cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers Online Protection update installed Videotron???!!!

UWWarrior
I've Been Around

This happened to my wife's PC this morning. I noticed her screen popped up with a Rogers Online Protection window that says it needs to start an update with the button to proceed and restart the computer. There is a little hyperlink on the bottom for more information. When I clicked on the link, it took me to a Videotron site but got 404 error. So I closed the window.....but the program  (under Rogers name) proceeded with update anyways, with a message saying Rogers Online Protection will be disabled while this happens.

Now it gets really strange.....the Videotron security started to download and install...and everything was in French. It proceed to remove my Rogers Online Protection and a totally French screen came up asking to re-boot the computer. After I re-boot, a French Videotron security product window came up asking me to input some sort of product/license number. This is where I called Rogers support....and then echat. They weren't any help to explain why Videotron was replacing Rogers. After 3 hours and 2 calls and 4 chats with support and having them took control, where they only was able to install a wrong version (where I was not subscribed to anything except Identity Theft), I finally gave them up and just re-installed Rogers Online Protection myself. Ran a deep scan and no virus found.

Now I'm really wondering how Videotron could hack into Rogers Online Protection Update process!

***edited labels***

20 REPLIES 20

Re: Rogers Online Protection update installed Videotron???!!!

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

Do yourself a favour and uninstall ROP! It is total garbage. Install any anti-virus program out there - AVG, Avast, MSE - anything but ROP.  Do a search on these forums and read up on it yourself. To be brief, I once had an honest Rogers tech (they are few and far between) tell me to never install any software from Rogers and I am happy to have taken his advice based upon what I have read!

dougzy
I've Been Around

Just letting you know. The same thing happened to me this morning.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Not sure how/if they could hack into the update process..

But there are MANY virus out there, that if they install, will shutdown/disable/uninstall (or at least try to) any virus protection on the system.. weither rogers, symantec, ms, etc.

IHR and i may not see eye to eye on many topics, but this one we do.  I would remove the rogers protection, there are other, better free ones out there.

I myself use the MS Security Essentials, and have found it catches practicaly everything (more than AVG for me at the time)

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

Actually, Gdkitty, we see eye to eye on a lot of things - just in a different way.   Smiley Wink I too use Microsoft Security Essentials. 

pac_west227
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@IHR wrote:

Do yourself a favour and uninstall ROP! It is total garbage. Install any anti-virus program out there - AVG, Avast, MSE - anything but ROP.  Do a search on these forums and read up on it yourself. To be brief, I once had an honest Rogers tech (they are few and far between) tell me to never install any software from Rogers and I am happy to have taken his advice based upon what I have read!

+1. I find avast pretty good and it's free. Better than that Macafee and Norton crap and others that gouge you 25-30 bux each yr for a so-called "updated license".  Never use that cheap useless ROP since I've had the internet. Garbage is the right description. Point blank. lol.

dgmcconnell
I've Been Here Awhile

This same thing happend to me yesterday morning (Nov22/12). I called the Rogers and they put me through to their tech support people and the first thing they told me was they wanted a $100 or so to fix my computer on-line or I could have someone come here to the house for something like $130 or so. Also they quoted a monthly fee, maybe $10 or $15, in order to have ongoing access to such service or maybe it was for extra ongoing protection. I said 'no thanks' and went on to attempt a re-instal Rogers security package but about three or four steps into the process up came a Videotron window to put in a number or something like that. After a few more tries, I sensed I was going no where, so I downloaded the free Microsoft anti-virus package and it uninstalled the Videotron anti-virus package. Then I downloaded Rogers security again with no problem. However, when I pulled up the Rogers screen to make sure my ant-virus, firewall, ant-spyware was shown as being "on", the message was that I couldn't access Rogers for the time being. I turned the computer off and went for a walk. When I turned the computer back on about an hour later, all was right again.  

huh.. from all the reports..  i mean, i doubt that the installer was HACKED... but maybe someone on the back end screwed up and messed up the installer/updates for it...
That or something WAS changed on it...
But of course.. like normal.. it takes MONTHS for the techs to be told/trained on it 😛

But yea, still all in all, best to go with another package.

RogersSarah
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hi guys,

Just wanted to jump in and see if anyone is still experiencing problems with this.

@RogersSarahM

pac_west227
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@IHR wrote:

Actually, Gdkitty, we see eye to eye on a lot of things - just in a different way.   Smiley Wink I too use Microsoft Security Essentials. 

I uninstalled avast and installed MSE as well. I recall when it first came out it was ranked pretty mediocre. Appears to be getting 4-4.5 stars out of five now on majority places on the net. I figure it's free and it is MS. Out goes avast and now MSE is on the taskbar. Love the free stuff... 😉

dgmcconnell
I've Been Here Awhile

Has anyone heard from Rogers regarding what seems to be one of their updates downloading in the form of a Videotron security package? 

dgmcconnell
I've Been Here Awhile

Let me rephrase, does anyone have any kind of an explanation for the Rogers-Videotron glitch?  

guys its not a hack,  the company that makes online protection software made a boo boo, their program somehow grabbed the video tron update, instead of the one designed for your service provider. Rogers is also not the only customers affected buy this, other internt providers have had this happen to their customers.

Rogers should have a procedure in place to support this mistake and correct it, if not tell them to look it up on the library or what ever data base they use for their support.

dgmcconnell
I've Been Here Awhile

Thanks Pauly. I decided to uninstal the Rogers security package. I went for MSE protection. I'm still not over them telling me right up front that I had to sign up for one of their fee for service programs before they would address the Videotron takeover download. I wonder how many others paid Rogers their fees for a Rogers authored up error?

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
Well, it appears the techs were not aware of this issue. So when the average user calls in sayin this, it would seem like this is some form of 3rd party software, that Rogers is not responsible for. Therefore they would charge for their services (like if you took it into a store if you had an issue )

Issue or not, hack or not, you will do yourself a huge favour by never, ever, installing any software from Rogers. MSE is a good choice!

jays77
I'm a Trusted Contributor

One good thing about the free antivirus programs is that because they are free you can give different ones a try and find one that works best for you

I've never used or heard many food things about Rogers  or any of the high profile (Norton, Mcfee etc.) anti virus programs.  There are several good free programs to choose from.  AVG Free gets the highest rating from PC Mag and it gets high ratings from independant testing lab..  I've used it for years and it has worked really well.  I especially like the link scanner (safe search) and some of the other extra features. Another good feature is that  unlike Norton, it doesn't take up a whole lot of space on your computer.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert
I used to like avg, but have found lately, that it likes to think about games that patch regularly (wow, steam games), tht the content has changed and therefor block it thinking its a virus 😛

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

One of the reasons I switched from AVG to MSE was the constant pop-ups and advertising on AVG promoting their premium services. You get none of that with MSE!

jays77
I'm a Trusted Contributor

I never get pop ups or advertising from AVG except for the once a year notice I get stating that I can upgrade to the next years version of the free AVG. I should soo be getting notice that if I want to I can download the 2013 version.

FormerMember
I'm a Senior Advisor

Perhaps they have improved. I used to swear by AVG and I know a lot of people who still use it. I got annoyed by it and based on a number of recommendations, I switched to MSE a couple of years ago. To each his own I guess. All I know is that I would never install the anti-virus from Rogers.

Topic Stats
  • 20 replies
  • 1 Like
  • 9 in conversation