cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers Samsung Galaxy S3 Firmware Update Sept 04/2012

nToxik
I Plan to Stick Around

I just noticed this morning that my Samsung GS3 has a firmware update ready to install.

Anyone know what this firmware upgrades/changes?

****Edited Labels****

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions

Re: Rogers Samsung Galaxy S3 Firmware Update Sept 04/2012

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

The firmware update was sent out to every single S3 on every carrier in Canada. Some will need to plug the phone via USB on the computer & open up KIES & it will show the update their if you do NOT get the update via OTA.

It gives you “improved stability”, bug fixes, better battery life and you can now adjust the screen brightness from the drop down menu. No need to go into settings for this anymore. The change the little something in the Text messaging part as well. When you wanted to send a text message, the send & the attach bottun would be both in 1 place on the right side. Now they moved the Attach icon on the left & keeped the Send where it was. Great things overall. This is NOT JB 4.1. Its still on 4.0.4, just a little firmware update fixing things.

I suggest installing it. It does help

View solution in original post

34 REPLIES 34

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

The firmware update was sent out to every single S3 on every carrier in Canada. Some will need to plug the phone via USB on the computer & open up KIES & it will show the update their if you do NOT get the update via OTA.

It gives you “improved stability”, bug fixes, better battery life and you can now adjust the screen brightness from the drop down menu. No need to go into settings for this anymore. The change the little something in the Text messaging part as well. When you wanted to send a text message, the send & the attach bottun would be both in 1 place on the right side. Now they moved the Attach icon on the left & keeped the Send where it was. Great things overall. This is NOT JB 4.1. Its still on 4.0.4, just a little firmware update fixing things.

I suggest installing it. It does help

View solution in original post

nToxik
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks.

Yeah over on XDA, they also mention some upgrades to the modem for better speed/reliability as well as some changes to the stock music widget and a slight change to the stock text app. I haven't downloaded yet but it looks like some decent fixes.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
You are welcome. Yea i was reading their thread as well about that too. It seems pretty neat they did this for us.

dfk
I've Been Here Awhile

So I heard that rogers has released new firmware for the Samsung Galaxy S III. However when I try to update my phone it says "there is no update available". Has anyone else had this problem? I even tried to connect my phone to my computer and still nothing.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor

Once you connected the phone to your computer, did you open up Samsung Kies?

If so did it not pop up anything? My Kies needed a update before giving me the firmware update for my phone. It could be that Kies needs to be updated before the update gets pushed out.

Some have gotten the update via OTA but some of us need to get it from the Kies. Also some are reporting they did not get the update yet. This could be due to regions & Cities.

nToxik
I Plan to Stick Around

I updated both my S3 phones OTA with no problems.

Wazzy24
I've Been Here Awhile

I have noticed I have an "N" hovering over my Software Update shortcut, but everytime I click on it, it says no updated available.  Why is this, and how do I get it to update?

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
There is 2 options on getting the update.

1. Doing it over OTA if it came to you.

2 . Some will need to plug the phone via USB on the computer & open up KIES & it will show the update their if you do NOT get the update via OTA. Some have also reported that you need to download the new update for KIES in order to get the update. Once you open Samsung Kies it will show you.

logidev
I've Been Around

Does this update also address the signal issues most people are experiencing with the s3?

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Yes it does. On both my S3 & sisters S3 we had signal issues & once the update came, most of the signal issue was fixed.

Wazzy24
I've Been Here Awhile

I still can't seem to get the update.  I'd tried downloading Kies...which i just don't understand...lol...but even so...I have the "N" on my software update shortcut...but everytime i click it, it says no updates available....i'm alittle dumbfounded.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
What is the Build number on the phone settings? Maybe the update went threw it self. Some are reporting that the update downloaded it self with no one noticing.

My build number is IMM76D. That should be the one with the update on it.

Wazzy24
I've Been Here Awhile

Build # is IMM76D.I747MVLALE8.  The Kernel version is dated May 23, 2012 though.

The change moved where the attachment icon is on text messages right?  Cause when I type a text message the attachement icon is still under the send icon.

philhouse
I Plan to Stick Around

This morning I received an indicator about the update. I clicked Postpone. I then tried to do the update about half an hour later but now it says No Updates Available.

My Build Number is IMM76D.I747MVLALE8 so that must be the build without the update, unless the build number doesn't change somehow. I even had Only Update over WIFI checked off and haven't been on WIFI in a couple days, so I'm assuming it hasn't updated...

I'll try to update over Kies tonight or tomorrow I guess.

Is there a way to check if we have the update other than the build #? Someone mentioned the placement of the attachment button in text messages. Could someone post a screen shot? Mind is still under the send button.

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Try doing it over Kies. It will work

Yea when you go into Settings - About Device scroll down and see Kernel Version. The new update should be dated as Tues Aug 14 10:16:58 KST

philhouse
I Plan to Stick Around

Okay, thank you.

This thread is helpful too:

http://forum.xda-developers.com/showthread.php?t=1869561

philhouse
I Plan to Stick Around
I updated via Kies. Make sure your phone is fully charged or else it won't do the update. After that everything worked flawlessly

AllanVS
I Plan to Stick Around

I did my update at like 60% charge (I did it upon returning home from school.)
I had tried first thing in the AM with 100% battery but it didn't work, oddly.
And that was on the first day of the release, so like Wednesday.

jlannen
I Plan to Stick Around
Along with the.changes mentioned if you are using an sms app you can now properly set. The LED notification colour...at least I.can now.

Marcyan83
I Plan to Stick Around
This update made my phone die faster. Was just streaming music. For a few hours. The but was doing this recently and it didn't die.