cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers has a new gateway coming up! - CGN3

Gurkamal
I Plan to Stick Around

I was recently looking at the wifi certificates for several routers and gateways on the wifi alliance's certification site, and I stumbled upon a device named CGN3-ROG. This device is dated to have received it's certificate on June 6 of 2013, and having the -ROG suffix means its a rogers device, just as with the CGN2-ROG. The certificate is linked below, along with a link to the CGN3 and it's specifications.

http://certifications.wi-fi.org/pdf_certificate.php?cid=WFA20016

http://www.hitron-americas.com/products/cgn3/

The CGN3 is an upgraded version of the CGN2, providing even faster speeds, and a 5ghz wifi 3 stream wifi band, along with a 3 stream 2.4 ghz wifi band. 

The fact that it has just recently showed up on the site means that it must be currently in testing by Rogers, since the device itself isn't exactly "new".

Along with the 5ghz band though, it also seems to missing key features that the CGN2 has, namely WMM power save, and many of the option capabilities that allow devices to perform better over wireless N.

Hopefully it's better than the mess that the CGN2 was! Smiley Very Happy

Edit: I was also able to find another link pertaining to the CGN3-ROG and release notes about something, not too sure what it means though: ftp://222.92.145.140/CGN3/CGN3ROG-4.1.4.1/2GX2/CGN3-ROG%20Release%20Notes-04-22-13.doc

***edited labels***

79 REPLIES 79

Re: Rogers has a new gateway coming up! - CGN3.. VERDICT: proceed with CAUTION!

gef123gf
I've Been Here Awhile

To contiinue my earlier post, the Rogers technicians returned to my house yesterday to swap the loaner Cisco DPC3825 for a permanent one.  The connection has been stable this whole time.

He told me the difficulties with the CGN3 have been acknolwedged within Rogers at a high level and there are numerous customer complaints about the CGN3.

To clarify, I never commented that there was a hardware issue with the CGN3.  What I described was my experience.  Whether it is HW or firmware - the latter often being problematic with a newly released model - the bottom line is that a gateway that is not working is simply not working, buggy firmware or otherwise.  It's the user experience that matters and it is the obligation of Rogers to release products that meet quality thresholds before deploying en-masse to the install base.  The CGN3 did not meet my expectations as a customer.

Re: Rogers has a new gateway coming up! - CGN3

Gurkamal
I Plan to Stick Around

As posted on DSLR

"Arx160le: The modem that Rogers has given us and calls it the "cgn3" is actually a rebranded CGNDM (slower with only 16 channels downstream): »www.hitron-americas.com/products/cgndm/
If you look at the cgn3 ( »www.hitron-americas.com/products/cgn3 ) you can see that the colors and USB placement and the icons on the front are COMPLETELY different than what Rogers has given to us and called the cgn3, while everything on the slower and older CGNDM matches the modem that Rogers has gave us (other than the logo that Rogers has changed of course). This is also why many of you will notice that your "cgn3" only actually does 16 bonded downstream channels, instead of 24."

Re: Rogers has a new gateway coming up! - CGN3.. VERDICT: proceed with CAUTION!

nigelncwong
I Plan to Stick Around

I was using the CGN3 for a few days - a COMPLETE disaster total.

I took it back today and they have ran out of CGN2, so I am rocking the SMC which is also but at least it is stable.

My experience with CGN3:

Wireless - works quite well.  Seems stronger signal than CGN2.

The problem was with the ethernet connection (connecting directly to the modem).  I have a Lenovo which runs the Intel chipset that works fine but I have another dell inspiron 15 that runs the Realtek family (??) and that keeps connecting and disconnecting.  I also has a internet settop box that also keeps connecting and disconnecting.

Computers on the same network also cannot ping each other no matter what settings i tried.

Nigel

**Edited for content**

fishon
I Plan to Stick Around

Even though this gateway is labeled CGN3 it is actually the CGNM http://www.hitron-americas.com/products/cgnm/, not the CGNDM that someone had mentioned in an earlier post, which only has one usb port.  This brings me to my complaint.  Again, Rogers has disabled these two USB ports that could be used for NAS.  I understand that this would create a world of support problems, but couldn't they at least have them enabled with a "NO support Waiver".  How about a decent stand-alone modem Rogers, and leave the routing up to us!!!!

mikekujawski
I Plan to Stick Around

I would very much appreciate it if someone could answer the following:

Up until this morining I had a Cisco DPC3825 modem which I was running in bridged mode connected to my Netgear R6300 router.

Today I upgraded my internet package to "Ultimate" and I was told that I had to get the new Hitron CGN3ROG modem which I did. 

My question is, is it still worth bridging it to my Netgear R6300 router or should I use the wifi on the new modem and sell my router?

Thanks,

MK

I beleive for ultimate, one of the hitrons is a reqirement, due to its able to have more channels bonded that the others.

The CGN3's wireless by most reports is much better thant he built in on the other gateways.

So you can give it a try, keep it as just a gateway first, and guage the quality... if you find it not enough, can always add your other router back.

(though.. some people have found, in bridged.. they dont seem to be able to get TOP speeds, get faster straight through the gateway in gateway mode.)

TeDD13
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Short answer is NO.

It is not worth bridging CGN3 with a 3rd party router as CGN3 has excellent wireless on both bands and on 5G CGN3 actually has better signal strength comparable to R6300.

I used to have the DPC3825 paired with R6300 but after upgrading to CGN3 there was no more need for a third party router and I sold it.

The only drawback is that in case yo ushared a printer through R6300 you won't be able to use it with CGN3 as CGN3 only supports file sharing through USB port.

Msmrcka
I've Been Here Awhile

Hello,
I recently got this modem which works ok, however I would like to get better reception in others areas of my house.
What is my best bet to do that. Can I get another wireless router and connect it to the Rogers one I have?
Or is my Rogers router not as good as others available?
I find it works fine if you are near it, but go too far away and it drops right off.
My house is older so the walls may be effecting the performance.
Any advice would be appreciated.
Michael

Are you on the CGN3? or a different model?

You have a few options.. you can place the modem itself into bridged mode.. and put a 3rd party router in place.. it MIGHT give better signal overall (but if its a house interfearance issue, might not fully help).

One other option as well, is you can set up a 3rd party router, as just an extra access point. (so its not doing alot of the routing features, only wireless connecting).  You would have to run an ethernet line to another point in the house, and put the router there.

georgn
I've Been Here Awhile

I too have been forced to "upgrade" to one of these modems.  Now we have to power cycle it everyday.  The previous modem was rock solid and as far as I can tell just as fast (IOW, the upgrade offered a hypothetical speed benefit that has not materialized).

I have called to complain.  First time, they sent a cable tech.  They did replace a connector.  No change (but it did make the people looking at SnR happy).  Next time, I was told that the signal levels reported by the modem are fine, blah blah.  Can I connect directly?  I politely told him that a) depriving the household of internet for a day or more and b) connecting my machine directly to the internet simply to wait for a hang were not viable diagnostic options.

So I was given two options.  Take the modem in for an exchange.  Or wait for the next hang and call back while it is hung.

And now I wait for the next hang upon which I'll call and say, now what?

Sigh... I'll keep you posted.

PS I'll echo a sentiment that I've seen while googling around about this headache.  Hey Rogers, I just want a cable modem!  I do not want a router, wifi gear, or anything else from you.  Got that covered, thanks.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

If you have a 3rd party router handy.. i would try bridged mode, if you havent already.

Also, which package are you on?
You may not NEED that modem specificaly... and one of the others, may do fine.

georgn
I've Been Here Awhile

In bridge mode from day one.  Have a couple of airports in the house handling the routing duties for the wifi clients (I myself am connected to one of them via ethernet).

I'm supposed to be on the top-tier, Ultimate Unlimited or whatever they call it these days (just below fibre, since I don't live one of the blessed postal codes) but I'm only ever see 100Mbps down and around 2 up (which is what I was seeing before I called to upgrade to unlimited to get rid of the data cap).

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah.. your sort of stuck in the catch 22 it seems.

For ultimate, they say you NEED to have that gateway.

BUT, quite a few people have noticed.. that when bridged on that unit.. they are not getting the full speed.
If you un bridged it, and connected a wired PC, you likely would get closer to the full speeds 😞

Hogwash
I'm a Senior Contributor

@georgn wrote:

I'm supposed to be on the top-tier, Ultimate Unlimited or whatever they call it these days (just below fibre, since I don't live one of the blessed postal codes) but I'm only ever see 100Mbps down and around 2 up (which is what I was seeing before I called to upgrade to unlimited to get rid of the data cap).

Been through this plenty of times in another forum. If you're only getting 2 up that is a CLEAR sign you're still on the old Ultimate 75/2. The 100 down you're seeing is SpeedBoost.

No doubt about it in anyone's mind. Rogers is sending the wrong/old Ultimate config file to your modem

Yea I know, this post is total "Hogwash"

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Hogwash is likely right, I missed the upload part there.
Call in and make sure that you are set on the new ultimate

The reduced speed has been noted when bridged on that unit by a few, but up wa not effected, so likely not this issue necessarily here.

georgn
I've Been Here Awhile

Good to know about the speed.  Thanks, I'll call and try to get that sorted.

An update.  So my modem hung again, and I called in. The tech re-configured the modem to not be in bridge mode...  requiring me to make some adjustments in how my network is set up.  😕  Whatever.  Better to get them on-side.

To my surprise, the modem stayed working for 3.5 days before I rebooted it today after a config change I made...

So perhaps it's just bridge mode that's busted?

LYuan
I Plan to Stick Around

Bridge modem is definitely busted for me - Gateway mode is stable, but bridge mode is good for 5 - 6 hours for me at best. It's weird because if I'm connected to something i.e. a live video stream, the stream will not stop. However, I cannot create any new connections. When this happens, I am unable to ping the gateway IP address from any device inside the network, but rogers is still able to connect to my modem.

sbenninger
I Plan to Stick Around

Sounds like your router is running of usable states or allowed open connections through it. Usually happens on low memory/inexpensive routers. 

Edit: I see you are using a business class firewall from a posting in another thread. Ignore my response....but it does sound like an out of memory or states issue. Perhaps in bridge mode the gateway has some sort of memory leak or something.

LYuan
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm leaning on that as well - A few things have me believing that it's the gateway running out of "something".

1) CGN2s worked fine - (I upgraded to CGN3 for the 20mbps upload rate)

2) Rebooting the router (or any other device on my network) does not resolve the issue; rebooting the gateway device resolves the issue immediately.

What I'd really like to know is how many people running CGN3s on the rogers network actually run it in bridge mode, and out of those, how many have this problem. Obviously these forums aren't a good sample space as the people with problems will tend to stick out, while the people without the problems don't tend on posting.

I need to figure out if it's worth my time exchanging for another CGN3, or until I get a good one; or should I revert back to the CGN2/Cisco gateways until an alternative devce for the 250/25mbps or a fix is available.

L.

anumehrotra
I've Been Here Awhile

I recently upgraded to CGN3 from Motorola 5120 (DocSis 2.0) modem - what a mistake.

Motorola was rock solid for the last 7 years, did not require even a reboot in all these years.

Switched to CGN3 to get higher speed, a disaster

I run CGN3 in brdged mode. Do not get anywhere near the advertised speed of 25Mbps down (get only about 5Mbps), though upload is fine at 2Mpbs.

I also noticed packet loss after uptime (CGN3) of 30 minutes or more, which is frustrating.

CGN3 is not ready for prime time in the techy households. How I wish latest Motorola Doscis 3.0 moden like 6141 were supported by Rogers. Interestingly resellers of Rogers service (like TekSavvy, Acanac) all support motorola modems.

Kiwi7
I Plan to Stick Around

Plus 10!

Rogers does not have a clue what they are doing. The wifi modems are garbage and they know it. Admitting that they know it is another matter. The word out there is they tenedered the modems and took the cheapest bid they could find, which is now the Hitron. Does it matter that they work - NO? They are saving money and inflicting these POS modems on unsuspecting consumers and hope that they do not know enough to complain. Funny that the older D2 modems still work better than any of their D3 wifi modems! Smiley Mad

Topic Stats