Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers Online Gaming Thread

RogersMargaret
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi Community,

Welcome to the official Rogers Online Gaming Feedback thread! We will use this thread as a central point to discuss anything related to your online gaming experience on the Rogers network.  Our @CommunityHelps team will be here to help as usual.

We also recommend all of our gamers to sign up for the Rogers WiFi Modem Firmware Trial. Feedback from the Community has resulted in great improvements to the overall internet experience, specifically with regards to ping and latency on the Rogers network. For details of this program, please see this thread.

To learn more about Rogers and online gaming, check out our gaming page at www.rogers.com/gaming

Thank you for your continued feedback and support.

Game on!!

607 REPLIES 607

Re: Rogers Online Gaming Thread

JohnBeaudin
I'm a Senior Contributor

I started to stream on twitch , yesterday I streamed for over 4 hours and I had no issues streaming it, so at least the issue is only when we watch stream, but I am confident it will be sorted out soon now 🙂

i am currently paying for the ignite 1 gigabit upload and 30 download, the first few days were fine (getting 100+ download) I am a gamer and i do watch alot of youtube, netflix, and crunchroll. for the last month or so my internet speeds have been really slow, being 30 or less download and 10 or less upload with my nat type always being strict. I don't know what to do at this point seeing as my bill came in and im paying $253.13 for less than 30/10 right now could it be the modem, do i need a new router? any help would be appreciated, thanks 

@MasonMcMillan12 can you log into the modem, navigate to the STATUS ..... DOCSIS WAN tab, copy the downstream and upstream tables and paste them into a post.  The copy and paste process will paste in the text contents of the tables.  Those tables are the downstream and upstream signal levels which may be of interest at this point in time.  

Are you running the modem in Gateway mode with all of your devices connected to it, or in Bridge mode with a follow-on router behind it?

Are you gaming via ethernet or wifi?  

Hello Community!

It has been a few days since my last visit here but I haven’t forgotten about you. It’s just that my “real job” was taking a lot of my time (and is still) in the last 2 weeks.

In any case, I manage to get a contact at Twitch and started discussing the issue that some of you are observing.

At this point, the Twitch technical team asked me for the following information:

1. Your IP address (visible in the gateway status page)
  2. Your location (city)
  3. Time duration and Time Period of the buffering event
  4. Channel being watched
  5. Video server or POP watching video from
  6. “x-playlist-request-id” which is in the “View” tab on the Browser>Developer>Developer tools>Network Tab> Click on any file> Response Headers> Last line “x-playlist-request-id”

Since this contains private information so please that that to me over private message and I will relay it to Twitch.

Dave

So is the coda modem the way to go now when it comes to online gaming ? I know it had issues with udp/ some latency issues has that been fixed now ?

mossryan124
I've Been Around
I have a question regarding FIFA 17. Many people including me have faced an issue. It occurs when you enter FIFA 17's pro clubs mode and go to start match. When you go into the lobby where your friends are, it causes them to freeze, and not allowing them to move their cursor, start the match, pick a position, back out of the lobby, etc. If I leave the lobby, they're able to again. I created post on EA forums regarding this issue, and many other Rogers customers had the same issue. Someone said it was due to an issue with IPV6, but no one was 100% sure. I have all the ports opened, Xbox One in a DMZ, and A open NAT Type. Any help? Also, how do I join the trial firmware thing? Thanks.

Nadernt
I Plan to Stick Around

So I recently moved into a new apartment building, and I've started noticing a lot of ping jitter during the afternoon and evenings up until late at night. Best case scenario I seem to get like 5ms jitter, but it's been going up to 25ms sometimes. It has made playing some games pretty bad. I'm using the CGN3ACSMR, with the same settings as before I moved. 

My download/upload speeds are fine, usually above or at what I pay for (100/10). It's the ping that has been an issue everyday since I have moved here. I tried a factory reset on the modem already, but I don't think that helped the issue.

I had this problem with jitter before I moved, but then it stopped for a long while and now I seem to have it again after my move.

Could it be an issue with congestion in the area? Should I upgrade to the CODA modem? Anyone else have this problem and was able to solve it?

Thanks.

Edit: I made this post just after I finished a gaming session where my ping was deviating from 45-60ms. My friend in the same general area as me (different ISP) was getting 39ms. 10 minutes after I posted this, I run a speedcheck and pingtest, and now I am getting around 4ms jitter. I go test in-game again, and I'm now getting a relatively stable 40ms. No changes in any programs running as far as I can tell. This jitter problem sure works in mysterious ways.

The game in question is Overwatch, which has Central US servers I connect to. The problem also occurs in CS:GO, which has US east, US central, and US southeast servers.

I'll probably make an update tomorrow if I experience the issues again. Any help diagnosing would be appreciated. Thanks.

Edit 2: Another 25 minutes since my last edit, now my jitter is testing 18-30ms. I even turned off wifi on the modem to see if that makes a difference, and it doesn't. Really weird how it's fluctuating in such little time.

I get high ping/jitter especially at night from 5pm- 12am most likely due to congested area... Where are u located? I'm at Sheppard and donmills area ... The coda modem might help not sure.

Nadernt
I Plan to Stick Around

London, ON, south end near Commissioners & Wharncliffe. Not sure if this counts as a congested area or not.

You should ask @RogersKevin or @RogersDave if they know of any Congestion issues in your area.... We have been waiting for a fix in the area donmills and leith Hill Rd, North York area. since December 2016 I don't know what's taking so long but it's getting rediclious.

@mossryan124 the issue with finding multiplayer matches for an XBox EA game when IPv6 is enabled is a known issue and this is being discussed with Microsoft.  For EA games, this will prevent you from finding a game match. For other XBox games, you shouldn't have any issues.  I refer you to the following posts:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Rogers-Online-Gaming-Thread/m-p/395529#M45674

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Rogers-Online-Gaming-Thread/m-p/395501#M45662

If you have a white CODA-4582 modem, I refer you to the following response to the same query as yours, only a day earlier.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Any-way-to-disable-IPv6-on-Hitron-CGN3AMR-or-other-way...

If you have a black CGN3xxxxx modem and you are running an unlimited account, I would suggest switching to the CODA-4582 as it would enable you to disable IPV6 in the modem.  That has been observed as the solution to the problem for now.  The ultimate solution will be for Microsoft to fix the problem that prevents IPV6 gamers from finding matches.

Hey @tonytoronto have you tried the coda modem now that it has the .27 firmware and would you say it's better then the rocket modem when it comes to latency

Nadernt
I Plan to Stick Around

Update from my post yesterday:

I played a game of CS:GO last night. I was place in a US central server and throughout the match I saw my ping drop to as low as 38ms, and go as high as 80ms. 38ms seems to be what I get with <4ms jitter. I had nothing else running, no one else on my network and only 1 other device other than my PC (an iphone that doesn't have any sync set up).  My average ping was around 55ms throughout the match, but it was constantly moving around. 

It's 10am right now on a Sunday and I'm still experiencing around 15ms jitter.

Are u on the white coda modem or the cgn rocket modem ?

Nadernt
I Plan to Stick Around

The CGN3ACSMR rocket modem.

Why don't you go get the white coda modem supposed to be the best rogers modem for gaming online with the newest firmware .27 it supposed to fix latency/ping ,jitter from what people are saying you can confirm with @RogersKevin or @RogersDave

Welcome to the gaming thread @Nadernt! Posting your signal levels should be helpful in diagnosing the issue, here is a recent post from @Datalink with steps.

@Nadernt The CODA-4582 modem with the firmware 2.0.10.27 included some changes that should help optimize the gaming experience. This coincides with other users on the forums who had also reported improvements in regards to gaming (ping/latency) with the modem & software version. If you are noticing a degraded experience with online gaming, then we would need to troubleshoot and identify the root cause. Analyzing the league of legends logs is very helpful in determining if your connection/area may be affected by an issue. If you are up for it, you could run some tests by following @RyzenFX instructions here.

I don't really play CSGO, do hop on from time to time. My experience matches with yours a ping that fluctuates here and there 40-50ms few higher peaks, played a match after seeing your messages. Appears the game runs fine for a MAC with the specs I have, I want to get a higher end PC soon (I'm a big console guy). @JohnBeaudin 

plays CSGO so may have some additional insight.  

From the testing I've done at my house with the CODA 4582 & 2.0.10.27 it showed improvements in ping/latency. Everyone has different needs so mind you I had the CGN3ACSMR with the Ignite package for a long time before before making the jump to gigabit & coda, and I enjoyed it, and it worked well for the family.  I was only gaming casually with consoles at that time and was not doing as extensive testing.

Keep the Community updated on how things are going, we are glad to help out!

JohnBeaudin
I'm a Senior Contributor

CSGO run much better on coda with .27 and D3.1 , that's the best you can get for now!

Nadernt
I Plan to Stick Around

Thank you very much for the replies you guys. I'll look into getting the CODA modem.

@Nadernt if you're running an unlimited account you would be eligible for the CODA-4582. 

Nadernt
I Plan to Stick Around

Yeah, I am running an unlimited account. Is the CODA modem rent price any different from the rocket one? I can't seem to find the information on Rogers' website.