Rogers cuts of data to a travelling family

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers cuts of data to a travelling family

I was absolutely shocked when Rogers decided I was using too much data while travelling to the east coast with my family and just cut off all data to my 3 iPhones.

A really supper message said it was for my protection and simply click here to restart your data package. 

I could not click the link BECAUSE I HAD NO DATA PACKAGE!

I had no intentions of calling and waiting on hold for 56 hours.

My account was and is in good standing. I have often received(and paid for) data usage as we do go over occasionally.

I have never complained about data usage, and always paid my bill on time and in full.

I have no problem paying the $50 either.

What I do have a problem with is Rogers ability to determine Im using too much data and cutting me off without warning and without being able to restore the service.

I consider this a violation of our service agreement and wanted to return the phones and go with a real carrier.

You can guess how that phone call went(after being on hold and passed around for OVER 56 MINUTES).

I am not going to pursue this issue with Rogers, instead I  have opened a complaint with the CRTC for violations.

This is simply a post to let everyone know how Rogers works. I plan on posting this complaint EVERYWHERE.

***Edited Labels.***

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Rogers cuts of data to a travelling family

Um...

I hate to say it.. BUT... your CRTC complaint will get thrown out.. and for one reason.

The CRTC, is the one that has instated, that EVERY canadian carrier, has to do what happened to you.

http://www.crtc.gc.ca/eng/info_sht/t14.htm

If you look at part E, #2 #3

This is to prevent 'bill shock' that has been very prelevent in the last years.. people going somewhere, thinking they are are wifi, or just not aware of the roaming charges.. and wracking up THOUSANDs of dollar bills.

Unfortunately, ALL canadian Carriers will do this, so switching will not prevent it.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Cutting off my service without notice is a clear violation of the terms of the contract.

Why are you even answering my post?

My post is to let EVERYONE know that ROGERS WILL CUT YOU OFF ANY TIME THEY WANT TO.

I'll let the CRTC answer my complaint.

Highlighted
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello memememememe1

Watch how you speak to users on here please.. Have some respect and do not call them names. Gdkitty is telling you the truth as anyone would.. The CRTC implemented the rule so going to the CRTC and complaining will do nothing unfortunately. They won't even do anything as they are the ones that told carriers to do this.  A little research would help in this situation  

Also this is a user to user forum in which anyone is allowed to post in any thread to help out or comment. Again some respect from u would be nice. I get you are upset but taking it out on users that are trying to post and comment, aren't really nice. 

Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I dont appreciate being talked to that way.

I am not a rogers idiot.. i am a user just like you.

This is a USER to USER forum.. for users to get help and help other users.

not a complaint forum, not a direct line to rogers.

I was posting the CORRECT information, as to HOW/WHY your data was cut off.
Rogers (nor if any other carrier did it) was in any violation of anything, as its under CRTC mandate that they do.
If the carrier did NOT do it, they could be finned by the CRTC.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I exspressely consentted to extra charges before I left on vacation.

2. Cap on data roaming charges

1. A service provider must suspend national and international data roaming charges once they reach $100 within a single monthly billing cycle, unless the customer expressly consents to pay additional charges.
  2. A service provider must provide this cap at no charge.
Highlighted
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That is the cap on ROAMING charges in general.  (voice included)

part # 3

A service provider must suspend data overage charges once they reach $50 within a single monthly billing cycle, unless the customer expressly consents to pay additional charges.

Unfortunately, this consent must be done at the TIME that the usage stop happens, the concent given, and it last till the next billing cycle.

-------------

Regardless of weither you beleive me or not... arguing it here, solves nothing.

Rogers is the only one you can directly take the complain to, via phone, etc.
You can try with the CRTC if you wish.  Your choice.

Highlighted
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Hello memememememe1

There is a way to permanently opt out of the Data overage notification. Simply contact Rogers directly, or if you are not the account hold, have them contact Rogers (can only be done by the account holder, added or removed). They can apply a feature manually that prevents the notification.

I also notice that you tagged "2.A service provider must provide this cap at no charge." in your last comment. The overage Cap is free, it simply notifies you that you have gone over your data by 50$. On share plans, this would be 50$ per line on the same share plan. Assuming that all 3 of your Iphones are on the same data share plan, this would mean that you would have probably accumulated about 150$ worth of data overage.

As per your comment about waiting on the phone for an extended period of time, there are many other methods in which you can contact Rogers, such as through:
Twitter (@RogersHelps) or;
Facebook (www.facebook.com/rogers).

Hope this helps 🙂

Edit (additional afterthoughts):

The others are correct, it's currently a mandate that all services providers provide the overage block and notification as per the CRTC so I doubt they will investigate a company for implenting their own rule, although it's really been a positive change for the majority of the Rogers Community. Customers can go overseas without fear of those Roaming data charges coming to a couple hundred dollars worth of data overage alone.