cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers Redboard Article on Improving Internet Speed

Frazzled
I'm a Reliable Contributor

What is really ironic is that Rogers just published an article on their Redboard site (»redboard.rogers.com/2013/how-to-···p-speed/) on how to get your Internet running at top speed.

One of the things they mention is to "Make sure your wireless router isn’t slowing you down: If you’ve signed up for a fast internet plan, you need a fast wireless router to get all that speed." The irony of course is that Rogers is now providing only gateway modems with built-in routers that are absolute garbage! Perhaps they need to follow their own advice!!

In the same article they go on to tell you that the best connection is a wired connection. I am sure that many of us are aware of this. The problem is that many customers have multiple devices in their homes - more than one computer, smartphones, tablets, and game consoles to name a few - and it is just not practical or possible to have use a wired connection on every device. This is why we count on Rogers to provide us with proper equipment and in this regard, Rogers is letting us down!

***edited labels***

4 REPLIES 4

Re: Rogers Redboard Article on Improving Internet Speed

Meowmix
I'm a Trusted Advisor
Hello Frazzled

You know what is funny tho?. They never mentioned you are able to bridge them & add your own router!. They are keeping customers in the dark without saying this. Only a few of us on here know this. It seems Rogers thinks we can fall for their tricks!.

Yes wired connection is faster BUT why say that when they know 98% of the customers use wireless & WiFi to access the internet on multiple devices? I really do NOT think they realize anything about their customers anymore.

This article is just there to show that you need a wired connection to get the speed you want & them saying " Make sure your wireless router isn’t slowing you down: If you’ve signed up for a fast internet plan, you need a fast wireless router to get all that speed."

When Rogers can get better getaway modems with built in routers, then they can talk!.

Frazzled

Meowmix, I do not think there is a gateway out there that has a good, built-in router. Companies like Rogers seem to think that customers want a gateway - and we would if they worked as advertised. The problem is, they do not! That is why many of us would like to see a good, solid, stand alone D3 modem. It is actually much easier to install a 3rd party router on a stand alone modem than it is to install one on a gateway. The whole bridging thing would be eliminated with a stand alone. Customers always did this before they introduced the gateways! 

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
That's what all my research so far to date has shown, pretty much ALL gateways preform poorly, across all the models/ISPs.

I mean how hard would it be for them to talk to someone who has a GOOD stand alone and buy some tech off them. (You would THINK the Cisco would have this, they make enterprise level stuff)

Want to know an even scarier thing? The Hitron is one of the BEST ones reviewed! And we all know how it performs 😞

gisuck

@Gdkitty wrote:
 The Hitron is one of the BEST ones reviewed! And we all know how it performs 😞

FTFY: And we all know how it performs with Rogers custom firmware 😞

We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?
Topic Stats
  • 4 replies
  • 0 Likes
  • 4 in conversation