Rogers gouged me for a pile of cash.

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Fedrock
I've Been Here Awhile

Rogers gouged me for a pile of cash.

Long story short, the numbers in "MY10" were either erased or never saved property.  Rogers proceeded to charge me for calls to the numbers (~$60/month), and when I inquired about the charges I basically got a "sorry about your luck".

Has anyone else had this issue?

Micolas
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: Rogers gouged me for a pile of cash.

Hello Fedrock,

Have you Changed your telephone number recently? Any time a number is changed, it clears all of the personal settings stored in the billing system, My10, voicemails, etc. A transfer of responsibility can also do the same. I'd contact back since it should show the "Buddy list change history" if the number were removed manually as well as the dates that they were removed. This way they can tell you want changes occured during that time and you can get some more detailed information. If you're at work, or busy during the day, a good way to reach out would be through their twitter (@Rogershelp) or Facebook (facebook.com/rogers).

Hopefully they can take a look at it and see what can be done. 🙂

Fedrock
I've Been Here Awhile

I've had the same number since I started using Rogers 14 years ago, and never transferred responsibility.  I have not changed any of the "MY10" settings since I first set them up.

I already contacted Rogers via their "customer service" chat, and that got me nowhere.  I'm just going to give a new carrier a try, and cancel my Rogers service.  They may not be better, but I doubt it can get any worse.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Just a heads up.. that none of the providers really provide a service like my5/my10 anymore.

Most of them, are all canada wide calling, etc now, so removes the need for them... BUT they are usually MORE expensive.

Switching carriers, will force you into one of these newer plans on that carrier.. you MIGHT end up paying more / month vs continuing to grandfather your existing plan.

JohhnyRockets
I'm a Trusted Contributor

While you are correct in that services like My5/10 do not exist any more, the fact is they are grandfathered for those that have them. If Rogers is not going to honour the numbers that the OP had registered, then leaving Rogers will provide the OP with a great deal of personal satisfaction. There are carriers out there who offer unlimited data, unlimited Canada/US-wide talk, unlimited Canada/US-wide text, and unlimited US roaming for a much better price than anything you would get from Rogers. When my plan is up later this year, I will be doing the same!
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Correct, as i had said as well, if you do already have it, it will be grandfathered.  You just cant add it now.

I completely understand IF and WHY they would want to leave over it, just wanted to make a warning, on how the new plans are different.
And yes, while SOME carriers may have some lower price points over some others, there are other things that have to be taken into consideration with them as well.  Many of them, have a smaller service area than the biger ones. (EG: Wind is NOT covered where i live).  IF you live, commute, etc within those areas, you will be fine.  But if you live outside of those areas, you will incure roaming fees (pretty much negating any savings you are making)

Really, in the end, each person needs to check all the avilable options to them, where they are.  Look into ALL the details, before signing up.

JohhnyRockets

Actually, you never did say that My5/10 was grandfathered. The bottom line though is that is you can get a better deal with another carrier, why not go for it? Rogers is not the be all and end all of carriers and many others offer much better deals. This is one area in telecommunications where there is actually is some competition!
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

When i said at the end of the post, about grandfathering the plan... all addons like my5, etc, would be grandfathered with it.  Perhaps i should have been clearer.

Correct, Rogers is not the be all end all of carriers. 
BUT, not every carrier, just because they are cheaper, are for everyone.
Again my example.  I am in a rogers, bell, etc covered area.  I am OUTSIDE of the WIND and of the more 'metro' based carriers.
Like rogers 'horror stories' you can find them for other carriers as well.  Read a blog of a user who had switched to Wind, who was JUST on the edge of the their calling area.  They were on a $50 plan (vs 80 for their old bell one for the same), great savings!  Other than a bill later.. they ended up with $43 in roaming charges.

I am not saying for the person not to switch.
They need to do what is RIGHT for them.
Just giving the warning, dont just jump on price right away.  Look into ALL factors, coverage where you are (in/out coverage area period), is there coverage from that company PERIOD there (EG:  there is a bell deadzone in my town due to tower locations).
Look into all factors for a plan (Some carriers 'unlimited' data, is only say 4gb at full speed, then throttled down to like 256k after that).

I agree, look around, and find the best one for you.  Just do ALL the reasearch first.
Somtimes, like myself, due to where i live... Rogers or a similar larger carrier.. IS the best choice.

JohhnyRockets

My apologies! You did mention grandfathering of My5/10 in your original post.
jimboden
I'm an Advisor

I also have a grandfathered MY10 plan and all my numbers are still there. However, since I got MY10 long ago, I have Rogers One Number which, I believe, makes MY10 irrelevant. RON has Canada-wide free long distance.