Rogers has worst Netflix performance in Canada! Why?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

Re: Rogers has worst Netflix performance in Canada! Why?

@Gdkitty wrote:
Obtaining shows by those means is technically illegal and should not be discussed on these forums.

As well not everyone has a device or tv capable of playback for computer files on their tv.

While I agree with the legal point, I think the overwhelming majority of bluray players have the ability to play just about every kind of downloaded content. Same with smart TVs.

So I think that devices capable of playing MKVs or XViD or whatever are at least as common as Netflix-on-your-TV devices...

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

@gisuck wrote:

Is it all Rogers customers streaming content from Netflix Canada or does it include Rogers customers using USA Proxy servers so they can get Netflix USA streaming content as well?

By definition, the proxy customers... are going to show up with the U.S. proxy server's IP.

There are some proxy servers that pass on headers (e.g. X-Forwarded-For) indicating what the original client's IP was. I would HOPE that no commercial 'use our proxies to view Netflix content' service would do that, though - if Netflix has any way of knowing the original Canadian IP, it would make it very easy for them to say 'hey, you sneaky Rogers customer, no American content for you."

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@RichardA wrote:

Its funny to see all the Rogers supporters here saying things like "Oh we dont know how the data was collected, or which devices were counted, and this and that". They make it seem like only Rogers was subjected to this system of analysis and the other ISPs were given the green flag to move on through with reasonably little hardship. Clearly the facts show that Rogers is the worst, there is no refuting that at this point. Unless Netflix has it out for Rogers and is pushing this out as propaganda I don't see there being anything wrong or misleading about this information. People need to stop sticking up for Rogers and open their eyes for a change.

Open to what though?

Yes, ok rogers is the lowest then.
And?
Myself and others in this thread (as well as i can count about 20 people i know), that use rogers for netflix, without issue.
So.. if your able to view netflix at that lower speed without a problem... what difference does it make?

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I find it odd that Rogers posted the following comment on Redboard:

"Netflix’s test was done just before we virtually doubled Netflix capacity and we’ll continue to add more capacity as it’s needed. These results only apply to customers’ specific Netflix connection and not overall internet speeds."

http://redboard.rogers.com/2014/more-bandwidth-for-netflix-customers/

Does this mean that Rogers was engaging in some kind of traffic management (throttling) just for Netflix? If so, it is not a matter of "so what". It should have been disclosed as per CRTC regulations and I do not believe Rogers ever did this! So even if you use Netflix without issues, that is not the point!

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

@Kiwi7 wrote:

Does this mean that Rogers was engaging in some kind of traffic management (throttling) just for Netflix? If so, it is not a matter of "so what". It should have been disclosed as per CRTC regulations and I do not believe Rogers ever did this! So even if you use Netflix without issues, that is not the point!

I don't think ANY ISP (in Canada or elsewhere) would be stupid enough to engage in any kind of traffic management on Netflix traffic.

Why not? Because they have the CRTC (and every other similar regulator) on speed dial. And while I personally would tend to take the ISPs' side over Netflix's, I also recognize that Netflix is very, very, very good at presenting its case. Netflix is not BitTorrent (which used to get its traffic shaped into oblivion precisely because it didn't have good lobbyists and PR consultants)...

Now, some ISPs in the U.S. are (or at least have been accused of) taking a different approach, i.e. not upgrading the paths between them and Netflix (which may involve third-parties like Level 3, Cogent, etc.) and letting congestion serve as de-facto traffic management. And I think it is going to come back to bite them... but that's another story.

Frankly, I think any reasonable ISP should probably just set up some 10GbE interconnects directly into Netflix's home-grown CDN and upgrade them the instant they hit 60-70% utilization. If the Netflix traffic gets too high and keeping up gets too expensive, bill their subscribers for the GB used, neutrally.

In this case, what I think the Rogers PR language means is that the numbers quoted by Netflix apply to Netflix traffic, and that Netflix isn't saying that Rogers customers get 1.whatever megabits/sec to the rest of the Internet. But, as is usually the case when PR folks write about telecom, they chose horrible wording and made things more confusing.

Highlighted
I've Been Around

Personally, my Netflix is capped at 1050kbps, yet I have 35mbps service. I have no problem, either wired, or wireless watching 1080p videos on youtube or other sites, yet Netflix will not reach 720p, and I will have frequent blurring/buffering.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Iyokus wrote:

Personally, my Netflix is capped at 1050kbps, yet I have 35mbps service. I have no problem, either wired, or wireless watching 1080p videos on youtube or other sites, yet Netflix will not reach 720p, and I will have frequent blurring/buffering.

I beleive the only way to get anything HIGHER than 720 on netflix, is with a super HD compatable device.
I know i can get 1080 with mine (a compatable LG TV)

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Doubleing capacity, doesnt mean, that they were 'restricting the flow' so to speek, by something like traffic shaping.

EG: if they only had a 1g link to it... oops, thats not enough for EVERYONE to go through, lets add another 1g link.
Is it still restrictive to the customer? Yes

But there is a difference between just not having a big enough pipe say vs having that pipe, but restricting the flow.

MY understanding, on how it all works... is for more 'peered' partners, rather than just across full regular internet... they use the OPENCONNECT.. a piece (or pieces) of hardware.. which more do the direct linking to netflix.

This is also what allows people to get stuff in superHD (if the ISP doesnt have open connect, no superHD regardless of your device).

I am not sure, how much or many of these things, are needed to do it?
(netflix has taken down all their support/info pages on these from their website)

I dont know, if its a 'one box can handle X amount of traffic, etc' sort of thing.
Its possible that they didnt have ENOUGH of these, the connection to them, etc, in place... and that is how/what they doubled recently.

HOPEFULLY, its hasn't/isnt any for of traffic shaping..
they got in enough trouble over that with the P2P shaping they did before.

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Apparently Jack Sparrow, nobody from Rogers is going to comment to your request.   

Highlighted
I'm an Advisor

@Gdkitty wrote:

MY understanding, on how it all works... is for more 'peered' partners, rather than just across full regular internet... they use the OPENCONNECT.. a piece (or pieces) of hardware.. which more do the direct linking to netflix.

This is also what allows people to get stuff in superHD (if the ISP doesnt have open connect, no superHD regardless of your device).

I think there are two options under OpenConnect:

1) A private link directly into Netflix's network.

2) Netflix hardware being located at the ISP's facilities.

Both of those will clearly have a maximum capacity...