Rogers TechXpert

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Rogers TechXpert

Is anyone else getting a message that they have to update their rogers online protection.

If not it will be done automatically in 15 days.

I tried the link to update and a box popped up that showed what I already had plus something called Rogers techXpert.

When I tried to download it, it showed a runtime error.

When I looked into Rogers techXpert  it seemed to be an added cost from Rogers.

Is Rogers online protection changing??

thanks,

denise

***edited labels***

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Re: Rogers TechXpert

The techXpert yes, is normally a CHARGED service.. its like general PC tech support, like you would get from a store that does repairs, etc.

The rogers online protection, has a few different levels.. the free one.. and there is a more premium one, which is pay for, but includes the techxpert, etc.
Likely you may have ended up going to the wrong spot.

I Plan to Stick Around

This appears as a pop up message.

I didn't look into additional protection coverage.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

The popup may be directing to the wrong spot then.
The one with techxpert is pay, so don't download that at least on your own (as doing so could be deemed as agreeing to the extra charges)

Beyond that I can't help much more, as I choose to use other more capable antivirus programs.

I Plan to Stick Around

thanks.

I will ignore it.

Highlighted
I'm Here A Lot

Rogers TechXpert

So I install Techxpert and the Basic Protection and it kills my connection so I uninstall it and I'm connected again but with no virus protection and four calls later to the help line over 5 hrs and nothing still. So do I bite the bullet and buy my own virus protection, go to Bell, hire a nine year old to solve the issue?
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Truthfully?

Move to a different, better antivirus.  The rogers one isnt that great.
There are tons of free ones, that are better.  MSE being one of the better ones, kapersky, AVG, etc.

(switching ISPs wont change anything)

I've Been Here Awhile

I've been waiting to chat with my "Rogers TechXpert" for one hour and two minutes. I was connected to someone for a couple minutes which was enough time for me to explain the issue but the only response I received was 

"Robert L has stopped servicing requests. Please wait."

I had better luck with the regular tech support but because "Rogers" doesn't allow their regular tech guys to do anything with "port forwarding" the guy couldn't help me and said he didn't know anything about port forwarding. Must be quite the technological wizard. I suppose I should be amazed he knew how to type a reply considering he wasn't part of the "Premium Support" staff.

What kind of problems can the standard Rogers tech support help someone with? How to dial a phone? Changing the channel on their cable box?

Thankfully I have just upgraded my internet package and have access to these TechXperts or I wouldn't be sitting here in front of my computer waiting to get this so called support for the past hour.

Am I completely wrong in thinking when you pay $350 a month for a service, that you should receive said service?

I am thoroughly disgusted at the amount consumers have to pay and how much service we receive. There is little to no effort used on "Rogers" part when it comes to things like upgrading plans. If I were to switch from the cheapest plan for internet they offer to the most expensive plan, I don't get a team of workers digging up the cable line that comes to my house from the street. All a "Rogers" representative would do is make a few key strokes from their desk and BAM! I get faster connections and more data.

Thankfully our Government allows them to gouge the consumers with ridiculously high prices and chain us into contracts that will soon need to be signed in blood and notarized by the Devil himself, or some people might actually get ahead in life.

Maybe I'm being melodramatic but I thought a company used to "give people the best service they could give them", not "as much service as the person could afford". I guess times are changing and I'm just old fashioned because when I talk to people about this the response I usually get is "Yeah. You're right. But what can you do?"

Well, it's been 2 hours now. I can't sit here any longer because I have to work in the morning or I won't be able to pay for the service that I don't really receive. Guess I'll try again tomorrow. 

You win this round "Rogers". 

Who would have thought if you just ignore the problem (being me) it'll just go away. I'll need to remember that incase there is a grease fire in my kitchen. If I don't acknowledge the problem, there isn't one.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Rogers in the end, is only responsible really, for the signal TO the box, and that the box is working.

(this goes for the cable box, internet box, etc).

Anything going out of it, setup on a TV, PC, etc.. is all up to the USER.

While yes, technically the port forwarding settings are ON their box...  it is usually for apps on the PC end, which they can not guarantee will work, etc.

You would likely be hard pressed to find many ISPs which would help with it (i know bell wont either).

The Techxpert is like calling your local computer store, or a non covered support line.. its a pay tech support, for things beyond the basic 'internet is there and working' stuff.
That being said.. i have never used it... as i work in IT as a sys admin, and still likely know more than they do Smiley Tongue
The support really shouldnt have taken that long, etc..

----------------------

As for your PROBLEM:  Port Forwarding.

If you would like some user help on this.. there are many including myself who are quite experienced at it..  feel free to post a new thread asking your specific port forwarding question.
(make sure to post as much info as possible.. gateway / router being used, what end app/device, etc.)