Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers Online Gaming Thread

RogersMargaret
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi Community,

Welcome to the official Rogers Online Gaming Feedback thread! We will use this thread as a central point to discuss anything related to your online gaming experience on the Rogers network.  Our @CommunityHelps team will be here to help as usual.

We also recommend all of our gamers to sign up for the Rogers WiFi Modem Firmware Trial. Feedback from the Community has resulted in great improvements to the overall internet experience, specifically with regards to ping and latency on the Rogers network. For details of this program, please see this thread.

To learn more about Rogers and online gaming, check out our gaming page at www.rogers.com/gaming

Thank you for your continued feedback and support.

Game on!!

607 REPLIES 607

Re: Rogers Online Gaming Thread

Asim2
I've Been Here Awhile

Yup, that's exactly it.

Well that sucks.

WackyDino
I've Been Here Awhile

The problem arises from ping spikes (intermittent packets that are sent with extremely high latency). Due to the fact that customer support reps only care about AVERAGE ping, they deem the problem "non-existent".

If you have 100 packets sent... 90 of them are 10ms and 10 of them are 100ms (which is a big problem noticable with high-tickrate/packet games like CSGO), the average is still 19ms, which they deem "good" and find no reason to look into. I have yet run into a CSR that actually understands the problem of having ping spikes, even if it's just a packet or two.

Even worse, I'm not sure how often test packets are sent during a CSR "diagnosis" - if they're sent every 2 seconds and the ping spike happens for 0.5seconds in-between, there is no way this is even detectable on their end - which is often the result I get when calling in/online chat.

pitfall21
I Plan to Stick Around

I have this problem too.  I play mostly on Chicago servers and the ping bounces around from 30-250 on the same server.  I have swapped out Coda modems, talked to tech support, ran Tracerts that show timeouts (which is when I asked Rogers to change my routes, nope!!), and all my modems think I live in London instead of my city with is 3 hours away! By chance, last week a bunch of us on the same server were complaining about weird lag 30-200-40-250 and it turned out all 5 of us were on Rogers from different cities in Ontario!  So somethings up.  Does anyone know if the new Ignite modem is better than the Coda modem?  Thanks

Cyberkaki
I've Been Here Awhile

I am also having issues with my connection now with games like Dota 2 and Rainbow Six Siege.

On Dota 2, I would constantly have this problem where things stop moving and then every teleports. Seems to happen every few minutes sometimes. Sometimes it is okay again for 10-15 minutes and the problem comes back again. Seems to keep happening whenever a big team fight occurs.

On Rainbow Six Siege, I would experience rubber banding where I would reverse back to my initial location. Today it started to have the same problems like Dota 2 as well where everything stops moving and everything teleports like a quick fast forward.

I was thinking maybe the problem would go away but this time the problem persisted since the week before Christmas until now. It is starting to get really annoying. Friends that's also living in downtown Toronto near Yonge and Bloor have started to give up and switching to Bell. Not sure if that would help but I'm starting to lose my patience too...

pitfall21
I Plan to Stick Around

Trying to play online again right now.  If you have a video game addiction, use Rogers internet.  You can't play and you will be cured!  I'm picking servers with 30-35 ping.  The connections keep hitting 200 and all I see is other players sliding and me dying 😞     Today I made sure all my drivers were up to date, repowered the modem and my regular gaming PC, tried another pc.  Same problems.  Maybe If I write a letter to Santa Claus like that evil magician in Frosty the Snowman  "I will never ask for a price reduction ever again" 100 zillion times maybe just maybe my connection will be okay.  Lol.

Cyberkaki
I've Been Here Awhile
Yea I have been reduced to watching anime and netflix shows. Games I can play are jrpgs so I don't need to depend on my online connection. 😛 Joining my Rainbow Six Siege friends come with a disclaimer that I plant all my gadgets and prepare myself for death as I rubber band back into a headshot.

Hey @pitfall21,

Seeing latency when gaming can be incredibly irritating to state the least but we can certainly review the service to see if there's anything impacting it from within the Rogers network.

Are you able to post the signal levels from your Gateway? You'll be able to find them by logging into the modem. Also, can you confirm if you've run a traceroute to the affected server you're connecting to? This would give us a better idea of where the latency is occurring.

RogersAndy

pitfall21
I Plan to Stick Around

I don't know how to do the signal levels from the gateway.  But here is a Tracert I did just now.  In this instance, the timeout looks to be in the USA. Sometimes I get up to 3 and they may also be in Canada!   Thanks!

C:\Users\Family>tracert 14.1.30.122

Tracing route to aceitas.brightgoal.net [14.1.30.122]
over a maximum of 30 hops:

12 * * * Request timed out.
13 22 ms 24 ms 20 ms aceitas.brightgoal.net [14.1.30.122]

Trace complete.

Good morning @pitfall21!

Did you perform this test while you were connected via Ethernet or WiFi?

Could you also please include the full tracert results? We need to see all the hops in order to draw any conclusions from this test.

Thank you.

Regards,

RogersCorey

pitfall21
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi RogersCorey,

I spoke with Rogers on the phone and they can't do anything about it as many of the timeouts are in the USA.  Anyway, thanks for the help.

yyzsam
I Plan to Stick Around

Timeouts are expected and not an error. Most networks these days block ICMP/Ping for security reasons. I do this myself on my Sophos XG firewall.

Vurog670
I Plan to Stick Around

So after being sucked into Rogers once again due to a 1Gbps deal in my building at a very decent price (And no bell fibe availability), I'm back a full year later and I'm having the SAME EXACT issues. Is there something going on in the area? Inconsistent ping accross all games, ping spikes going from 40-100ms, ideally on a good day I have a stable 25ms, but that's very very rare. 

I got fed up around a year ago and just decided to go with a DSL connection, but I think I made a mistake coming back to rogers even though I am paying the same price for a 50mbps DSL and a 1Gpbs cable connection, seemed like a good deal right?

Previously techs have come and said that theres "nothing" they can do. Is there anyone from Rogers that can actually help me with this? I'm honestly considering just cancelling this account again.

elektrobug
I've Been Here Awhile

I play PUBG mobile on my phone and its absolutely unplayable on on home wifi. Every few seconds/minutes the ping will spike from 60-90ms up to 300ms-900ms+ and this happens non stop. When I switch to my Fido cellular its butter smooth so I know its not PUBG/Amazon servers. Its not the equipment in my house and the signal level are fine so the rogers techs do not see anything wrong. When I wire directly into cable modem and ping 8.8.8.8 I get the same packet loss and same latency spikes. Here is the screenshot of traceroute to PUBG/Amazon servers in NA, the connection just cuts out. Anyone have any ideas of what is going on or how to fix it? @RogersDave @RogersKevin 

Screen Shot 2019-01-28 at 7.43.28 PM.gif

elektrobug
I've Been Here Awhile

Here is me pinging google DNS 8.8.8.8. Looks like the internet just stop functioning for a few seconds non stop, rogers techs telling me all is well. Just very frustrated and no idea what to do.

Latency google.jpg

pitfall21
I Plan to Stick Around

Welcome to the 100% Packet Loss club!  I have tried Rogers DNS, 8.8.8.8, and 1.1.1.1.  No difference.  I hope someone solves this.

@elektrobug, first things first, don't ping some far off target.  This needs to be looked at, step by step, starting with the modem, and then the Cable Modem Termination System which is hop #2.  

Your last post shows packet loss to the modem and the CMTS.  You should not have any packet loss, in theory.  To the modem I'd expect no packet loss at all.  To the CMTS, your packet loss should be well under 1%.  

Any test like these should be done via ethernet and should be run for a 24 hour period as separate tests.

1.  Ping the modem, 10.0.1.1 using a 1 second rate to see the losses over the 24 hour test period. 

2.  Ping the CMTS, 99.229.50.1 to see if there are packet losses due to problems with the external cabling and / or connectors. 

When you ping the modem, you should not see any packet losses.  When you ping the CMTS, you will see packet loss from the modem if you happen to be running the white CODA-4582 modem.  Pingplotter and the 4582 modem don't play well together and the result is false packet loss indications.  These can be confirmed or discarded by running a command line ping to the same address.  If no packet loss shows in during a command line test, then Pingplotter is showing false packet loss indications. 

When you determine if there are problems ping the modem and / or CMTS, and resolve those issues, next step is to ping the Rogers DNS, which tests beyond the CMTS, but remains within the Rogers domain.  Only when that is done should you run a ping test outside of the Rogers network, or any ISP network that you might be a customer of.  Those three tests will let you know what the system is capable of.  When you test outside your home ISP network and cross multiple ISP boundaries all bets are off.  Very often ISP disable ICMP ping response from their servers, so you end up with 100 percent loss in a test.  That doesn't mean that the ICMP ping didn't arrive, but that there simply won't be a response from the "failed" server.  Every ISP sets its own rules and you get what you get unfortunately. 

Cyberkaki
I've Been Here Awhile

I'm not sure if this would help. I had problems with packet losses playing Rainbow Six Siege and Dota 2 a few weeks back and it lasted like a week or two for me. Restarting the modem or waiting for 5 minutes to restart the modem didn't help. Asking Rogers Call Centre was not much help either. I started checking the modem settings instead. What I found was there was a list of the ip addresses connected to it through LAN. Seems to be a problem from my PS4. It seems that the modem does an automatic port forwarding as well so I had a ton of port forwarding created to the same ip address. It reached like 3 pages of port forwarding. What I did was to remove all of the port forwarding and restarted the modem. That fixed the problem for me. There were no more problems with my online games. Each time the problem came back, I just restarted the modem and went into the modem settings (192.168.0.1) and cleared the port forwards again. I don't know how to stop it from automatically setting those port forwards for me so I've been doing this manually. Worked pretty good so far.

@Cyberkaki  any chance that you have UPNP running?  That would explain the port forwarding rules that you're seeing.  If you didn't create a static LAN IP address for the PS4, every time that you reboot the modem you might end up with a different IP address for the PS4 and a new set of rules for that new IP address.  If you create a static address, then there might only be one set of forwarding rules created.  

The question at this point, for you to determine, is whether or not the PS4 port forwarding rules are static rules, ie:  one set of rules fits all games, or, are the rules dynamic, ie: they change when you change games.  If they're dynamic that would be a pain as you might have to go in as you have done, and clear out any old rules.  I don't know if the modem allows the rules to be overwritten at all.  Possibly by using a static IP address for the PS4, you might be able to make this less painful.  

If the PS4 port forwarding rules are static rules, then you could simply turn off UPNP, delete the existing rules and reboot the modem.  Then, create a static IP address and the required port forwarding rules.  Reboot the modem again using the ADMIN .... DEVICE RESET .... Reboot function. 

Cyberkaki
I've Been Here Awhile
The weird part was it was set to 192.168.0.13. Not sure what happened but the modem had like 10 of that ip address in the list of connected devices from that same ip. Then it created port forwards for it that many times which flooded my port forward table.

Rainbow six siege uses a set of udp and tcp ports. I recognize those ports as I used to manually set them on my Asus router last time to smoothen the game. Funny thing is now the port forwards aren't helping. I might try and switch off upnp to see if that helps. I do remember other problems when I switched that off on my Asus router but I can't remember what they were as that was a few years ago. I no longer use the Asus router modem now.

elektrobug
I've Been Here Awhile

@Datalink 

It seems like the spikes happen as soon as there is any kind of load on the network. For example as soon as use another computer, or run a speed test (light 10-20% load from slow AP) the network stops responding and times out non stop.  I tried swapping routers and currently use a latest gen Apple AC model so I dont think its the router. I tried swapping (rocket) modems as well, I use it in bridge mode. 

elektrobug
I've Been Here Awhile

Just notice that it seems to time out and start loosing packets most often when I run speed test and it switches to the upload portion of the test.