Rogers and Apple disagree on whether my phone is unlocked.

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Rogers and Apple disagree on whether my phone is unlocked.

I recently upgraded my Rogers iPhone 4 to iPhone 5, and would like to give my iPhone 4 to my wife who is with Telus. I called Rogers and was willing to pay the $50 to unlock and I certainly qualified based on theri criteria - they checked.. Rogers said yes, it's locked, but when they asked Apple to unlock it, Apple said it`s unlocked! And so Rogers didn`t charge me $50.

I then did a factory reset, had my wife`s full-sized SIM card cut at a nearby mall to make it a micro SIM card, and put in into the phone, but it doesn`t get recognized. I get `no service`and when I connect to iTunes, it says `The SIM card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported`.

Anyone know what`s going on. Is it really still locked, or do I need an iPhone micro SIM card from Telus and simply cutting a `regular`SIM card won`t work...

Thanks.

****Edited Labels****
Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Re: Rogers and Apple disagree on whether my phone is unlocked.

Hello ssarmazi

Your iPhone is locked to Rogers. Rogers needs to have Aplle put the IMEI of your iPhone on the white list in order to unlock it. I would contact Rogers again and see what they say. By thr looks of it, the phone is locked to Rogers. Apple has no control over this until Rogers does ask Apple to unlock it. I have heard stories like this and in the end, the rep at Rogers made a mistake.

Call back and see what they say.
I'm Here A Lot

I did - I was on hold with them while posting 😉

And the rep I spoke to this time said I need to get an iPhone 4 SIM from Telus. Do you think this makes sense

É I have a bad feeling I`m about to throw away $10 with a new Telus SIM card...I guess I`ll try calling Rogers one more time...and have to wait 15 minutes again...and have to speak to 3 different people until I get to the unlocking team. *sigh*

I'm a Trusted Advisor

If the third person says to get a Telus sim card, then try that and see. When iTunes says `The SIM card inserted in this iPhone does not appear to be supported`. It means the phone is locked to the carrier that sold it to you unless you bought it straight from Apple.

Its hard to get thr unlocking team at this time but keep trying tho. I really hope they unlock it or fix this issue for you:)
I'm Here A Lot

Picking up from a month ago...

I did go to the Apple store and they verified that my iPhone is locked to Rogers. 

So here we are, a month later, thought I'd calling Rogers again. After talking to the first CSR and giving my info, I was transferred to Customer Care, who verified I'm eligible, and then put me on hold to talk to someone in the unlocking dept. After 45 minutes of being on hold, I hung up.

Seriously, do they not care? Do they not want my $50? And is my poor wife destined to continue to use her crappy motorola phone and not get my pretty-darn-good iPhone 4?

WHY IS THIS SO DIFFICULT?

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

While it wouldnt suprise me that sometimes the hangups are on purpose.. MOST of the hangups are durring HOLDS.. they really need to change their phone system, if its this flakey 😛

Some departments you get in right away.. others take FOREVER.. they need more staff... they need more staff TRAINED properly.

Meowmix might know better.. but i THINK they can do it at the store as well? (the store may still be calling in maybe.. but LESS likely to get hung up on?)

I'm a Trusted Advisor

Hello ssarmazi

Well most of the Rogers customers have their lines dropped calls & such. This is nothing new with Rogers. It either could be the CSR doing it so they do not help you, it could also be the area you are OR it could also be the system doing it by accident. No one has a real answer about that.

As for the phone being unlocked. As the CSR told you, you are eligible. Call back tomorrow & speak to them again. If nothing works, Contact the Office of the President. They will be sure to help you.

The store can NOT do anything at all. The store is not allowed to unlock the phones nor contact Rogers for any unlocking. This is ONLY done by the customer calling in.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

OK, wasnt sure on that point, thanks Meowmix.  Though you would THINK they should be able to at least facilitate it through them... oh well.

Only thing i can sugest when calling in... IF you do have a land line you can call from, try calling from that.  IF its the system droping you.. this can help.. SOMETIMES.  Some of these phone systems dont always play nice with cellular.. that it appears that the call was droped from the callers end as the system is not getting  proper signal or something similar back from the phone... so it hangs up.  I have seen this a few phone systems (where i work included). 
Time for a phone system upgrade rogers!

Again.. this might not sove being droped, speicaly if it is the CSR doing it.. but at least its one point of illimination.  With at least 24 calls from myself this year into rogers.. i have had 2 droped, that i can remember.  And even those were from land lines.  I think they were when on hold switching departments.

I'm Here A Lot

It wasn't a dropped call guys - I just gave up after such a long wait. I was on a landline at home.

So anyway, 3rd time was a lucky charm. I called back from work last week during business hours. i still had to go through 3 CSRs, was on hold for 42 minutes, but I finally got through and  it  worked - the iPhone was unlocked and now my wife has an iphone 4 in time for Christmas.

So that's about 2 hours on hold, 3 separate attemps, 9 CSRs, one visit to the Apple store, just to pay Rogers to unlock my iPhone which really shouldn't cost me a penny in the first place...

Thanks all for your tips and for co-miserating.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Half to hear you got it done.

Best bet in the future, if you ever plan on swaping a phone around between carriers, best to buy the phone outright unlocked and not tied to a carrier (though would have to buy full price)