Rogers has a new gateway coming up! - CGN3

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Rogers has a new gateway coming up! - CGN3

@kubmeister wrote:

My CGN3 is on HW Version 1A and SW version 4.1.4.5.  I just got it after uprading to the Hybrid Fibre 60 package.  Previous to that I had CGN2 which i hated.  I perfer the management options of the CGN3 much more but it is very buggy.  The screen doesn't refresh properly in IE11.  Anyone else find it that same?  Chrome has problem running on my W7 so can't try that as alternative.

On a side note, anyone know if Rogers will be getting the new CGN4 which has N + AC wireless networking?

Some of the management stuff is buggy, and mostly fixed in the 4.2.4.3 patch.. so hopefully that should be pushed out to you in a few days.

I am running IE11, and seems to refresh fine with 4.2.4.1 (which i am on)

Just took a look at the new CGN4 there.  That would be an nice unit for them to look at.  Some good future proofing getting the AC.
(though.. its odd though.. looked through all the documentation.. cant see WHAT AC standard it is.. 1200, 1750, 1900, etc)

I Plan to Stick Around

Thank you rogers !!! As promoised within 48hrs

Docsis Logs
The docsis event logs is shown here

No Time type Priority Event
1 04/13/14 09:16:56 69010100 notice SW Download INIT - Via NMS
2 04/13/14 09:20:23 69011100 notice SW download Successful - Via NMS

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

As of this AM, i am on the 4.2.4.3 patch as well Smiley Happy

Actually tried loging in via the mobile phone the other day while internal... suprised to say, they have a NICE mobile browser based interface for it Smiley Happy

I'm a Reliable Contributor

I just upgraded to Rogers Internet Hybrid 60/10 from Rogers Extreme (previously at 35/3 and was on this for many years).   Slightly lower price now and was looking forward to the higher upload at 10 Mbits/sec.  I was surprised though that I was told that I had to upgrade my gateway/router as well and could no longer use the Cisco DPC3825 Docsys 3.0 unit.    I would have expected that the Cisco was still more than capable for the 60/10 speed of Hybrid 60.   In any case since the unit rental is now included in the slightly lower price, I went to the store and swapped it out for a CGN3.    I was worried to get one of these given all the problems people have reported here with the firmware and software on this device being unstable and not providing full speed subscribed for.

I brought the CGN3 home and connected it and worked right away.   In default gateway mode though I immediately had a problem with download speed in that I was only getting about 10 Mbits/sec download but was getting the full 10 Mbits/sec upload so I knew the account have been modified with the new device.   I had read in this forum that others have had a similar problem.   Based on what I saw with the new CGN3 I believe I don't have the upgraded firmware on the device yet.  

Rather than getting on the phone with tech support i decided to just put the device into bridge mode as that is how I would operate anyway and in bridge mode with all gateway functions turned off, all is well now.   I'm now getting over 80 Mbits/sec download consistently and 10 upload (I know Turboboost makes the download numbers better than they really are) so for now I'm happy.   

Now to see if the service is as reliable as it was with my old Cisco gateway over the next few days.   Hopefully I will receive the upgraded firmware soon enough as well.  

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Without it on the newest firmware.. it might have an issue where you need to reboot it in a few days.. but that is fixed with the new firmware, and hopefully should have it by then.

While i wasnt on the newest firmware, i was just barely a sub version off.. no issues getting the 30 speeds here.. but most seem to have an even older version right out of the box, so could be it was partially fixed by the version i had.

What i am GUESSING, is they are trying to get more and more over to the CGN3... well ontop of the potential $ rental increase... is the channels.
The more channels you have, and that your usage is devided amongst them, the LESS you get congestion.
This was the BIG issue with the D2s.. while they could get the SPEED of some packages.. often only 1 channel.
The cisco 3825 is only an 8 downstream modem... vs the CGN3 is a 24 channel.

Myself, being on just even the 30/5 package.. it spreads it across 20 channels.

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I too have just "upgraded" to the CGN3 as a result of my move to Hybrid Fibre 250. I've had to power cycle the thing three times now. However, I did force it to bridge mode even before letting it connect to the internet once last night when I got it home. I've factory reset it and its at 4.2.4.1 firmware.

I've read in multiple places that 4.2.4.3 is performing much nicer for folks. So I'm heading out town for the weekend and will leave it in its normal gateway state. Hopefully the updated firmware will get pushed while I'm away.

- D

I'm a Regular

I'm having the same issue with my hybrid 60. Slow speeds, high ping with packet loss. Coming from extream + didn't have any issues like this. So how's your speeds now?

Not sure who you are asking question to but as of today, I have Hybrid 60 for 24 hours now.   I too had no issues with my older Cisco DPC3825 router and Extreme.   On Hybrid 60 and CGN3 I still don't have firmware upgraded yet so am still on 4.1.4.5.   Waiting a few days to see how long it might take for it to happen on its own before I call in to have them force upgrade to 4.2.4.3.

With firmware 4.1.4.5 Gateway mode just doesn't work properly.   Best download speed I get is about 10 Mbits/sec which is pathetic.   Speed is also unstable and varies a lot.  GUI interface is very buggy also.    Haven't tried wireless on this unit as a gateway as I use my own router for that so can't be bothered.

In bridge mode with all Gateway functions turned off all is well for now with stability and good speeds.   Will see if this changes in next few days.   See my comment above for other details.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@techguy001 wrote:

I was surprised though that I was told that I had to upgrade my gateway/router as well and could no longer use the Cisco DPC3825 Docsys 3.0 unit.    I would have expected that the Cisco was still more than capable for the 60/10 speed of Hybrid 60. 

Ultimately, it comes down to one simple technical fact: the Cisco can bond 8 downstream DOCSIS 3 channels (so a total of 304 megabits/sec) while the CGN3 can do up to 24 channels (right now, in my area at least, Rogers has 20 channels deployed, so 760 megabits/sec). Keep in mind that these channels are shared with your neighbours... 

Rogers wants you to use a device that can balance your 60 megabits of traffic across 20 channels instead of across 8. And, while I also miss my Cisco, I think that that makes sound engineering sense... they want to have the highest-traffic customers using the newest, most efficient, easiest-to-scale technology. It happened in 2003-2004 when they got every technical user to buy D2 modems (and dump the Terayons) for the first-generation Extreme; it happened again a few years ago when they made the speeds/caps higher for the same price when running D3 hardware; and it's happening again now.

HI VivienM,

I get all that and was already aware, but that's a lot of equipment to write off across all their customer base.   Also, you would think that if they were changing their network for the better ( a positive thing ) that they would announce some of this stuff with more clarity and that they would co-ordinate all of this with their customers and notify them, including maybe updating their web site to show that?   As of now, they still have the same 3 modem devices listed for internet services as before the Hybrid change.  

I'm glad they are now including the gateway/modems in the package.   The HITRON CGN 3 at $ 12 / month is a rip-off and I would never have paid that much for such a terrible device as a router, especially how buggy it has been.   It really makes you wonder if Rogers ever tests anything before deploying it.  That's why I stayed on the previous devices for as long as I could.   As a modem the CGN3 seems ok even with 24 channels, but as a router at a list price of $ 250 it's ridiculous.  You can get the top of the line best AC level routers from ASUS or LINKSYS now for that price that are light years better. 

For me, these devices will only ever be used as a modem only device and will leave the routing and gateway functions to third-party devices that actually work.