Rogers Suspended My Email !!!!

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Mah
I've Been Here Awhile

Rogers Suspended My Email !!!!

Hi. it seems Something happaned in rogers that i dont have any idea about it. i know many ppl that even they didnt come online with their accounts and now they are tellin me that they accounts got suspended cause of nothing. i am one of them and when i tried to solve the case ive called them and they said you did some tos violation . Lol funny. even i didnt send any email. just recieved.  by the way... is there anyone here who experienced this?  

***edited labels***

skinorth
I'm an Advisor

Re: Rogers Suspended My Email !!!!

@Mah:

sorry to hear of your problems with email.  Can you be a little more exact on what is happening to your email?

It may seem strange, but it is possible your computer was sending emails, even if you personally were not.  That can happen if your computer is infected with malware known as a spambot.

But I am only guessing here, as you have only told us you have a problem with email, but not very much else.

By the way, does "tos" = Terms of Service?

Please elaborate and maybe we can help.

skinorth

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

I am guessing yes, that Mah is refering to the Terms of Service with ToS.

A while back, i had some form of irc-bot virus, which rogers threatened shutting down my service alltogether.  I never did find anything, and they didnt suspend it (it was on my old router, so maybe someone piggybacked or something on it).

But when they called, it was saying, due to the spaming nature of what this virus was doing, that SPAMING goes against the ToS.

So it is quite possible that the email has been used for spaming purposes, and that is why they shut it down.

Like Skinorth said, it is possible your machine is infected with a form of malware which is spaming emails out from your PC itself.

One other possibility, is just that your email has been hacked period (they have obtained your password by chance, brute force, a different keyloger, etc).
With your email and password, the rogers mail server info is pretty common knoledge, they can sit literaly from ANYWHERE in the world, and make it spam from your email account.

Ontop of making sure your machines are virus and malware clean (Make sure to run BOTH, malwarebytes is a great malware program), i would change your password on your email as well.. prefereably from a clean computer.

Mah
I've Been Here Awhile

Hi and thanx for paying attention to this matter. i was investigating about this issue in last 2 days and i found many things. it seems there are some ppl in yahoo and also in rogers who can forge headers and make a fake abuse reports to send to the yahoo abuse or rogers abuse and make emails deactivated. it seems they did the same with mine as i found. when i try to login into my account there is a error message : Account Suspended

Sorry. Your account is currently unavailable.

Please call 1-888-288-4663 or email Rogers Hi-Speed Internet Customer Carefor more information.

And when i contcat rogers they tell me we will escalate a ticket and i need to wait about 48 hours but nothing will happen. and error message still exist. and yes tos = terms of service
MichelR
I'm a Reliable Contributor

It's unfortunately extremely easy to forge an e-mail header - usually they just forge the "From:" address which makes it really easy to know that it's forged (by looking at other information in the header).  I've seen some better forgery, but it's usually not too hard to figure out the e-mail did not originate from the real owner of the account.  Unfortunately, sometimes some providers are a bit too quick to "judge" and will just cancel an account based on reports and not investigate much further.  Sometimes all e-mails coming from a specific mail server will be blocked even (happened to me a few weeks ago - e-mails from my mailing list provider were blocked by Hotmail).

skinorth
I'm an Advisor

@MichelR:

I was well aware that it was very eary to forge/spoof email headers.  But sending out the types of emails which are being discussed here to service providers puts a whole new, different and quite malicious spin on the term "Denial of Service" attack!

There was a term for this some centuries ago: Poison pen letter.

You would think that email system admin people would be more knowledgeable on the whole subject of spoofing, and the use to which it could be, and apparently, is being put!

skinorth

Mah
I've Been Here Awhile

By the way it seems they stopped my account and they wont accept that they had a fualt and it was just a fake report. and it seems i lost my email address for ever. the one that i merged my yahoo id with it too. Lol  yahoo and rogers are the same and they ARE NOT SAFE.

MichelR
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@skinorth wrote:

@MichelR:

You would think that email system admin people would be more knowledgeable on the whole subject of spoofing, and the use to which it could be, and apparently, is being put!

skinorth

You won't get an argument from me here.  I've seen this happen way too often.

Also some are also too eager to mark things as spam "just because."  Last weekend I sent out an e-mail to my mailing list, and one recipient bounced because of a URL in the e-mail (the record label's name happens to be its URL).  It would seem like someone using that e-mail provider had flagged mailings from that URL as spam (the label does send out e-mails to its customers, but there's an unsubscribe link in all of them and it works).  So that guy didn't get my mailing list e-mail just because of that.

skinorth
I'm an Advisor

@MichelR:

real-life experiences such as the one you recount tell the truth of the matter.  But was that a case of an automated spam filter being too crude in its filtering, either because of its lack of functionality, or of the settings on the spam filter being too "coarsely" adjusted.

I personally have had to help out acquaintances who asked me why given emails were not being seen.  In some cases, their own spam filters (on, for example, Outlook) were causing the problem, and they actually had received the emails, but not noticed them because they ended up in their spam folder.

skinorth