cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers has worst Netflix performance in Canada! Why?

Jack_Sparrow74
I Plan to Stick Around

So there is a very interesting chart available on Netflix

http://ispspeedindex.netflix.com/canada

anyone from Rogers care to comment on these findings, and explain why their key competitors are twice as fast?

***edited labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Rogers has worst Netflix performance in Canada! Why?

Thats just it.. ANY form of that sort of list.. COULD be verry BIASED.

(even disregarding wireless, as wayner92 mentioned)

Sure, it shows the overall average.

But how much of that, is the USER ends fault, per say?

For example, you take a group of 100 rogers users.
If you take all those 100, that are on a 60m package or higher.  I am sure those #'s are going to be MUCH higher.

But the people its pulling from.... how many are on LITE internet?

How many of the people, are still on single channel D2 modems, etc?

There are MANY things, which could bring the AVERAGE down.
Its not to say, that rogers can NOT provide at the higher speeds.. could just bee the average user is using something that can be lowering the %.

I have only been on the 25 (now 30) mbps package, and have NEVER had a streaming issue with netflix (never a delay, stop, buffering, etc), and thats also using a SUPER HD compatable device (so pulling the MAX throughput quality wise as well)

View solution in original post

39 REPLIES 39

wayner92
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Very surprising - I don't quite understand why this is the case unless Rogers 3G/LTE service is lumped together with wired broadband.  There is no reason that Rogers shouldn't be the same speed or faster than the others.

I am a HEAVY online streaming customer for both Netlfix and Amazon streaming (about 300GB per month) and I don't have any issues at all but then I am on Rogers' Ultimate 250 service.

Thats just it.. ANY form of that sort of list.. COULD be verry BIASED.

(even disregarding wireless, as wayner92 mentioned)

Sure, it shows the overall average.

But how much of that, is the USER ends fault, per say?

For example, you take a group of 100 rogers users.
If you take all those 100, that are on a 60m package or higher.  I am sure those #'s are going to be MUCH higher.

But the people its pulling from.... how many are on LITE internet?

How many of the people, are still on single channel D2 modems, etc?

There are MANY things, which could bring the AVERAGE down.
Its not to say, that rogers can NOT provide at the higher speeds.. could just bee the average user is using something that can be lowering the %.

I have only been on the 25 (now 30) mbps package, and have NEVER had a streaming issue with netflix (never a delay, stop, buffering, etc), and thats also using a SUPER HD compatable device (so pulling the MAX throughput quality wise as well)

View solution in original post

VivienM
I'm an Advisor

Also, what about the routers? I doubt you can stream Netflix very fast on 2.4GHz wifi with a CGN2...

lokidude
I've Been Here Awhile

Rogers just told me on facebook that this test was done "Just before we doubled our netflix capacity" and that is why it shows so slow.

I'm not even sure what that means.  Does rogers have special capacity just for netflix?  Or as is more likely, does rogers throttle netflix traffic to a slower speed because they are planning to launch their own netflix like service?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/rogers-may-launch-netflix-rival-for-100m-1.2491463

based on most of my experience with rogers and their business practices I'm guessing it's the latter.

Anyone here want to comment on what "Doubling our netflix capacity" actually means?

I suspect Netflix traffic is being sent through direct private interconnects and/or CDN servers hosted in Rogers facilities. And they might have recently doubled the capacity of that...

lokidude
I've Been Here Awhile

That is possible, in which case we should see a vast improvement of their ranking in next months report.

I'm not going to hold my breath though.

Smartswine
I Plan to Stick Around
"there are 3 kinds of lies - lies, damned lies, and statistics"

Cant seem to find it anymore on the netflix website.. may not be there anymore..

USED to be an ISP section, which sort of explained WHAT an ISP needed to do, to have, to have a proper interconnect with netflix, etc to be able to provide better service, SUPER HD, etc.

Its possible that this interconnect is what was just changed, upgraded?

DrMike
I'm a Trusted Contributor

I really wonder about the validity of this. I agree wiht GDKitty above that this might be very biased.

Not sure how valid this is? Does it weight the results according to the internet packages of the people using NetFlix? If the average Bell user has a higher speed option than the average Rogers user, then these results are suspect. I bet there are a lot more Rogers customers with lower speed cable tiers than Bell fibre customers, for example.It would have to be adjusted/weighted for the user base to be valid. Maybe it was, but I do wonder. 

Not a Rogers apologist at all, but it has to be a fair comparison to be valid.

@DrMike wrote:

Not sure how valid this is? Does it weight the results according to the internet packages of the people using NetFlix? If the average Bell user has a higher speed option than the average Rogers user, then these results are suspect. I bet there are a lot more Rogers customers with lower speed cable tiers than Bell fibre customers, for example.It would have to be adjusted/weighted for the user base to be valid. Maybe it was, but I do wonder. 

Not a Rogers apologist at all, but it has to be a fair comparison to be valid.

Netflix has no idea what Internet packages people have subscribed to...

FWIW, I suspect that Bell customers have lower speeds than Rogers customers. All the Bell marketing is for lower speed, lower cap packages with lower monthly fees. And I suspect more tech-savvy users use Rogers or a third-party ISP, not Bell...

I suspect that all they do is measure the speed of the stream served to a given IP, look up what ISP that IP belongs to, and then aggregate that data.

TeDD13
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Quite a surprise really. I am a regular netflix user and never ever had a problem with netflix both on wired and wireless. Quality had been exceptional.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I beleive it was the national post.. or could have been another (was reading like 4-5 articles on this last night :P)

One of them, talked to netflix about it.. and brought up a REALLY good point.

Netflix, was just collecting the data...but again, not really SPECIFICS... as even from where/how.

Data, collected from someone watching on an iphone 4, on a wireless G connection, at the far side of their house, where they have a LOW signal.

Without knowing specifics like that.. could be that at the time collected, more people were doing on WORSE types of connections, we dont know.

As well brought up, that it doesnt take the QUALITY streaming into account.. i would assume that the lower quality streams, push at a LOWER bitrate?  Would that not effect the overall average, if everyone was streaming at a lower quality?

-----------

I am not saying this data is WRONG.. its quite possible rogers is the lowest...
But there is ALOT of data missing, to make it QUANTIFIABLE.

Wired/Wireless, on rogers, 25-30m package, with High to Super HD quality, i have never had an issue with Rogers.. so i guess thats whats important.

gisuck

Personally, I want to see more disclosure on how they are getting these numbers. Having numbers is great, but what does the numbers represent? Is it all Rogers customers streaming content from Netflix Canada or does it include Rogers customers using USA Proxy servers so they can get Netflix USA streaming content as well?

At least have a whitepaper or something on what you are doing.

gisuck

There isn't anything wrong with the 2.4GHz WiFi band on streaming netflix, as even a suitable 10mbps connection can stream SuperHD service with adequate bandwidth. 

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@gisuck wrote:

There isn't anything wrong with the 2.4GHz WiFi band on streaming netflix, as even a suitable 10mbps connection can stream SuperHD service with adequate bandwidth. 

Thats one of the key things i was trying to say.

If I am able to stream super HD fine, EVEN IF that value is correct... what difference does it make?

I wonder though too.. Netflix would record this, based on IP, i would assume?
So, 3 devices, same house, would have the same IP.
Would 3 people streaming at the same time, not show a potentially larger pull, than a house with only 1 device streaming?

I subscribe to Netflix and have the Extreme Plus package. I watch everything in Super HD and have never had a single issue with performance. The quality is quite amazing. I never use wireless for Netflix, though.

I too was surprised to see the Netflix statistics and am skeptical.

TigerEROS
I Plan to Stick Around

Netflix is NOT a concern for me ... I have been downloading drama series (Bones, NCIS, etc) and then saving the MKV files on a USB ... plug it into the desktop that I hooked up to my TV and then using VLC to watch the HD quality downloads ... no commercials!

Besides ... cable is ONLY great for live feeds (ie. Sports) ...

Also, PVRs are useless when you have internet to download the episodes ... you can find series from years ago if you want to watch them (ie MASH, Dukes of Hazard) ...

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Obtaining shows by those means is technically illegal and should not be discussed on these forums.

As well not everyone has a device or tv capable of playback for computer files on their tv.

RichardA
I Plan to Stick Around

Its funny to see all the Rogers supporters here saying things like "Oh we dont know how the data was collected, or which devices were counted, and this and that". They make it seem like only Rogers was subjected to this system of analysis and the other ISPs were given the green flag to move on through with reasonably little hardship. Clearly the facts show that Rogers is the worst, there is no refuting that at this point. Unless Netflix has it out for Rogers and is pushing this out as propaganda I don't see there being anything wrong or misleading about this information. People need to stop sticking up for Rogers and open their eyes for a change.

@Gdkitty wrote:
Obtaining shows by those means is technically illegal and should not be discussed on these forums.

As well not everyone has a device or tv capable of playback for computer files on their tv.

While I agree with the legal point, I think the overwhelming majority of bluray players have the ability to play just about every kind of downloaded content. Same with smart TVs.

So I think that devices capable of playing MKVs or XViD or whatever are at least as common as Netflix-on-your-TV devices...