Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers Online Gaming Thread

RogersMargaret
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi Community,

Welcome to the official Rogers Online Gaming Feedback thread! We will use this thread as a central point to discuss anything related to your online gaming experience on the Rogers network.  Our @CommunityHelps team will be here to help as usual.

We also recommend all of our gamers to sign up for the Rogers WiFi Modem Firmware Trial. Feedback from the Community has resulted in great improvements to the overall internet experience, specifically with regards to ping and latency on the Rogers network. For details of this program, please see this thread.

To learn more about Rogers and online gaming, check out our gaming page at www.rogers.com/gaming

Thank you for your continued feedback and support.

Game on!!

607 REPLIES 607

Re: Rogers Online Gaming Thread

J04DAN1
I Plan to Stick Around

ISSUES WITH DROPPED FRAMES WHILE TWITCH STREAMING OVER ETHERNET ON OBS

Ok this issue has been ongoing for me since I started using the CODA modem and I've never been able to find a solution. Essentially my issue boils down to this:

When streaming using OBS on a wired connection my upload will completely drop to nothing for a couple seconds and then come back to my desired bandwidth. This happens at least once every 5 minutes. This results in dropped frames for viewers and very undesirable experience. 

I have tried everything to fix this issue from using different Ethernet cables, buying a Cat-7 cable to try, resetting modem multiple times. No matter what I did it would not fix the upload just completely stopping for a few seconds every couple minutes, until......

I purchased a cheap wireless adapter for my PC from Amazon. I bought this for my daughters computer but decided to see if I could replicate this issue on wireless. To my surprise there are absolutely no issues while streaming using WiFi. I was able to stream for hours at 5000mbps without a single dropped frame. I switched back to a wired connection and immediately this issue returns. 

This means there is either a setting inside the router/modem that is causing this on wired connections or the ports on the modem are defective(yes I have tried different ports on the modem. All have same issue). My concern is this isn't just an issue with the ports on my specific router but is an issue with all the modems. 

Can anyone else confirm these issues are present or not present using the white CODA modem? Thanks. 

@J04DAN1, a very interesting post to say the least.  Just to check, have you seen any issues with any other applications when your connected via ethernet to the modem?  Can you have a look at your Device Manager .... Network Adapters and let me know what ethernet and wifi adapter model you have?  I'm curious at this point as to whether you have an Intel or Realtek or other adapter on your pc motherboard or laptop.

Edit:  do you happen to have a switch available that you could use for temporary test purposes.  That would look like;  modem - switch - pc/laptop.  This would isolate the modem from the pc or laptop's ethernet port and should confirm if the issue is on the modem's ethernet side of the house, so to speak, or if there might be an issue between the modem and the specific model of ethernet adapter on the pc or laptop. 

RedLir
I Plan to Stick Around

@J04DAN1

I have a similar issue that I've been troubleshooting for months.  Like you I'll get OBS to just stop transmitting for a few seconds at a time.  In my case it's multiple machines, cards, cables etc that have been tested.  It's either at the router or something outside throttling.   I have had this issue across different models of router though.   I have yet to try a wireless connection to test, but if you let me know the wireless adapter you tried, I'll pick one up and test it.

My only "solution" has been to use a VPN to encapsulate the data, and that seems to stop the dropped frames, even at a 6k bitrate tested.  I  had started a different thread previously on it.

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Throttling-RTMP-to-Twitch/td-p/403319

J04DAN1
I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink

So my Ethernet is an Intel I218-V right now running Microsoft driver v12.15.22.6. I’ve also tried using Intels specific driver and it made no change. My wireless adapter is a Realtek RTL8811AU USB 2.0 running Realtek’s driver v1030.11.503.2016

I don’t have a switch to try currently but I might be able to borrow one to test soon 

EDIT: Also forgot to mention that I’ve had no issues with anything else internet related while using Ethernet on my PC. I play online games, stream video and browse web with no issues. 

Vurog670
I Plan to Stick Around

Hey guys,

Lately I've noticed a ton of ping spikes whilst playing league of legends - I'd normally play with a solid 20-25ms rarely ever going above 25ms. Almost always solid.

For the past week i've had ping spikes where it would just jump up to 200ms and then it stabalizes between 40-50ms.

Anyway we can troubleshoot this? Whilst 50ms isn't awful its twice what I should be getting, so I'd like to get it resolved asap.

Cyro
I Plan to Stick Around
I'm also experiencing the same issue. My ping is usually around 29-32ms. Never really goes above either.

I've been trying to play League of Legends for the past week or so and I've been getting like 90+ ping. I've also tried other online games like Overwatch and also seem to be getting 100ms.

I contacted Riot Support and they told me this;

"It looks like once your connection leaves your house you get massive latency spikes and packet loss right at the very next node on your connection's route to the game server. That's not good. This is definitely a case for your ISP to come take a look at."

Hopefully Rogers can take a look and get this fixed ASAP.

RyzenFX
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Noticed the same thing yesterday night. 40ms stable which is up 10 from the usual 27ms I average. Not sure why but I hope this gets investigated.

MallardQuack
I Plan to Stick Around

Ok. So I'm back again. One week after I thought this issue was resolved and now I'm having the exact same thing again happening any time I try to upload to any ingest server on any streaming service. I've done the full runthrough of everything that I did before. Really getting fed up with whatever issue there is between Rogers and anyone trying to use the Upload portion of their internet.

Fwiw, I would call tech support and ask to speak with a Level II tech regarding the Multiple Dwelling Unit that your modem connects to.  The level I tech might give you some heartache, but, unless he or she can answer MDU specific questions (don't believe so), then he or she can't help.  Next level please and thanks.........  Advise the Level II tech of the issue that you're having with uploads and ask what the current load is on your MDU, and whether or not there are any indications of problems with the MDU.  I'm assuming here that the Level II tech has remote monitoring capability that will allow him or her to check on the current state of your MDU.  Also ask if there are any tickets posted against that MDU for repairs or replacement.  See what info you can obtain from the Level II tech that might answer some questions.

Vurog670
I Plan to Stick Around

Exactly the same thing Riot told me, I don't have issues in Overwatch or any other games though.

Hopefully someone from rogers will look at this once the weekend is over and get it fixed 🙂

@Vurog670@Cyro please have a look at the following post for the purpose of setting up Pingplotter to monitor the modem to Cable Modem Termination System (CMTS) which your modem connects with if you happen to live in a residential area.  If you're in a large apartment/townhouse/highrise, then you could be connected to a Multiple Dwelling Unit (MDU) if the building was large enough.  So, by setting up Pingplotter as indicated in the following post, you will be able to look at ICMP ping latency to the CMTS/MDU and look for any packet loss. If there is packet loss, it will show up in red on the plot.  It may be better or worse than the plot shown in the second link.  

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Intermittent-disconnects/m-p/364602#M35528

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/media/gallerypage/user-id/1505261/image-id/4058i46C3417FA9EB1B8...

In either case, house or large apartment, etc, the services of a tech would required to examine the cabling and connectors between the CMTS/MDU and the modem.  In the case of a house, the cable from the local tap doesn't last forever and has to be replace every once in a while.  It makes no difference if the cable arrives overhead from a utility pole or underground.  The cable is subjected to external weathering and water ingress, causing packet loss.  

Ok, have a look at the two posts and give that a go so that you have a better idea of what the problem might be.  If you want to post a screen shot, IPv4 addresses are fine, IPv6 addresses for the first hop should be scrubbed from the image as that address is specific to the modem.  

Cyro
I Plan to Stick Around
I've followed the steps and I'm not getting any red lines.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, thats good.  Let that run for at least 24 hours.  You're looking for any packet loss that might occur, or, for any large increase in latency during the evening hours.  With 24 hours of data, you should be able to see changes in the response time from the CMTS, from the early morning hours where the response time will be the fastest, to the heavy use evening hours.  Running with a ping interval of 1 second, you will run into data averaging, which pingplotter does.  In that case you will have to step down in plot time to say three hours and scroll back and forth to see the response times during the day.  Right click on the display and select an appropriate plot time.  You will see that as you go up in plot times, that is, from 60 min to 3 hours or more the plot flattens out as the data averaging takes effect, so you lose the high time responses from the plot.  As you go down in plot time, there is less and less data averaging.  If you have the Max time column displayed, and the Focus time set to Auto so that the text data timeframe matches the plot timeframe, you can look at the difference between the MAX time and the plot maximum ping time that is displayed.  If there is no difference then there is no data averaging.  As you to to longer plot time, you will see a difference between the text Max time and the Plot Max time, which is due to the data averaging.  If you increase the ping interval to something like 2.5 seconds, you would be able to see the whole day without any data averaging.  Personally I prefer to run 1.0 seconds or less to capture the high time events and put up with the data averaging by selecting a lower time frame for the plot. 

Cyro
I Plan to Stick Around
Alright I'm currently running it for 24 hours. But I'm getting high ping all the time. I've tried playing early in the morning, afternoon, and very late at night. Regardless my ping is always way higher than what it should be.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Ok, can you log into the modem, navigate to the STATUS .... DOCSIS WAN tab, copy the Downstream and Upstream tables and paste them into a post.  The copy and paste process will paste in the text contents of the tables.  Don't copy and paste the upper System Info, which contains the modem MAC address.  Just the downstream and upstream sections please.  I'm wondering if you have some problem with the signal levels, specifically the upstream channels? 

Cyro
I Plan to Stick Around

Downstream Overview

Port IDFrequency (MHz)ModulationSignal strength (dBmV)Channel IDSignal noise ratio (dB)
1651000000256QAM-1.1001638.983
2579000000256QAM1.100540.366
3585000000256QAM1.200640.366
4591000000256QAM1.100740.366
5597000000256QAM0.600838.983
6603000000256QAM0.200940.366
7609000000256QAM0.0001038.983
8615000000256QAM-0.3001138.983
9621000000256QAM-0.7001238.605
10633000000256QAM-1.1001340.366
11639000000256QAM-1.5001438.983
12303000000256QAM2.900138.983
13657000000256QAM-1.0001738.605
14663000000256QAM-0.5001840.366
15669000000256QAM-0.2001940.366
16675000000256QAM0.3002038.983
17681000000256QAM0.8002140.366
18687000000256QAM1.2002240.946
19693000000256QAM1.4002340.366
20699000000256QAM1.1002440.946
21705000000256QAM0.9002540.366
22711000000256QAM0.3002638.605
23717000000256QAM-0.5002738.983
24723000000256QAM-1.3002838.983

Upstream Overview

Port IDFrequency (MHz)ModulationSignal strength (dBmV)Channel IDBandwidth
130596000ATDMA - 64QAM40.75016400000
238596000ATDMA - 64QAM42.75033200000
323700000ATDMA - 64QAM39.75026400000

MallardQuack
I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink After doing an initial check, the tech says that all levels seem to be in spec in both the Modem and the area. I wasn't convinced they'd checked the MDU so I pressed a little and asked them to open a ticket or Maintenance order. After an extended wait they came back and said they couldn't do the maintenance order but did create a ticket and gave me the case number. Here's hoping it gets escalated to the right places because this issue is really starting to drive me nuts.

I've attempted what other users have done as workarounds as well. Using a VPN did not help nor did using a wireless network card. My issue seems to stem from the connection leaving my apartment, which is why I was sure, like you, that it was the MDU. I'm just at a loss for what I can do, especially since it was up and running again for a week and then, as if on cue, it went down on Saturday once more.

Vurog670
I Plan to Stick Around

I dunno dude, I've got a few friends around the GTA (Kitchner & Missisauga to be exact) who have all been having the same issue. 

@Datalink I got 2 single red lines in about 2 hours of running ping plotter to my MDU.

SimpleEri
I Plan to Stick Around

As the title states, i have been experiencing extreme ping spikes for the past week or so. I thought it was my router dying on me however after swapping it out twice, the high ping persists. I am currently using the hitron CGNR3ACSMR modem and have a dlink DIR-850L router. I had this issue a long time ago with rogers and after a long 2-month discussion, the issue was resolved by a segment of Network Infrastructure where I was located being upgraded. At least this is what one of the very helpful MODS told me. My question is to figure out if this is the same issue or something completely different. 

Ping statistics for (google.com)
Packets: Sent = 565, Received = 555, Lost = 10 (1% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 10ms, Maximum = 716ms, Average = 57ms

When i ping my default gateway 

Ping statistics for 192.168.0.1:
Packets: Sent = 40, Received = 37, Lost = 3 (7% loss),
Approximate round trip times in milli-seconds:
Minimum = 2ms, Maximum = 116ms, Average = 9ms

Whats the deal here

Interesting, that you are having more dropped packets, etc going to the modem itself.

Have you tried swaping the cable between the router/modem (just to eliminate that).

Beyond that, your best bet i would think would be to swap the modem itself.
If you can (if its not more for your current inernet plan) best bet might be to switch up to the new CODA modem.

MallardQuack
I Plan to Stick Around

This intermittent upload speed issue to sites like Twitch.tv is just getting more bizarre for me. I spent about 2 hours talking to Rogers on Sunday afternoon after my issue returned on Saturday. Then sometime Sunday evening the issue went away and I was able to stream on Monday. Today I woke up and just ran a test stream (something I've been doing every day now before actually attempting one) and the issue is back. It's really starting to confuse me to what the actual cause is considering it goes away and returns seemingly at random.