cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers Throttling Downstream (P2P) too??

Khicken
I'm a Regular

I noticed this letter complaining about Rogers throttling their P2P Downstream since the fall of 2010.

(Link to letter: http://www.michaelgeist.ca/component/option,com_docman/task,doc_download/gid,38/ ) Rogers is suppose to respond to it today as it is the deadline. What is the response from Rogers?

Is Rogers throttling downstream traffic as well as upstream?? Seems unfair to me. I mean we pay different tiers for different download speeds!? But if they are all throttled what is the point of going for a higher speed??

Throttling and Caps seem to be getting a little bizarre.

***edited labels***

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Rogers Throttling Downstream (P2P) too??

The Policy has not changed.  P2P download speed is not impacted by Rogers Traffic Management.

For the complete Policy please click on this link

View solution in original post

13 REPLIES 13

Khicken
I'm a Regular

I noticed my speeds are a little slower since last fall with P2P down....but could be a number of things I suppose. Anybody else notice anything? Can somebody from Rogers find out if downstream is being throttled?

Tkavil
I've Been Here Awhile

My speeds have dropped drastically. My download speeds average around 10kb/s peaking at about 100kb/s.(rarely) At first I thought the problem was from my end but I've tried everything!!!

Darkpaw
I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers is throttling everything now.  I pretty much confirmed this last night, even after arguing with a tech for over an hour on the phone with him INSISTING that Rogers "does not use throttling at all".  Perhaps their techs should read their own network management policies.

Ressy
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Rogers responded yesterday with the following lies:

http://www.michaelgeist.ca/component/option,com_docman/task,doc_download/gid,45/

Theres not a problem with the application if I can switch from Rogers to Teksavvy and suddenly can play again with no problems (all because Teksavvy doesn't throttle).

RandomZero
I Plan to Stick Around

Wow, that response is complete bull**bleep**.

I've posted simlar responses here (I think), on the WoW forums (Pretty sure about that one), and a few minutes ago on DSLReports.com, but I'll post it again here anyway.

Rogers explanation would make sense, 10 years ago when BitTorrent first came out and most apps did in fact throttle the download if you didn't upload that much (to prevent leeching)... But that's only if you overlook the fact that the throttling only occurred if you set the limits in the application and not the network (IE, there are settings within the application that control the upload/download. If you were set the upload limit to 10kb/s then your download speed would be throttled. But if you're simply not uploading anything faster than 10k/s, your download would not be throttled).

I'm not sure if most applications these days implement the same throttling techniques because well, as soon as I found that out (within the first months of my actually using BitTorrent), I set the upload to roughly 1/2 of my max upload speed and have been doing so ever since. 

Darkpaw
I Plan to Stick Around

That's complete BS on Rogers' part.  I keep my torrents wide open and my upload bitrate is almost always 0.  Yes, 0k/s.  Every once in a while I'll see it jump to 1 or 2k, then it falls right back to 0.  I feel bad.  It also prevents me from EVER being able to submit a patch for the OS I use (Fedora Core - no Micro$oft here).

Is there anytimes during the day that Rogers doesn't throttle as heavily?? I thought the Bandwidth caps were to ease congestion? you also need throttling? Rogers upgrade your stuff and give your customers a break.

ravonic
I've Been Here Awhile

Since this is for technical support.  Rogers is there a public location that i am able to watch my bandwidth play out as i use it.  This way people will be able to say "no, Rogers is not throttling my downloading because i can see it right here"  I believe that you are throttling P2P downloads, i believe that you are throttling Net Flix.  Please provide any information that will help me believe you, like i want to.  Writing a letter does not prove it, seeing is believing.  Thank you for your time.

EricL
I Plan to Stick Around

Oh yeah they are throttling p2p, an everything else they chose to.  I have Ultimate, an when i download from a hotfile fileserver or from a filesonic i can maybe get 1.2-5 meg/sec at any random time, but then i go back on about 1/2 hour later an i can't d/l any faster then 200/k a second.. Rogers is controlling it the way they want.. I am actually trying to get some of my money backf or the last 3 months... this is just obsurd why they keep throttling.. i remember when they first got cable an that was amazing, an now they are the turtle again.... upgrade their systems... got korea is using gig lines now come on an their like 27/bucks a month equiviliant....

beautypersoni
I've Been Here Awhile

According to Rogers' Network Management Policy, they outright admit to throttling P2P uploads but also state emphatically that they do not throttle P2P downloads...

2. Which applications does Rogers manage?
Rogers manages traffic associated with certain P2P file sharing protocols for customers of Rogers Hi-Speed Internet (delivered over cable) and Portable Internet from Rogers. We use packet inspection to determine the type (but not the content) of upstream traffic only. High-volume, low time-sensitive traffic (such as P2P file sharing) is limited to ensure all customers have a high level of service for time-sensitive tasks like sending email, requesting web pages, video and voice applications. For Rogers Hi Speed Internet (delivered over cable) and Portable Internet from Rogers customers, the maximum upload speed for P2P file sharing traffic is 80 kbps at all times. There are no limits on download speed for any application or protocol.

Rogers does not use packet inspection for individual monitoring. We do not examine packet content, or use the information for any other purpose than traffic management.

Here's the part of the policy they'd use to try and place blame for slow download speeds on something else...

6. Is P2P download speed impacted by Rogers traffic management policy?
Rogers does not manage download P2P file sharing traffic; however, some P2P applications will limit download speeds based on various factors, including the amount of P2P upload traffic and protocol acknowledgments. These factors may be responsible for customers experiencing slow download P2P file sharing speeds.

Anyhoo...

The Policy has not changed.  P2P download speed is not impacted by Rogers Traffic Management.

For the complete Policy please click on this link

RandomZero
I Plan to Stick Around

The policy did actually change. I made a post about it on here (which was likely deleted) and on DSLreports a few months back.

The policy used to include a statement that Rogers did not throttle Web Browsing, VOIP, and possibly some other protocol, but that was removed and replaced with number 6.

As for the P2P downoad speed, I'm still not sure why you're openly denying it again as Rogers has openly admitted that it has been affected.

All I can say is good job on being up to date, RogersHemal, kudos to you.

I hadn't known of that "slight" change in the policy. Thanks, RandomZero!

Things like (6) and stating that rates can change at any time, but without giving even an approximation of how much those rates could change are called "weasel words."

The wording in the rate change example could hypothetically allow a company to increase their rates by 1,000,000,000%. Of course, if you bring up this fact, the company reps will just wave you off, saying that would be ridiculous. But, that is essentially what those weasel words would allow.

IMO, weasel words like that, giving no specifics or even approximates, are essentially null and void as part of a contract, even if a customer knows of those words, since most people wouldn't reasonably sign such a contract if they believed it could abused as such.

When it comes to throttling, I'm confused as to why Rogers can even do so with P2P uploading (and admit it) when they were told outright by the Government of Canada that they could NOT throttle internet speeds. I don't recall an exception made for P2P uploads. Or downloads, for that matter.

Whenever I've talked to Rogers on the phone, I'm of course given the run around. I feel bad for the employees because this is what they are told to do, though likely through more innocent instructions.

If I'm talking to someone in the Account Department, and I bring up throttling with regards to Rogers not giving me what I'm paying for, they tell me that I'd have to prove that, and I'd have to contact Tech Support.

Tech Support will of course tell me that any problems I'm having have to do with programs I'm using. So, it's a he-said/she-said situation. And even if MANY customers are having the same "problem", while using a variety of different systems and programs, Rogers will still claim that it's not a "problem" on their end.

Anyhoo...
We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?
Topic Stats
  • 13 replies
  • 6 Likes
  • 9 in conversation