Rogers approved modem

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
gth
I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers approved modem

Does anyone know where I can find a list of Rogers approved modems?

Or know if either   Motorola SB6121 or Thomson DCM476 can be used?

Thanks

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

Re: Rogers approved modem

Rogers has three main D3 gateways: the SMCD3GN, the Cisco DCP3825, and the Hitron GGN2-ROG. You MUST use a Rogers authorized modem. While some have managed to have others approved, it is not without going through a lot of hoops. Generally it is not worth the hassle. Many of us would like to see a good stand alone D3 modem authorized by Rogers bu for some unknown reason, they do care what customers actually want!

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Unfortunately IHR is correct. The only stand alone modems Rogers tents to have on their network tends to be the older d2 modems.
Even now people seem to have issues who have their own of the same d2 models registered.
I think I have seen one case on here of someone getting a d3 modem on but I think tool them a month to get it registered.

Now the d3 gateways, the wireless is abysmal on them , but as a modem, they are not that bad (changed to bridged mode). Unfortunately we pay more for the rental/purchase for features on them we don't use :(. But at least with them we do get the increased speed/bandwidth.

gth
I Plan to Stick Around

thanks for the info

EasyAs123
I've Been Here Awhile

D2

Scientific Atlanta DPC 2100   - modem only

Scientific Atlanta DPX 2100 - modem only

Motorola Surfboard 5100 - modem only

SMC 8014G - wi-fi built in

CISCO DPC2325 - wi-fi built in

D3

SMC D3GN - wi-fi built in

CISCO DPC3825 - wi-fi built in

Hitron - wi-fi built in

All built in modem router combos does have the option to put into bridge mdoe to connect your own router to it. 🙂

gth
I Plan to Stick Around

Will putting it in bridge mode decrease download speed?

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Far from it. Putting it in bridged mode effectively turns it into a modem only. Should increase speeds (compared to the problems with speed some encounter on the gateways wifi)

testuser1010101
I Plan to Stick Around

I would love to be able to use the Motorola SB 6121 standalone D3 modem with Rogers... but they continue to refuse. Why? There is no reason. They claim 'network incompatibility issues' etc. however - TekSavvy, who uses the Rogers cable network for their internet services, supports the SB6121... for use on the same cable network. So how does that make sense?

There is no reason to not allow the use of a standalone D3 modem. Even if they don't provide one, they should at the very least allow the use of your own.

Keep calling tech support and attempting to get them to activate it. You may eventually get lucky - my neighbour was fortunate enough to get a tech support agent who he was able to convince to activate his. How he did so and how the rep did so we may never know, but I will never stop trying.

gth
I Plan to Stick Around

I was told that Rogers has cancelled there contract with Motorola, and that's why they wont activate them.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I think that's part of it.
If its a modem they approve, etc, they have to support it in terms of tech support, when troubleshooting your service.

I beleive the modems should be an option, but even with a waiver. IE if you choose to use one that will work but is not supported by Rogers, if your net is not working, they can only guarantee service upto the modem and can't guarantee it after, sort of thing.