Rogers e-mail servers intermittently rejecting username/password

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Rogers e-mail servers intermittently rejecting username/password

Are you specificaly getting the username/password rejection?  Or a different error.

There was a group of users recently getting a different error, which i was able to help them resolve (a malformed email, which wouldnt download, and would lock up 2/3 email programs).

Are you able to post the exact error you are getting? (if its not the username/password error).

Do you have any of those devices email programs open at the same time?  In the past, i have found that i am unable to download on my PC and get a rejection, when i leave the mail app open (on screen) on my phone.. as if its keeping a connection alive, and not allowing a 2nd one from another location.

Other than that though, otherwise, i have not had any issues with my email... i collect via the POP address's on 3 devices, perfectly fine and am not getting an error.. so i dont think what you are experiencing, is global.

I've Been Here Awhile

I too have had this problem.  It seemed to have escalated in frequency of "dropping" email connection and then persistanly asking for password and then rejecting my password.

I have a MacBook Pro with OSX (mountain lion) and was using macMail (6.3).  I put in a call to Rogers.  The problem stumped their tech support and the problem has been elevated to "engineering"; supposedly it's a 'network issue'.  

One thing I noticed was that when I used the webmail portal to access my account, there is an option under the mail options there's a tab for "POP and Forwarding".  When you click here there is not option to override the POP with IMAP.  The only two options are to confirm POP or forward email to another email account.  I'm wondering if this overrides any effort to setup email accounts as an IMAP account.

I'm crossing my fingers its fixed soon.  Otherwise i'll be moving to another email host by the end of next week.

I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Rogers e-mail servers intermittently rejecting username/password & timing out

OMG...no real solution but a "work-around" has been found to this very annoying problem.

After contacting Apple I was able to get an easy 'work-around' as they are aware of this problem associated with Yahoo (and Rogers) email accounts.  

Simply go into your email (@rogers.com) via webmail; find your way to the full listing of all the Yahoo products; click on 'Account Information".  You'll be asked to sign in again.  Do this - sign in again.

go back to your iMail/Preferences/Accounts/  and verify 1) incoming mail server (imap.mail.yahoo.com) port 993 use SSL and 2) outgoing mail server (smtp.mail.yahoo.com) default port and use SSL

go back and sign out from webmail account.  This should work.  you may have to this when you iMail starts 'acting up'.  

Apparenly, Yahoo is doing up up-grades to their systems and their efforts seem to affect some accounts on a random basis.

I'm crossing my fingers!  Good luck!

I'm Here A Lot

Re: Rogers e-mail servers intermittently rejecting username/password & timing out

I've had this problem for several months using Outlook 2011 on iMac.  Sometimes it asks for a password, and then works, but sometimes not.  I've always used the old smtp.broadband.rogers.com  address in Outlook.  Didn't know the imap address settings.   I just changed my settings and the test worked OK.

Thanks for the tip.  I use the imap settings on my iPhone, iPad and Mac Mail, because those devices/software set up the imap automatially.

Thanks for the tip.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Using the IMAP settings (imap.mail.yahoo.com) I am still getting drops on the connections randomly.   Preferring POP operation, I've put back in the pop.broadband.rogers.com servers. 

A pal of mine who uses Yahoo mail in the US tells me Yahoo is doing server and software upgrades.  He has had trouble signing into his accounts on certain Yahoo pages.  He's been on the telephone with Yahoo staff to learn about this and why these glitches are occuring. 

I'm Here A Lot

I have the same exact problem .  I have set up the IMAP server addresses for yahoo.  Same thing.

I'm Here A Lot

I use Outlook 2011 on my iMac, but also Apple Mail.  No difference. Same problem and it only started happening a few months ago. No  way it is my system.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Only other thing I could think, specialy since its a yahoo hosted email server... Is that recently a few other and myself have found some routing issues to yahoo servers. 5
This could cause some intermittent issues when going to the mail server.

I've Been Here Awhile

I had EXACTLY the same experience over the phone. Attitude but no solution. My Rogers email account keeps getting dropped and then a week later suddenly re-appears. This has been going on for a few months now.
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Define DROPED?

Can not get into it at all? or just unable to access it via a 3rd party program?