Rogers Online Protection Unavailable

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Rogers Online Protection Unavailable

I don't shut down my computer much for reasons best left unexplained. The other day, though, I logged off for the first time in several months. When I logged back on I got a message that my ROP hasn't been used in 30 days. Now I can't get it working. It tells me I need to access the Internet from a Rogers Network. No idea what that means.

I know there was a very simple solution that I saw here or on the previous forum. Can't remember what it was. Any ideas?

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: Rogers Online Protection Unavailable

You would be much better off with one of the free programs available on-line like AVG, Avast, or Microsoft Security Essentials!

I Plan to Stick Around

I concur 100%.

I Plan to Stick Around

I Plan to Stick Around

As other posters have expressed, the ROP is weak and can be self replaced by better FREE third party suppliers.  Keyword searches on a search engine will bring up myriad of viable resorces with far better effective protection than something that Rogers offers just in order to sound more attractive in their marketing materials.

Retired Moderator RogersHemal
Retired Moderator

@josephus You currently have the old Rogers Online Protection installed. Please update your Rogers Online Protection by going to our website www.rogers.com/protect and it is still free. The new protection will use Bit Defender as the Anti-virus/Anti-spyware engine. Bit Defender has been proven to be one of the industry leaders when it comes to protection. Firewall protection is provided by AVG.

Eww..

Who'd want to use anything by AVG.

AVG bricked a few thousand machines with Vista/Win7 64bit OS's back in December by wiping out a file thats required to boot the machine.

I don't consider it safe to use.  Also, its track record with zero-day infection detections is abysmal.

Microsoft Security Essentials is just about the best free antivirus there is right now for detection of zero-day infections.

Retired Moderator RogersHemal
Retired Moderator

@Ressy AVG is only used as Firewall protection. Bit Defender is used for Anti-virus and Spyware. No computer scan will be performed by AVG.
I Plan to Stick Around

People will have various opinions about anti-virus software, but I do know that AVG is an anti-virus program, not a firewall and it will scan your computer. Your statement is incorrect RogersHemal!

AVG is actually very highly rated according to CNET. 

http://download.cnet.com/AVG-Anti-Virus-Free-Edition-2011/3000-2239_4-10320142.html

Like RespectPlease stated, it is an anti-virus program and includes spyware. I also know that Avast is highly rated and so is Microsoft Security Essentials. I would never trust my computer again with ROP!

Now on PPV
BARE KNUCKLE FC 9: LOBOV VS. KNIGHT 2
LIVE: Saturday, November 16, 2019 9PM ET
Channels: 348 (HD) | 350 (SD) | Ignite TV 499
Price: $39.99 (HD) | $39.99 (SD) | Ignite TV $39.99
DTV & Ignite TV customers can order now!

Bare Knuckle Fighting Championship returns with BKFC 9, featuring the rematch of April’s “The Fight of the Year” between former UFC star Artem Lobov and Jason Knight.

Topic Stats
  • 14 replies
  • 2 Likes
  • 10 in conversation