cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers approved modem

gth
I Plan to Stick Around

Does anyone know where I can find a list of Rogers approved modems?

Or know if either   Motorola SB6121 or Thomson DCM476 can be used?

Thanks

16 REPLIES 16

Re: Rogers approved modem

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

Rogers has three main D3 gateways: the SMCD3GN, the Cisco DCP3825, and the Hitron GGN2-ROG. You MUST use a Rogers authorized modem. While some have managed to have others approved, it is not without going through a lot of hoops. Generally it is not worth the hassle. Many of us would like to see a good stand alone D3 modem authorized by Rogers bu for some unknown reason, they do care what customers actually want!

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Unfortunately IHR is correct. The only stand alone modems Rogers tents to have on their network tends to be the older d2 modems.
Even now people seem to have issues who have their own of the same d2 models registered.
I think I have seen one case on here of someone getting a d3 modem on but I think tool them a month to get it registered.

Now the d3 gateways, the wireless is abysmal on them , but as a modem, they are not that bad (changed to bridged mode). Unfortunately we pay more for the rental/purchase for features on them we don't use :(. But at least with them we do get the increased speed/bandwidth.

gth
I Plan to Stick Around

thanks for the info

EasyAs123
I've Been Here Awhile

D2

Scientific Atlanta DPC 2100   - modem only

Scientific Atlanta DPX 2100 - modem only

Motorola Surfboard 5100 - modem only

SMC 8014G - wi-fi built in

CISCO DPC2325 - wi-fi built in

D3

SMC D3GN - wi-fi built in

CISCO DPC3825 - wi-fi built in

Hitron - wi-fi built in

All built in modem router combos does have the option to put into bridge mdoe to connect your own router to it. 🙂

gth
I Plan to Stick Around

Will putting it in bridge mode decrease download speed?

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Far from it. Putting it in bridged mode effectively turns it into a modem only. Should increase speeds (compared to the problems with speed some encounter on the gateways wifi)

testuser1010101
I Plan to Stick Around

I would love to be able to use the Motorola SB 6121 standalone D3 modem with Rogers... but they continue to refuse. Why? There is no reason. They claim 'network incompatibility issues' etc. however - TekSavvy, who uses the Rogers cable network for their internet services, supports the SB6121... for use on the same cable network. So how does that make sense?

There is no reason to not allow the use of a standalone D3 modem. Even if they don't provide one, they should at the very least allow the use of your own.

Keep calling tech support and attempting to get them to activate it. You may eventually get lucky - my neighbour was fortunate enough to get a tech support agent who he was able to convince to activate his. How he did so and how the rep did so we may never know, but I will never stop trying.

gth
I Plan to Stick Around

I was told that Rogers has cancelled there contract with Motorola, and that's why they wont activate them.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
I think that's part of it.
If its a modem they approve, etc, they have to support it in terms of tech support, when troubleshooting your service.

I beleive the modems should be an option, but even with a waiver. IE if you choose to use one that will work but is not supported by Rogers, if your net is not working, they can only guarantee service upto the modem and can't guarantee it after, sort of thing.

aksdfhkjhakjsdh
I've Been Around

I just bought a Thompson DCM476 today and it only took one phone call to get it connected to my account. I am taking back the Cisco unit tomorrow and will no longer have to pay the ridiculous rental fee.

So it is possible.

Maybe they have changed things.
Or you were lucky to get someone who did know how to add it.

But if you didnt know.
You didnt HAVE to rent any of the modems.. you always could BUY them and then not pay the rental.

(there are a TON of users who have bought the CGN3 from bestbuy rather than renting it)

queencyqq
I've Been Here Awhile

Appreciate if anyone can confirm this ....Like to find out if Thomson DCM467 - DOCSIS 3.0 non-wifi cable modem is compatible with my current Rogers internet plan (INTERNET 5 - 5Mps upload and 1Mps download speed). And, is there any firmware version requirements on this modem to work with Rogers cable internet??  I want to buy my own non-Rogers cable modem instead of renting one now; actually spoke to Rogers store agent about buying from Rogers, but they don't have any for sale for my plan currently.

I am going to answer with a 90% NO.

If i am correct, they are allowed on the rogers network.. PER SAY.
Those are ones that the TPIA (3rd party) providers are allowed to register on the network.

BUT.. they are not allowed as for any of the rogers plans 😞
(there have been stories by 1-2 people who HAVE somehow managed to.. but with like WEEKS worth of work to try and get someone to do it, etc)

Other than people who have still grandfathered their D2 modems, SMC, the Cisco 3825, the CNG2, CGN3, or CGN3ACSMR, are the only ones allowed on the network now.  They are ALL gateways, but they can be turned into a modem only mode.

As for purchase FROM rogers, you likely wont find any anymore.
All their plans have changed to INCLUDE the modem in the plan price, so always rental per say.
MAIN reason for this, is that as things change, the can change the user modems with no changes price/plan to the user..
VS if they own it, they are more likely to stick to the older tech, etc.. which may not be compatable with the newer plans, etc.

Your best bet, would be to try then and get a USED older unit.. the SMC, Cisco, etc... from someone who bought one before.

queencyqq
I've Been Here Awhile
Thank you Gdkitty for the tips. Seems that Roger makes it impossible for ppl to buy their own modems.

The didnt USED TO.  It used to be fairly simple to.

The big key here.. again as i mentioned.. is to keep the network robustness... that when changes come out, that people are easily able to change to them with NO other prices, etc.

Often new plans, etc.. to get new speeds, etc.. without ISSUES, may require going to a new modem.

(while sometimes some old modems COULD get the speeds.. it comes to if they could WELL.  The old D2 modems could do up to like 30mbps.. but why force peope to D3 ones?  For the channels availability.. it removes congetsion, etc.).

People who have bought a modem, often dont then WANT to foot another bill for another modem.. so end up sticking with older ones... and then older plans.

I didnt even know there WAS a 5m plan.. unless its a grandfathered one?
Which then.. likely couldnt have a D3 on the plan profile anyways.

jays77
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@Gdkitty wrote:

I didnt even know there WAS a 5m plan.. unless its a grandfathered one?
Which then.. likely couldnt have a D3 on the plan profile anyways.

Yes they are now advertising it on their Internet Package page.  I believe it cost $25.00 plus $8.00 moderm rental. ( plus tax of course)  It allows 25GB/month but has slower speeds than the slightly more expensive grandfathered Lite.

We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?
Topic Stats
  • 16 replies
  • 8 Likes
  • 8 in conversation