Rogers approved modem

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
aksdfhkjhakjsdh
I've Been Around

Re: Rogers approved modem

I just bought a Thompson DCM476 today and it only took one phone call to get it connected to my account. I am taking back the Cisco unit tomorrow and will no longer have to pay the ridiculous rental fee.

So it is possible.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Maybe they have changed things.
Or you were lucky to get someone who did know how to add it.

But if you didnt know.
You didnt HAVE to rent any of the modems.. you always could BUY them and then not pay the rental.

(there are a TON of users who have bought the CGN3 from bestbuy rather than renting it)

queencyqq
I've Been Here Awhile

Appreciate if anyone can confirm this ....Like to find out if Thomson DCM467 - DOCSIS 3.0 non-wifi cable modem is compatible with my current Rogers internet plan (INTERNET 5 - 5Mps upload and 1Mps download speed). And, is there any firmware version requirements on this modem to work with Rogers cable internet??  I want to buy my own non-Rogers cable modem instead of renting one now; actually spoke to Rogers store agent about buying from Rogers, but they don't have any for sale for my plan currently.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I am going to answer with a 90% NO.

If i am correct, they are allowed on the rogers network.. PER SAY.
Those are ones that the TPIA (3rd party) providers are allowed to register on the network.

BUT.. they are not allowed as for any of the rogers plans 😞
(there have been stories by 1-2 people who HAVE somehow managed to.. but with like WEEKS worth of work to try and get someone to do it, etc)

Other than people who have still grandfathered their D2 modems, SMC, the Cisco 3825, the CNG2, CGN3, or CGN3ACSMR, are the only ones allowed on the network now.  They are ALL gateways, but they can be turned into a modem only mode.

As for purchase FROM rogers, you likely wont find any anymore.
All their plans have changed to INCLUDE the modem in the plan price, so always rental per say.
MAIN reason for this, is that as things change, the can change the user modems with no changes price/plan to the user..
VS if they own it, they are more likely to stick to the older tech, etc.. which may not be compatable with the newer plans, etc.

Your best bet, would be to try then and get a USED older unit.. the SMC, Cisco, etc... from someone who bought one before.

queencyqq
I've Been Here Awhile

Thank you Gdkitty for the tips. Seems that Roger makes it impossible for ppl to buy their own modems.
Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The didnt USED TO.  It used to be fairly simple to.

The big key here.. again as i mentioned.. is to keep the network robustness... that when changes come out, that people are easily able to change to them with NO other prices, etc.

Often new plans, etc.. to get new speeds, etc.. without ISSUES, may require going to a new modem.

(while sometimes some old modems COULD get the speeds.. it comes to if they could WELL.  The old D2 modems could do up to like 30mbps.. but why force peope to D3 ones?  For the channels availability.. it removes congetsion, etc.).

People who have bought a modem, often dont then WANT to foot another bill for another modem.. so end up sticking with older ones... and then older plans.

I didnt even know there WAS a 5m plan.. unless its a grandfathered one?
Which then.. likely couldnt have a D3 on the plan profile anyways.

jays77
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@Gdkitty wrote:

I didnt even know there WAS a 5m plan.. unless its a grandfathered one?
Which then.. likely couldnt have a D3 on the plan profile anyways.

Yes they are now advertising it on their Internet Package page.  I believe it cost $25.00 plus $8.00 moderm rental. ( plus tax of course)  It allows 25GB/month but has slower speeds than the slightly more expensive grandfathered Lite.