Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers Online Gaming Thread

RogersMargaret
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi Community,

Welcome to the official Rogers Online Gaming Feedback thread! We will use this thread as a central point to discuss anything related to your online gaming experience on the Rogers network.  Our @CommunityHelps team will be here to help as usual.

We also recommend all of our gamers to sign up for the Rogers WiFi Modem Firmware Trial. Feedback from the Community has resulted in great improvements to the overall internet experience, specifically with regards to ping and latency on the Rogers network. For details of this program, please see this thread.

To learn more about Rogers and online gaming, check out our gaming page at www.rogers.com/gaming

Thank you for your continued feedback and support.

Game on!!

607 REPLIES 607

Re: Rogers Online Gaming Thread

MallardQuack
I Plan to Stick Around
Did the frame drop issues just start recently for you or have they been going on for a while now?

@MallardQuack its all good.   Nothing foolish about switching modems as part of an ongoing effort to isolate the problems.  The problem with the modem switch is that the CGN3xxxx modems are Puma 6 modems which suffer from latency thru the modem.  I believe the latest test version for the CGN3ACSMR is designed to finally resolve that latency for both IPV4 and IPV6, but, that would require running ping tests for ICMP, TCP/IP and UDP for both IPV4 and IPV6 to see if that is the case.  Your ping plots to the CMTS with the CODA-4582 show ping spikes but that is only to the CMTS.  That is an issue that has come up with the recent firmware versions for the CODA-4582.  The first plot also had a couple instances of packet loss in red.  If you've kept running pingplotter I'd be interested in whether or not you have further instances of packet loss between the modem and the CMTS.  

Edit:  To have the latest firmware version loaded on the CGN3ACSMR, you would have to sign up for the trial firmware.  To do that, follow this link @CommunityHelps to navigate to the @CommunityHelps page when you are signed into the forum. On the right hand side of the page is a link titled "Send this user a private message". Use that link to navigate to the next message composition page.  It will already be addressed.  

1.  Fill in the title with Rocket Trial Firmware Request.
  2.  In the text area, include your request, including the modem MAC address and Serial number. The modem MAC address and serial number can be found on the sticker at the back of the modem, or copied from the data located in the Status page of the modem when you are logged into the modem.

Send that info to @CommunityHelps and you should see a reply later today.

When you're logged into the forum, watch for a number overlaying your avatar at the upper right hand corner. Follow the avatar link down to the message inbox to acknowledge the waiver that is required for the trial firmware.  When that is acknowledged, you should see the firmware loaded later today or tomorrow.  When you know that the firmware has been loaded, reboot or restart the modem.  Don't run a factory reset as that will return the modem back to the current network production firmware version.

One other item I would suggest for anyone uploading to Twitch is to run through a series of streaming rates, running from low to high or vice versa.  Take note of the streaming rate that you've selected and any packet losses that are observed.  I'm thinking of cases where there is packet loss between the modem and CMTS for some reason, or packet loss further downstream, from server to server.  Is there a point, as you increase the streaming rate where packet losses are observed?  That might be different for each person due to the routing, but, if this could be determined, that is one more piece of the puzzle that can be investigated.  

JCatt
I've Been Around

I have some major ping issues with League of Legends. I just recently got the Rogers Ignite 60 Student plan and I manage a steady ping of 200 from Stratford, Ontario. While this is an update from my previous provider where I would spike to 1000+ ping and disconnect, I still had an average ping of 30~.

I currently have the CGN3ACSMR modem. Any help would be appreciated. 

DRayEdge
I Plan to Stick Around

theyve been going on for a while now. ill test streaming to other services like youtube and hitbox to see if the issue persists.

MallardQuack
I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink I'll run a more in-depth test when I get the chance, but I can tell you that I have experimented with different bitrates and resolutions to see if I could pinpoint it earlier and I can confirm that I experienced the framerate issues at all of the bitrates I tested until I lowered it to 500 kb/s. Now, that's not an ideal speed to attempt the upload at for anything of quality, but I did find it interesting that I could leave a stream running for 15-20 minutes without any spikes or dropped frames, but even upping that speed to 1,000 kb/s saw the framerate issue return every 30 seconds or so. I will try to pinpoint the 'tipping point' so to speak and will report back with my findings.

EDIT: After testing in increments of 50 going up from 500 kb/s, I started having the frame issue once I hit 700 kb/s. Then to verify I started going back down by increments of 50 and continued to have the issue until I reached 550 kb/s. So somewhere in that range it appears I'm crossing some sort of threshold that causes packet loss/upload speed issues arise. 

MallardQuack
I Plan to Stick Around

So I know this isn't going to be visible right off the bat to everyone, but I just ran a PingPlotter test to a streaming service that lets you ping it's ingest servers (Smashcast/Hitbox). When I try to stream to them I get the same upload drops and the same dropped frame issues, which leads me to believe it isn't a Twitch issue. But the difference now is that when I use Ping Plotter with the CGN3ACSMR gateway I'm not sure if it's a bug or if suddenly it's showing me all these lost packets. I wish I had tested it to hitbox on the CODA before I swapped. But the 1st hop is losing 99.6% of packets in this ten minute test I did.

hitbox Pingplotter.png

Note: I have not been upgraded to the firmware trial for the CGN3ACSMR so that could also be the issue with this specific test. When I see that that update has been pushed to the modem in the next few days I will run the pingplotter again to see if that resolves it.

Can't see the image yet, but, regarding the pingplotter loss for the 1st hop, disregard the loss.  That's a modem issue that causes pingplotter to register losses to the first hop.  I think at intervals above 1 second you should be ok, below 1 second and you will see losses.  The more interesting question is what are the losses at the ingest server?  You could ping the CMTS by using a command line ping to confirm or deny the existence of any packet loss to the CMTS. 

Also note, an updated version of pingplotter should be available by now. 

MallardQuack
I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink Ok, will ignore the first hop. Basically there's 10 hops to get this ingest server in new york. The rest of the hops were as follows

2. 0.4%

3. 0.4%

4. 0.8%

5. 0%

6. 0.4%

7 0.8%

8. 1.2%

9. 31.5%

10 (ingest server) 1.2%

So the last hop right before the ingest server is also getting a sizeable loss. I know that's just a bunch of numbers and not super helpful until the image is approved.

EDIT: I'd left the interval at 2.5 seconds and was experiencing the 99.6% loss on the first hop. Not sure if that makes a difference.

Ok, image is up, thats not too bad.  The max times showing in the Max Time column are all due to some singular max time from the modem to the CMTS hop.  The problem at this point is that the ICMP transit time may not reflect the RTMP transit time, so, I'm not really sure if pinging the server is of any value.  The same idea applies to pinging a gaming server with an ICMP ping where the game itself uses UDP and the CGN3xxxx series modems do have latency with UDP transit thru the modem.  The exception might be the very latest trial firmware for the CGN3ACSMR.  

I'm wondering at this point what the RTMP traffic to the server would look like with Wireshark.  For ICMP, TCP/IP and UDP, its possible to plot the round trip times which Wireshark calculates.  I wonder if RTMP is the same in that regard and what that might look like when the response times are plotted?  Food for thought ......

MallardQuack
I Plan to Stick Around
Yeah, I'm not familiar with Wireshark or how to run it. Though I'm always up to try and help. That's another program I can install.

DRayEdge
I Plan to Stick Around

ive just tested streaming to youtube, framedrops are still there. youtube however handles framedrops differently. entire chunks of the stream are missing rather than twitch which still delivers the audio stream but no video steam.

Its actually not hard to install or run Wireshark.  To install it, download the installation file and allow the installer to load Winpcap as well.  I don't remember if Wireshark requires .NET or not. 

Once its installed you start the program, select the ethernet interface as the capture interface and it will start recording everything transmitted and received by the pc thru the ethernet interface.  To stop the recording, hit the red stop button.  Then you can save the file by using the File .... Save function.  To start a recording go Capture .... Start or Restart.   Let that capture session run as long as you want and stop it whenever you want, save it if you want to.  Done.  

So, its pretty easy to capture traffic to and from the pc.  The interesting part is finding the response time buried in the data.  Wireshark calculates the response as part of the response data for other protocols.  I suspect that it might do the same for RTMP.  Won't know until I can see a sample of it.  

In the case of UDP, the response time is found in the DNS (response) data.  In the case of TCP/IP, the Round Trip Time is found in the SEQ/ACK analysis.  For ICMP the Response time is found in the ICMP Response time data.  Soooo.... thinking aloud here, I wonder and suspect that in the case of RTMP, there should be a similar calculated time field that clocks the response time from or to the server.  If so, that can be plotted thru the Statistics .... I/O graph function.  It would be interesting to see if that is the case, and if so, what the plot would look like.  

Edit:  looking at the Youtube streaming info page, RTMP is used as well:

https://support.google.com/youtube/answer/2853702?hl=en

MallardQuack
I Plan to Stick Around

Playing with Wireshark a little bit before heading to bed here. I don't know if it's because I'm tired or not, but there's a lot of info here that I don't think I'm up do digging through now.

But I am noticing a separate protocol that I can filter by all dealing with RTMP. I can even see under the info where I'm beginning a stream and stuff like that. Not sure if that's what you mean by the stuff we would be looking for?

Edit: While digging through some of the RTMP packets, there are some that are listed under the Expert Info as being "Malformed". It's highlighted in red so I can only assume that that's a bad thing. 

The top filter bar allows you to filter by protocol and other conditions, or, you can select a line, and right click to Prepare a Filter or Apply as Filter.  That way you can restrict the view to a given protocol type.  To see everything again, clear the filter bar and hit enter.  That will display all of the packets.  If you entered ICMP, or DNS, or RTMP or TCP/IP for example, that would filter all of the data to display the selected data type. 

If you select a good RTMP line, look at the bottom display area which expands the data on that line.  See if there is an RTMP section in that total amount of data and look within that RTMP section for any sign of a Response time.  It might not clearly state Response Time.  It might be Round Trip Time or some other type of time that suggests a round trip or response time.   I'll dig thru the Wireshark element dictionary to see what I can find.  

In the case of malformed packets, thats not good.  At this point we would need someone like @RogersKevin or @RogersDave to look at that and determine what the problem is with the packets.  

I wonder, if you played with the upload rate, up or down, if you would get to a point where there wouldn't be any malformed packets.  Are they possibly an issue with pc loading at higher upload rates??

MallardQuack
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm off for the night, but what I can do is do a test stream tomorrow while recording the data with Wireshark to get a good glimpse of the data. Then I can save them as separate files as I play with the upload rate, to see if there's any correlation between those factors.

Thank you for all your help and information @Datalink

If you watch that data in real time, you might be able to determine if there is a upload data rate point where the malformed packets start and see if there is any correlation to the server feedback indicating packet loss.  Back the upload rate off slightly to get rid of the malformed packets and see what happens to the packet loss.  Won't know what happens till you try.  But, if all of the issues are due to external factors, maybe it won't make any difference if every packet leaving the pc is in perfect shape.....

AhmedAskar
I Plan to Stick Around

Haven't had issues after the modem swap, just letting you know.

Im still pretty sure, the problem for me was the modem, going from CODA to CGN solved it.

Had 0 frame drops on 8-10 hour streams on Ashburn server.

MallardQuack
I Plan to Stick Around

@AhmedAskar That just makes it all the more strange to me that the modem swap didn't give me the same results. 

I did see two Rogers Techs working on the box at the back of my building when I left for work this morning - a request filed by the Technician who came to my apartment on Monday - so I'm wondering if there was something wrong and will do a test when I get home to see if that resolves anything.

MallardQuack
I Plan to Stick Around

Just wanted to post a follow up here. The techs that were at my building today seemed to have fixed whatever was causing my issue. I've done two separate 3.5 hour streams - once in the day and left it running while at work, and once at night during "primetime" hours. The first stream had a few early, but shorts pikes. The total frame loss on the whole thing was only 0.2%. The second later stream I did had 0 dropped frames. Will monitor it over the weekend to see how it holds up.

@MallardQuack wrote:

Just wanted to post a follow up here. The techs that were at my building today seemed to have fixed whatever was causing my issue. I've done two separate 3.5 hour streams - once in the day and left it running while at work, and once at night during "primetime" hours. The first stream had a few early, but shorts pikes. The total frame loss on the whole thing was only 0.2%. The second later stream I did had 0 dropped frames. Will monitor it over the weekend to see how it holds up.

Can you post your DOCSIS WAN Signal levels, I'm curious how they look.

MallardQuack
I Plan to Stick Around
Downstream Overview
Port IDFrequency (MHz)ModulationSignal strength (dBmV)Channel IDSignal noise ratio (dB)
1609000000256QAM1.1001040.946
2579000000256QAM0.500540.946
3585000000256QAM-0.200640.366
4591000000256QAM0.300740.366
5597000000256QAM0.800840.366
6603000000256QAM0.600940.946
7303000000256QAM1.100138.605
8615000000256QAM1.9001140.946
9621000000256QAM2.0001240.366
10633000000256QAM2.6001340.366
11639000000256QAM2.4001440.366
12645000000256QAM2.5001540.366