid the full retail price without the discount associated with signing a contract.

OR

2.) The contact that the device is associated to has finished. Ex: you get a phone for $99 on a three year term. The device would be eligible for unlocking after those 3years.

Those are the ones i got from retention & from a few costumer service reps i spoke to & a post i saw.

*** UPDATE ***

There are two criterias for unlocking a Rogers device:

1) The device was purchased outright (as mentioned by Meowmix)

2) The device has been active on the account for minimum of 90 Days

(*No need to wait for the term to be over*)

If either criterias are met then the phone can be unlocked for $50 + Tax.

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

All Replies
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

You need to call Rogers about that. I see no reason why you should not be able to get it unlocked. Sometimes Rogers will ask you if you are leaving in order for them to unlock it for you.
Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Post back if they let you, I have the same situation and it would be interesting.
Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Rogers will unlock devices but they are certain criteria to do so:

1.) The device was purchased outright. Meaning you paid the full retail price without the discount associated with signing a contract.

OR

2.) The contact that the device is associated to has finished. Ex: you get a phone for $99 on a three year term. The device would be eligible for unlocking after those 3years.

Those are the ones i got from retention & from a few costumer service reps i spoke to & a post i saw.

*** UPDATE ***

There are two criterias for unlocking a Rogers device:

1) The device was purchased outright (as mentioned by Meowmix)

2) The device has been active on the account for minimum of 90 Days

(*No need to wait for the term to be over*)

If either criterias are met then the phone can be unlocked for $50 + Tax.

Hope that helps.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Hello, I have a situation regarding the new iPhone 4S.

I purchased a sealed in a box iphone 4S from a guy i found on kijiji and he showed me the papers that maches the serial number and imei number that it is an upgrade from his contract with Fido. He simply doesn't  want to use the iPhone 4S for he loves using his Blackberry. I paid him cash and went to Rogers to have a micro sim of my existing number with them and have it activated and it works fine.

My question is, is this because Fido and Rogers sim cards can work fine on either of their iPhones? Or maybe the phone that I bought is simply a factory unlock? If it is not a factory unlock, can I have it unlock over Rogers and just pay the $50 fee? I'm pretty sure the original owner is still on a contract with Fido for he just got an upgrade phone. I really want this phone to be factory unlock so that I can use this outside of Canada. My original phone that i signed with rogers is BB Torch.

Any inputs is greatly appreciated.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

register the imei on your account first, then try and asking for the unlock.

I've Been Around

Hello. I have one iPhone4. I bought it for full price. I would like to unlock it. How I can do it? iPhone in the Russia right now. 

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Rogers phone unlock policy

sir 

I bought my iphone 4 with contract from Rogers a year ago and soon after iPhone 4s released, I bought one (unlocked) from Apple Store.

Appreciate if anyone from Rogers can advise on this, thanks.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

the only way you can have the orginal iphone unlocked is to

1st buy out the contract

then you can pay $50 to have the phone unlocked

hope this helps

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

We all posted the same thing Kstar. They need to read the posts again. Also what you posted is also wrong... Even if you buy out the contract they do not let you unlock the phone. Already check on the Rogers Redboard forums & this is not true what you said. Second post with Wrong info..