Rogers has worst Netflix performance in Canada! Why?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Jack_Sparrow74
I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers has worst Netflix performance in Canada! Why?

So there is a very interesting chart available on Netflix

http://ispspeedindex.netflix.com/canada

anyone from Rogers care to comment on these findings, and explain why their key competitors are twice as fast?

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.

Accepted Solutions
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Rogers has worst Netflix performance in Canada! Why?

Thats just it.. ANY form of that sort of list.. COULD be verry BIASED.

(even disregarding wireless, as wayner92 mentioned)

Sure, it shows the overall average.

But how much of that, is the USER ends fault, per say?

For example, you take a group of 100 rogers users.
If you take all those 100, that are on a 60m package or higher.  I am sure those #'s are going to be MUCH higher.

But the people its pulling from.... how many are on LITE internet?

How many of the people, are still on single channel D2 modems, etc?

There are MANY things, which could bring the AVERAGE down.
Its not to say, that rogers can NOT provide at the higher speeds.. could just bee the average user is using something that can be lowering the %.

I have only been on the 25 (now 30) mbps package, and have NEVER had a streaming issue with netflix (never a delay, stop, buffering, etc), and thats also using a SUPER HD compatable device (so pulling the MAX throughput quality wise as well)

View solution in original post

All Replies
wayner92
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Very surprising - I don't quite understand why this is the case unless Rogers 3G/LTE service is lumped together with wired broadband.  There is no reason that Rogers shouldn't be the same speed or faster than the others.

I am a HEAVY online streaming customer for both Netlfix and Amazon streaming (about 300GB per month) and I don't have any issues at all but then I am on Rogers' Ultimate 250 service.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Thats just it.. ANY form of that sort of list.. COULD be verry BIASED.

(even disregarding wireless, as wayner92 mentioned)

Sure, it shows the overall average.

But how much of that, is the USER ends fault, per say?

For example, you take a group of 100 rogers users.
If you take all those 100, that are on a 60m package or higher.  I am sure those #'s are going to be MUCH higher.

But the people its pulling from.... how many are on LITE internet?

How many of the people, are still on single channel D2 modems, etc?

There are MANY things, which could bring the AVERAGE down.
Its not to say, that rogers can NOT provide at the higher speeds.. could just bee the average user is using something that can be lowering the %.

I have only been on the 25 (now 30) mbps package, and have NEVER had a streaming issue with netflix (never a delay, stop, buffering, etc), and thats also using a SUPER HD compatable device (so pulling the MAX throughput quality wise as well)

View solution in original post

VivienM
I'm an Advisor

Also, what about the routers? I doubt you can stream Netflix very fast on 2.4GHz wifi with a CGN2...

lokidude
I've Been Here Awhile

Rogers just told me on facebook that this test was done "Just before we doubled our netflix capacity" and that is why it shows so slow.

I'm not even sure what that means.  Does rogers have special capacity just for netflix?  Or as is more likely, does rogers throttle netflix traffic to a slower speed because they are planning to launch their own netflix like service?

http://www.cbc.ca/news/business/rogers-may-launch-netflix-rival-for-100m-1.2491463

based on most of my experience with rogers and their business practices I'm guessing it's the latter.

Anyone here want to comment on what "Doubling our netflix capacity" actually means?

VivienM
I'm an Advisor

I suspect Netflix traffic is being sent through direct private interconnects and/or CDN servers hosted in Rogers facilities. And they might have recently doubled the capacity of that...

lokidude
I've Been Here Awhile

That is possible, in which case we should see a vast improvement of their ranking in next months report.

I'm not going to hold my breath though.

Smartswine
I Plan to Stick Around

"there are 3 kinds of lies - lies, damned lies, and statistics"
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Cant seem to find it anymore on the netflix website.. may not be there anymore..

USED to be an ISP section, which sort of explained WHAT an ISP needed to do, to have, to have a proper interconnect with netflix, etc to be able to provide better service, SUPER HD, etc.

Its possible that this interconnect is what was just changed, upgraded?

DrMike
I'm a Trusted Contributor

I really wonder about the validity of this. I agree wiht GDKitty above that this might be very biased.

Not sure how valid this is? Does it weight the results according to the internet packages of the people using NetFlix? If the average Bell user has a higher speed option than the average Rogers user, then these results are suspect. I bet there are a lot more Rogers customers with lower speed cable tiers than Bell fibre customers, for example.It would have to be adjusted/weighted for the user base to be valid. Maybe it was, but I do wonder. 

Not a Rogers apologist at all, but it has to be a fair comparison to be valid.