cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers buy-back PVR/HD box?!?

BFlow
I Plan to Stick Around

We discontinued our TV service yesterday and so dropped off the rental PVR we had to the local store. The gentleman noticed that we also owned another PVR and HD box (DCX3510 and 700 respectively). He said SOMETHING about "We'll buy those back from you...if you get TV service again" but now that I think about it that doesn't make sense. He also said Atlantic Canada is moving to a "new system" in 3 days and the DCX boxes wont be handed out anymore....or something.

I'm totally confused. I was so focused on doing the equipment return I didn't pay close enough attention.

Can anyone shed light on what he was trying to tell me?

**Labels Added**

32 REPLIES 32

Re: Rogers buy-back PVR/HD box?!?

warped77
I Plan to Stick Around

So I'm moving to ignite tv, grudgingly, so what do I do with my 3 Nextboxes? Apparently I own them. I heard that you could get a rebate if you brought them to a Rogers store. Is there any truth to that?

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Rogers did have a promotion where you could get a one-time bill credit for each eligible customer-owned NextBox STB and PVR that you trade in when you switch to Ignite TV... but that was two years ago and it was subject to expire at any time.

https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Account-Support/Rogers-buy-back-PVR-HD-box/m-p/447248/highligh...

If this offer is still active, please let the Community know!

warped77
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm going to find out. When I do I'll post it.

not anymore

warped77
I Plan to Stick Around

Yup, I'm now the proud owner of 3 useless boxes. Thanks Rogers. What am I supposed to do with them besides throw them in the garbage.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Warped77,

You can be a good Samaritan and do what our family friend did when he moved. He called to remove the serial numbers of his boxes from his account and gave them to someone in need. The person in need happened to be my dad. My dad was really happy he got to replace his defective boxes and the family friend was happy to save the planet by not throw hazardous electronics in the trash.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Pauly wrote:
Warped77,

You can be a good Samaritan and do what our family friend did when he moved. He called to remove the serial numbers of his boxes from his account and gave them to someone in need. The person in need happened to be my dad. My dad was really happy he got to replace his defective boxes and the family friend was happy to save the planet by not throw hazardous electronics in the trash.

If the boxes are owned they can be given or sold to another Rogers customer.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

warped77
I Plan to Stick Around

In that case, if anyone I know can use them, I'll certainly give them to them. Better than throwing them out.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Another option is to sell them for a few $ on Kijiji, however time is running out on that option with the migration to IgniteTV.  Lots for sale and not many people needing them.

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Obviously he can sell them for money. His initial suggestion was to toss them in the trash which likely means he does not need the money. So Instead of trash donate the to a friend in need which is the best option. But if someone really wants to sell their boxes go for it I'm not stopping you. But remember the demand for them has decreased a lot so it might be harder to find a buyer. Giving them away is likely the best route and lots of people are on fixed income or retired who can't afford to buy new boxes of theirs broke.

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Pauly wrote:
Obviously he can sell them for money. His initial suggestion was to toss them in the trash which likely means he does not need the money. So Instead of trash donate the to a friend in need which is the best option. But if someone really wants to sell their boxes go for it I'm not stopping you. But remember the demand for them has decreased a lot so it might be harder to find a buyer.

I left Rogers Cable over a year ago, but procrastinated selling my PVRs until about a month ago. I've had 18 views on Kijiji, one question, but that's all.  😞

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

senordd
I Plan to Stick Around

Is Rogers still giving a credit on these? I'm on the phone with a rep and he doesn't seem to know anything about this. He says he's going to generate a mailing label and email it to me, but I'm not confident that I'll get a credit.

Edit: Was on hold for a while while they looked into it.  Looks like the buy back program ended in June.

We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?
Topic Stats