Rogers e-mail servers intermittently rejecting username/password

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Rogers e-mail servers intermittently rejecting username/password

are you guys using smtp experiencing this problem? those of you who are using imap are you also experiencing this too? those who are still using smtp have you ever thought to change your settings to imap?

I've Been Around

I got the "It's your problem" too. Arelatively new install of Windows 7 & and Office 2003 on a 6-yr old box had worked fine. No idea what changed. But SMTP and POP error started to occur to the point where I went weeks without being able to collect my e-mail. <sigh>

Then, on a brand new box and a brand new install of Office 2010 the same happened.

That is until this morning. I logged on to Yahoo mail using my browser. I hadn't thought about it but Outlook was runnings. A few minutes later, days and days of e-mails started to pour in. Whopee! Things worked as "advertized" all day! Well, they don't advertize that webmail has to be running for Outlook to work but you get what I mean.

The iPad and iPhone have never had a problem.

I Plan to Stick Around

@Pauly: IMAP is used for incoming mail and SMTP is used for outgoing, so it's not like you can "exchange" IMAP for SMTP.

Perhaps you're thinking of POP and IMAP?

In the past, I found I had to log into the web version of Yahoo mail before IMAP password for my mail client was accepted. It used to happen about every 2 to 3 months, now it is sometimes every couple of hours (see below). I agree that recently it has been a lot worse, to the point of almost being unusable.

I just had the message: The Yahoo! IMAP server “imap.mail.yahoo.com” rejected the password for user “username@rogers.com” 

at around 2:30PM, by by performed the log into webmail and was able to log in again with OS X mail.  I logged out (of Yahoo web mail) and OS X mail was able to authenticate me and it worked for about an hour. I was rejected again at 3:30PM. Only way of getting back in was to log into yahoo web mail again.

And again at 3:55PM (tried all the tricks, putting @rogers.com at the end of my account name and so on)

I Plan to Stick Around

Maybe it's Yahoo!'s way of getting you to visit their site. Thay way they count you as a hit on all the ads they show you and increase their ad revenue.

I'm Here A Lot

I too am having the same problem.  I can not get it resolved by simply logging into webmail.  I was also told that I am the only one to report this issue, and they can not support pop mail.  If you can login to the webmail and it works you are on your own. 

Now this used to happen to me every few months, but I in the last 3 weeks have added this account to my blackberry and now it happens several times a day, and at this point I haven't been able to received for a full day now.

All the while it works just fine on the blackberry.  I have even changed my yahoo password and still the same.  Any ideas?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

This still overall confuses me...

It HAS to be an account setting or something somehow... weither new vs old.. or something.

I am a webmail user primarily.. i log into webmail from most PC's..

SOOO.. you would think i would be a prime candiate for it WANTING to promt continual for the login from there for me.

Normaly i collect all my mail on my phone, via POP/SMTP.. and never have a problem connecting, rarely a 'wrong password' then i retry and it works right away.

I only actualy go into the webmail.. 1x a week?  So that would in many of your other cases, cause a prompt on my pop collection of wanting it... but it doesnt.. there have been times its been a month that i havent been on the webmail, and still continualy fine collect via PoP on the phone..

I Plan to Stick Around

I resolved my issue by using something other than MS Outlook on my laptop to access my mail.

I was already using Outlook on my desktop when I got my laptop. When I tried to use Outlook on my laptop too, this invalid login error from rogers.yahoo.com's mail servers started popping up. So I switched my laptop to Mozilla Thunderbird, and the problem stopped.

(FYI, I also have a Gmail account, which I can access with my desktop, laptop, Android tablet and two iPhones - all without a problem. I'm pretty much done with Rogers Yahoo e-mail's stupid errors, refusal to fix their mistakes and lack of support.)

I've Been Here Awhile

Try turning the Fetch  Button on your Iphone or Ipad to "Off"   then your problems will be over!!!!!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

you can also use imap over smtp. rogers servers support the newer and more efficient imap protocols, also mozilla thunderbird works with the imap too, thats why it does not give u that problem

I've Been Around

What happened to this forum? This problem has not gone away it has gotten worse. I too am having the same problem.  I can not get it resolved by simply logging into webmail.  I was also told that I am the only one to report this issue, and they can not support pop mail. 

I have 3 computers one using Win XP with outlook Express, a laptop with Win 7 using Thunderbird and one using Win 7 Pro 64Bit using MS Outlook 2007. I haven't been able to receive using Outlook Express for a full day now. I have had Rogers support fix MS Outlook 4 times in the last 3 days and they still claim it is mine, Microsoft or anyone else but their fault.

I am also ready to switch ISP as I want to keep my old ways of e-mailing.

Tom In Navan