Rogers e-mail servers intermittently rejecting username/password

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Rogers e-mail servers intermittently rejecting username/password

define dropped? I get email from my Rogers account for a week on my Microsoft live.com page and then suddenly I don't. It drops off the planet. I get my emails on my phone but I have to log onto Rogers via Google to get my daily emails. I'm in business!! And then randomly.....five, six, seven or ten days later I start getting my Rogers emails on my live.com page. Rogers tells me it's not their problem. Considering the number of posts on this page I would sugges that Rogers makes it their problem. define dropped?

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Contributor

I've been getting this sort of problem intermittently for weeks now and called Rogers who swear blind there are no issues, but then they usually do deny that anything is wrong.

Either mail refuses to send altogether for a few minutes then eventually goes or suddenly all of my email passwords are wrong.    I redo them using exactly the same parameters and they miraculously work.

I can only assume that Rogers servers are on the blink and either they don't know which ones, or someone is in deep denial.

Coincidentally I've been having intermittent cable TV issues, so it may be a cable issue.

It's almost as if someone is pulling a plug at random just for the thrill of it.

Sorry I realise this thread is old but a Google search led me here.

Peter
Toronto, Downtown

Peter
Toronto
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

A related question...   upon receiving the email from Rogers telling me I must update my Rogers Yahoo Email account, I notice that Windows Live Mail 2009 is on the list of programs with instructions on how to make the changes, but Windows Live Mail 2011 is not.  Does this mean that 2011 is already compatible and need not be changed?

By the looks of the problems folks have been experiencing after the changes they've made, I'd rather leave well enough alone, if I could.

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Cant seem to find the thread at the moment.. but there is another thread here, about the SSL security changes.  it is a different issue, than the one in this thread.

As for your question.

Unfortunately, the site isnt really well at DESCRIBING things.
To receive email, on a 3rd party program (weither PC, phone, etc) via POP/SMTP, these changes MUST be made, for the email to work, after the cuttoff.

Now.. the ones listed on the site.. they are only the 'supported' programs, meaning.. that that is the only ones, that the techs have instructions for, on how to set up.  Any others.. are not supported per say, as in that they can not really offer any tech support on the setup. 
BUT it IS manditory for the changes to be made.

Take a look at the settings under the 2009 listing.
while visually might looks SLIGHTLY different, it SHOULD be reltively the same, i THINK (been a while since i used that mail program).
Bigest things:
Go into your account settings section, wherever it may be.
Change the incomming to require SSL, and the new port number.
Change the outgoing, to the new port number... and also mark here, that SSL is required (this one alot of people miss)

Highlighted

I've looked into my intermittent issue further and yes it's not quite the same as the header of this thread.   Mine is simply a case of the servers noit being reachable momentarily and then suddenly they are.

I have made all the necessary changes to settings SSL, Port #'s etc.

Peter
Toronto, Downtown

Peter
Toronto
Highlighted

hamgran,
WLM would be the same as Windows Mail or Outlook, Outlook Express, etc. It's settings are basically the same.

Peter
Toronto, Downtown

Peter
Toronto
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@peter

Yours is likely, more related to the OP, or at least more similar.

I know in the past, i have tried pinging/tracerouting to the rogers yahoo email servers, and have seen drops (which is bad, considering thats the main connection to the email :P), something like this could be what is happening with your issue.

I havent seen it at all much myself.. but have primarily moved over to IMAP on my devices.. which does directly to the yahoo imap servers.. which MAY take a different route.. and not effected.

Highlighted

@Gdkitty wrote:

@Peter

Yours is likely, more related to the OP, or at least more similar.

I know in the past, i have tried pinging/tracerouting to the rogers yahoo email servers, and have seen drops (which is bad, considering thats the main connection to the email :P), something like this could be what is happening with your issue.

I havent seen it at all much myself.. but have primarily moved over to IMAP on my devices.. which does directly to the yahoo imap servers.. which MAY take a different route.. and not effected.

Yes.   My setup is somewhat unconventional in that my incoming Rogers mail is popped into my spam filterer, Spamcop, from there I then donwload it to my machine using SMTP so incoming is not SSL.  The outgoing mail goes directly to Rogers servers so has now to be SSL.   But it's outgoping mail that is having the problems, so it has to be Rogers servers that occasionally make themselves scarce.   Of course they'd never admit that.

Peter
Toronto, Downtown

Peter
Toronto
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Many thanks for the help, folks...  much appreciated.  I think I've got things fixed up.  Cheers!

I Plan to Stick Around

I had this problem last year, tech had me switch from pop.mail.yahoo.ca to pop.broadband.rogers.com, solved the problem until December. (go figure, back on the yahoo.ca pop address).

I know how difficult it is to trace, as its so intermittant. The mail server goes down for about 1-2 hours. Thunderbird reports maildrop busy, Samsung Galaxy phone mail app reports wrong password. As fast as it starts, the problem disappears and works fine. Its been about 2 weeks since the last time it happened for me. but it was down for at least 2 hours.