cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers has a new gateway coming up! - CGN3

Gurkamal
I Plan to Stick Around

I was recently looking at the wifi certificates for several routers and gateways on the wifi alliance's certification site, and I stumbled upon a device named CGN3-ROG. This device is dated to have received it's certificate on June 6 of 2013, and having the -ROG suffix means its a rogers device, just as with the CGN2-ROG. The certificate is linked below, along with a link to the CGN3 and it's specifications.

http://certifications.wi-fi.org/pdf_certificate.php?cid=WFA20016

http://www.hitron-americas.com/products/cgn3/

The CGN3 is an upgraded version of the CGN2, providing even faster speeds, and a 5ghz wifi 3 stream wifi band, along with a 3 stream 2.4 ghz wifi band. 

The fact that it has just recently showed up on the site means that it must be currently in testing by Rogers, since the device itself isn't exactly "new".

Along with the 5ghz band though, it also seems to missing key features that the CGN2 has, namely WMM power save, and many of the option capabilities that allow devices to perform better over wireless N.

Hopefully it's better than the mess that the CGN2 was! Smiley Very Happy

Edit: I was also able to find another link pertaining to the CGN3-ROG and release notes about something, not too sure what it means though: ftp://222.92.145.140/CGN3/CGN3ROG-4.1.4.1/2GX2/CGN3-ROG%20Release%20Notes-04-22-13.doc

***edited labels***

79 REPLIES 79

Re: Rogers has a new gateway coming up! - CGN3

Gurkamal
I Plan to Stick Around

In the release notes in that last link, cisco connect was mentioned, so this is definitely rogers! No surprises there!

TeDD13
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Interesting, this device supports up to 24 bonded downstream channels, which seems to be way to much for now:) But technically, device is far more superior than CGN2. Can't wait to check out its wireless component. Three antennas and dual band capability could actually perform well. Any indication when the gateway will be available through Rogers?

Gurkamal
I Plan to Stick Around

All i can see is that the wireless component was certified a few weeks ago, and that its been in testing since around April as the firmware release notes suggest for the CGN3-ROG. 24 bonded channels does seem like overkill, but maybe they're planning on gigabit speeds 😄 You never know!

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Maybe trying to future proof a bit, even though not used now, could possibly used in the future, for even higher speeds.

Frazzled
I'm a Reliable Contributor

OH WOW! Another Rogers gateway! This announcement is about as exciting as watching paint dry! Every time that Rogers has introduced a new gateway, people have had their hopes raised, thinking that finally, a new modem that may be better than the garbage modem I have now. All Rogers needs to do is to push one of their infamous firmware updates and the thing will be just another piece of Rogers overpriced, problem riddled hardware. Thanks Rogers!

Reading up a bit more. This guy is NEW, no one is using it yet as its not released but a number are testing. (So no real 'usage' reviews on it yet)

It can supports on North American signal lengths, it could reach up to 960mbps.
Some tech reviews are reviewing it fairly well, based on specs. The number of antennas, the atom processor in it (same as a netbook) , they are saying it has potential to work better than most existing.

Frazzled is right that rogers track record is poor though.
Unless this device DOES perform as a gateway SHOULD properly, they should not release it.

Gurkamal
I Plan to Stick Around

Edit: NVM

Can't seem to find it anywhere on FCC pages, whereas everything one would need to know about the CGN2 is up on the FCC site. 

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
From what I read was still testing for all companies (and did say rogers). May not show on FCC unless it is am official in use device?

TeDD13

It seems that HITRON has stand-alone D3 modem available for every type of gateway. Hitron CDA-30360 modem (http://www.hitron-americas.com/products/cca-30360/) is exactly the same modem component that CGN2 uses and Hitron CDA-32372 (http://www.hitron-americas.com/products/cda-32372/) is the same component as CGN3 gateway will use. If Rogers approves Hitron gateways for the use on their network there is no reason why it cannot allow stand alone modems exactly the same type. Did anyone, by any chance, try to activate those Hitron modems?

Gurkamal
I Plan to Stick Around

I believe that Hitron only sells its modems exclusively to MSO's Smiley Frustrated

TeDD13

What is MSO?

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello TeDD13

A simple Google search showed that its called " Multiple-system operator "

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Multiple-system_operator

Gurkamal
I Plan to Stick Around

Does it need to go through FCC if it's not intended to be used in the US, but in Canada?

Also, doesn't IC (industry Canada) also have information on products like the FCC does? I noticed that every product I have that has an FCC ID also has an Industry Canada ID, and so I assume that IC does the same thing with products that the FCC does.

Gurkamal
I Plan to Stick Around

Their stand-alone modems look horrible Smiley Sad

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Mso's are pretty much ISPs.

The devices are only sold to ISPs to rent or re sell, but not sold to retailers to sell, etc.

gisuck
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Looks like Rogers is investigating the next speed bump it wants to do. With this modem doing 24 downstream channel bonding and 8 upstream channel bonding definitely gives them a lot of growth to do so. Maybe 250mbps downstream will be in the Ultimate teir future? That'd be sweet.

Re: Rogers has a new gateway coming up! - CGN3.. VERDICT: proceed with CAUTION!

gef123gf
I've Been Here Awhile

Interested to know how others have fared with the new Hitron CGN3?  Or Hitron devices in general?

For me CGN2 was no improvement - a step backward in fact - and my CGN3 experience was abysmal.   In sum Hitron devices don't cut it.  I've fared much better with Rogers' Cisco DPC3825 wireless/internet gateway.  Btw, I use the Rogers device for both the internet connection and as a wireless gateway for connecting local WLAN devices in my house.  There are also a number devices that are direct ethernet-connected to my Rogers gateway: NAS, smart TV, digital receiver, VoIP phone.

Details...

Aug 19 - Sep 20 Hitron CGN3 experience summary:

• Completely unstable from the get go, dropped internet and wireless connections multiple times every day requiring rebooting the gateway
  • DHCP/DNS issues - e.g. duplicate IP addresses being assigned to separate WLAN connected devices with different MAC addresses.  In dual 5g and 2.4ghz mode, the 5g connection would present itself to some devices (Win7 + IOS) but not others (Win8 laptop)
  • Numerous calls to Rogers Tech Support and escalation to Customer Advocacy Team
  • Numerous on-site visits by Rogers technicians and a supervisor to trouble-shoot.  Several changes made - e.g. outside box connectors, inside signal strength refinements, connector and cable swaps, etc. - but no impact.  Even resetting the CGN3 device to factory settings and hard resets
  • Finally, with a total of 3 new Hitron CGN3's being swapped over the 1-month period without any improvement, swapping out the Hitron CGN3 for the Cisco DPC3825 immediately addressed the problem: Internet stable, wireless stable, VoIP stable for 3 days now

I am a previous user of the Cisco DPC3825 gateway with great success: solid internet, wireless and VoIP experience.  I switched to Hitron CGN2 several months ago on the advice of the Rogers Help Desk with the promise of greater performance, stability and WLAN coverage to get to a dead spot on the 2nd storey of my house.  The CGN2 was stable but noticed a drop in VoIP quality.  WLAN coverage was no better still requiring use of an Amped wireless repeater.  And switching to CGN3 was a nightmare.

My advice:  If you have CGN3 and are experiencing issues, consider reverting back to an older model until Rogers can stablize it.  If you are contemplating moving to the CGN3, think again.  I will be sticking with my Cisco DPC3825.

TeDD13

I used two CGN3s for a month without any issue...

Hogwash
I'm a Senior Contributor

@TeDD13 wrote:

I used two CGN3s for a month without any issue...

Well, demands made on a Gateway's performance vary greatly. What may seem adequate to one user is unacceptable to another. There is no 'one size fits all' solution.

One month's experience with ANY product is MINIMAL at best without detailed usage requirements and under what conditions etc the Gateway was operating.

It's an in depth experienced synopsis, like the above posted by gef123gf, that give the most reliable performance predictions to be attained from the Hitron CGN3 Gateway.

Especially when this reported performance is very similar to many other reports in many forums.

Yea I know, this post is total "Hogwash"

TeDD13

Agree. Different users have different demands. However, based on the fact that none of the previous Rogers gateways could boast with stable good wireless, CGN3 actually did have one - and on both bands. For an average user, who does not need advanced routing features, like port forwarding - CGN3, in my opinion, is an excellent solution. It can perform basic routing functions and have excellent wireless.

It is only due to the fact that I needed advanced routing functions I returned CGN3 and took my DPC3825 back and paired it to 3rd party router. It was actually my first Rogers gateway which I was a bit sad to part ways with. 

Only because some users had bad experience with CGN3 does not mean that CGN3 hardware is bad. And CGN3 had not been on the market enough to draw any kind of conclusion, only first impression.

Also, keep in mind, that CGN3 operates on Rogers' firmware which is only on its first version and future firmware updates might make CGN3 performance even better.

So, I am not ready to make any conclusions regarding CGN3 just yet. I had pleasant experience with it and looking forward to future firmaware updates to CGN3 and also looking forward to test CGN4 sometimes in the coming year or two.

Topic Stats