Did you mean: 

Rogers announces 4K set top box and broadcasting in 4K with HDR

Samz2
I've Been Here Awhile
307 REPLIES 307

Re: Rogers announces 4K set top box and broadcasting in 4K with HDR

RogersMaude

Good afternoon @Samz2,

Thank you so much for sharing this information with the Community! 

We’re indeed taking a giant leap forward with the world’s biggest commitment to live sports broadcasting in 4K with high dynamic range.

Don't forget to check out the Rogers 4K TV + Ignite Gigabit Internet FAQs page Smiley Wink

Stay tuned for more information coming in in the next weeks! 

RogersMaude 

timlocke
I Plan to Stick Around

Might we get IPV6 with the new internet service?    Please...   If you are going to replace set top boxes and probably use new Docsis  modens anyway...

Or even a beta program.   I use your unsupported 6RD which is 100% reliable but would far prefer even a slightly flaky native service.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hey guys!

Oh nice! This will be great but I wonder if the the ones that have a NextBox 3.0 and a NextBox HD box have to change over to the new ones.. That won't be a good deal as many have their recordings saved on the boxes.

What do they say, progress has its price?  On the bright side, maybe the new box will arrive with a user interface that actually works. Food for thought.....

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @Datalink

Hopefully but many will be upset as you promote the NextBox 3.0 and if we have to get a new box in order to use 4K, i might as well just use Netflix on my 4K tv without Rogers. I am pretty sure the NextBox 3.0 is capable of doing 4K if they enable it.

Well, actually, I'm not promoting anything.  Basically just stating a possibility.  Is the Nextbox 3 HDMI 1.4 rated, which in turn supports 4k?  Don't know.  If its not, then, yup, a new box should be coming down the pipe.  If you're a Nextbox expert, possibly you already know the answer.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @Datalink

It was meant towards Rogers. Stupid iPhone lol. In all reality Rogers should be able to do it. Oh well lost recordings it is for many then if they wanna switch

Yup, thats a decision that people might have to make, do I value 4k more than my collection of programs, or should I say the collection of programs that belong to my better half or kids.  Choices, choices....

Lurker
I'm a Senior Advisor

Thats a little interesting.  It shows as HDMI 1.4a capable, but the resolution output is not 4k, as in DCI 4K which is 4,096 by 2,160.  It does show that its Ultra High Definition capable, which is 1,920 by 1,080.  So, maybe its a matter of a software upgrade or enabling to run DCI 4K?

Lurker
I'm a Senior Advisor

For your interest, Videotron, who has been using the same Cisco equipment as Rogers, uses a Samsung STB for its 4k service.

http://www.videotron.com/residential/television/terminals-and-accessories/terminals/illico-4k-ultra-...

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

One thing i am not reading specifically..

Just curious..

The FAQ, etc shows stuff about the 4k TV and the gigabit inernet... it mentions streaming in 4k, etc..

IS the new 4k box, an IPTV based? or is it still cable based, etc?

billmcintyre
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@Datalink As someone else posted a link to the NB3 specs, it looks like the NB3 is limited to 1080p, which would explain why Rogers is coming out with a new 4K box.  No prices quoted yet by Rogers for purchase or rental.

But let me be the first to say, that the 4K selection of TV shows and movies is too limited  🙂

and the IPG interface of the 4K box is poorly designed  🙂  🙂  🙂   (hey - I'm only assuming this based on my many years past experience Rogers glaring inability to create a usable PVR interface, as with Navigatr, and the depressing trend that Rogers seems to almost be intentionally hamstringing their PVRs - by REDUCING available features and usability as they come out with new boxes - specifically, as examples, with the change from the Scientific Atlanta 8300 PVR (SARA firmware) to the NB2, Rogers ELIMINATED about 15 useful features, and with the transition to Navigatr on the NB3, Rogers AGAIN eliminated a number of IMPORTANT features we have became accustomed to using (like a simple and easy to see LIST of Scheduled Programs)

So I'm honestly asking - with the new 4K box - will Rogers STILL be leaving the interface design decisions to managers who seem to have never used a PVR at home in their real lives, and will Rogers continue to make design choices in the interface that continue to increase their revenue (like subtly steering us towards VOD where we pay for each movie), while at the same time these design choices make our 'viewing experience' MORE DIFFICULT and frustrating and less convenient?

wayner92
I'm a Reliable Contributor

I am pretty sure that you need HDMI 2.0 or greater to get 4K (which is likely actually 2160p) at frame rates higher than 24 fps.  Since the main 4K TV content that Rogers is talking about is sports, like baseball and hockey, you will definitely want the higher fps.  That will therefore absolutely require a new box.

In addition it is quite likely that the 4K content will be usiing the HEVC/H.265 codec which I am pretty sure is not supported by the NB3.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hey guys

So a Rogers tech agent came over to do some work & guess what. He has the Nexbox 3 which is 4K enabled. He even popped it out & showed me. He did say the boxes are capable & the ones they have are the same NB3 with 4K enabled on them to test. Same NB3 i use but its enabled. Did not believe him until he plugged it into my TV & showed me the settings. Either way he did say 2 boxes are supporting 4K & one of them is the NB3. NOW again this can change he did state as they were told new ones will come out but will look exactly like the NB3.

That is very interesting 🙂

So the NB3 may then be capable of it.
OR one could get the new box.  The netflix capability of it, etc.. i would guess would be only on the new boxes.

Havent seem MUCh on it.. probably wont be anything much until its OUT.. i am GUESSING it will require a different plan then too?
The 4k VIP vs the regular?

Lurker
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Gdkitty wrote:

That is very interesting 🙂

So the NB3 may then be capable of it.
OR one could get the new box.  The netflix capability of it, etc.. i would guess would be only on the new boxes.

Havent seem MUCh on it.. probably wont be anything much until its OUT.. i am GUESSING it will require a different plan then too?
The 4k VIP vs the regular?

The current NB3 is more than capable of handling web apps....the current guide software is really nothing more then HTML5.....

wayner92

Are we sure that the NB3 can support 2160p60?  Hasn't the NB3 been around for a couple of years (I can find posts about this box as far back as July 2013)?  The HDMI 2.0 spec was only finalized in Sep 2013. Previous HDMI specs only supported 2160p24 - which is fine for movies but not for sports and Rogers is really pushing the sports content in 4K. Now maybe you can change a port from HDMI 1.4 to HDMI 2.0 with a software upgrade in the box but I am surprised if you can do that. Or maybe there was a slight change in the box more recently. 

Am I right in assuming that when Rogers is talking 4K they really mean 2160p60?

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello @wayner92

As i said in my above post. The rep showed me the same NB3 box i have at home in his truck and his is 4K compatible. He said they got them for tests and such. I didn't believe him up until he plugged his in and the screen on my Samsung js8500 65inch 4K showed " 2160p". Then he quickly shut it off as i guess they get tracked from what he told me.. He did say as well that new ones will come out which look identical to the NB3 and be 4K compatible.

wayner92

So this could very well be 2160p24.

We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?
Topic Stats