Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers Online Gaming Thread

RogersMargaret
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi Community,

Welcome to the official Rogers Online Gaming Feedback thread! We will use this thread as a central point to discuss anything related to your online gaming experience on the Rogers network.  Our @CommunityHelps team will be here to help as usual.

We also recommend all of our gamers to sign up for the Rogers WiFi Modem Firmware Trial. Feedback from the Community has resulted in great improvements to the overall internet experience, specifically with regards to ping and latency on the Rogers network. For details of this program, please see this thread.

To learn more about Rogers and online gaming, check out our gaming page at www.rogers.com/gaming

Thank you for your continued feedback and support.

Game on!!

607 REPLIES 607

Re: Rogers Online Gaming Thread

@samhannat wrote:

P.S how do I check my modem has installed the latest firmware update? Does it download it automatically?

@samhannat

The Modem will download the latest firmware when it is first powered on. The current network deployed version is 28T2. This version is actually the best firmware for latency from my testing. 

HeroesEcho
I Plan to Stick Around

How do you update your modem?

I recently changed my modem to the CODA-4582 and my recent connection problems got fixed.

But I want it to keep it up to date.

Thanks

@HeroesEcho the firmware is pushed out from the CMTS to the modems.  That will happen when Rogers releases firmware updates.  Either the roll-out is pushed out from the CMTS over a specified timeframe across the network, or it occurs whenever the firmware update is available and the modem is restarted for any reason.  At that restart, the modem would load the latest available production firmware. 

HeroesEcho
I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink How will I know if there are new updates ready to go?

Should I just reset the modem monthly to have it update by itself?

Thanks

@HeroesEcho wrote:

@Datalink How will I know if there are new updates ready to go?

Should I just reset the modem monthly to have it update by itself?

Thanks

There is no need to worry about firmware updates. When the Modem is first powered on it compares it's firmware version to what's network deployed. If the version is the same it boots up normally, if the version is newer it will download the new firmware then boot up. 

As long as the modem is powered on, when new firmware gets pushed to the modem it will download and install/reboot on it's own, without user intervention. 

So basically just enjoy the services and don't worry about firmware, because the modem will always keep itself up to date. 

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Not trying to disagree, but thats no longer the case for modems that are already up and runing.  Don't know who runs the firmware roll-out, but, the last rollout or two wasn't done by pushing the firmware out across the network on a fixed schedule.  So, it looks like this will be decided on a case by case basis.  It could be a fixed schedule roll-out, or it could be slowly rolled out as modems across the network are rebooted/restarted for any reason.  That takes a lot less effort and monitoring.  

To determine what firmware version you have, log into the modem and look at the Software (firmware) version that is loaded.  You can compare that to the list shown here:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/FEEDBACK-Rogers-Rocket-Wi-Fi-Modem-Firmware-Trial/m-p/...

If you were on the trials list, you would know it, and if that was the case then the modem would be updated to the latest trial firmware when it became available.  That firmware is pushed out to the trial modems.

JohnBeaudin
I'm a Senior Contributor

https://www.linksys.com/us/wrt32x-gaming-router/

The new modem WRT32X by Lynksis claim to reduce ping by 77% and I was wondering if it would really reduce my ping by setting this one in bridge mode with the CODA 4582? any thoughts? 

@JohnBeaudin wrote:

https://www.linksys.com/us/wrt32x-gaming-router/

The new modem WRT32X by Lynksis claim to reduce ping by 77% and I was wondering if it would really reduce my ping by setting this one in bridge mode with the CODA 4582? any thoughts? 

I highly doubt it, DOCSIS in general has high ping. Using bridge mode and a third party router won't lower your ping. That is unless you have LOTS of devices connected and using the network at the same time, then QOS prioritization of your gaming computer *could* make a difference. 

JohnBeaudin
I'm a Senior Contributor

That's what I thought.. I am getting 45-70ms depending on games, I don't really think this router could make a difference, I am on 500/20 package getting over 600 on speedtest all the time, I have enough juice available so I don't think QoS could really have such a huge impact (77% lower ping).

As @gp-se indicated "unless you have LOTS of devices connected and using the network at the same time, then QOS prioritization of your gaming computer *could* make a difference. "

So, depending on your current router, you could see a difference.  That would result from a couple of changes:

1.  The method by which the total data que or buffer is handled;

2.  The QOS classification of the gaming traffic, where that classification sits in relation to everything else and the allowed data rate limits for each classification.  

In the first case, have a look for Fair Queuing Controlled Delay, FQ-Codel.  That is a different method to control the processing of the data que which appears to be a better overall solution to que control and data buffering.  There are numerous places around the web that discuss FQ-Codel.  In the case of Asus routers, specifically Merlin's firmware, , that was implemented in Asuswrt-Merlin 380.67

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/release-asuswrt-merlin-380-67-is-now-available.40191/#post-335866

The current Merlin firmware is 380.68.

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/release-asuswrt-merlin-380-68-is-available.40761/

In the second case, the priority of the various data streams and the min and max data rates can make a considerable difference in the data rate that you see for any one class of data.  Here's a rather interesting thread in the SNB Merlin sub-forum that discusses implementation of a script to change the priorities and data rates for the data classes.  

https://www.snbforums.com/threads/release-freshjr-adaptive-qos-improvements-custom-rules-and-inner-w...

Just to bring this up, the question that needs to be answered is whether or not there is any que control in effect when the modem is in Bridge mode, or, does it become a true first in, first out modem where the router has all of the responsibility of que management and QOS duties.  When the modem is in Gateway mode, everyone is reliant on the modem for QOS and que management, in Bridge mode, that's a rather interesting question?  I'm not assuming anything in this case, and, the only person who can determine that would be @RogersDave.  You can do a lot to improve the que management and QOS in a router, but, if the modem is still doing it own thing, that short circuits any efforts one can make to the router's performance.  Fwiw, the changes to the CODA firmare V2.0.10.27 shown in Dave'e Realtime Response Under Load - Best Effort (RRUL-be) test show a close resemblance to other plots that I've seen with FQ-Codel running.  The plot shown in the link below were done in Gateway mode, and Dave speculated whether or not the results would be the same in Bridge mode, so, this is an interesting question at this point. 

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/CODA-4582-Open-Issues-for-Investigation/m-p/393227#M44...

gfadda
I've Been Here Awhile

Really having issue from day one! I can't keep my NAT settings open? How do I accomplish this task. I have CODA 4582 Hitron Modem.

dallasdinatake
I Plan to Stick Around
Get yourself a router problem fix

gfadda
I've Been Here Awhile
I'm trying to connect online peer to peer to play FIfa. It starts to connect and load and then just drops. solved modem issue. NAT is OPEN. But still no connection?

@gfadda I'm assuming that you have a white CODA-4582 modem.  Please let me know if this is not correct.  On the assumption that you do have a CODA-4582, log into the modem and navigate to the BASIC .... GATEWAY FUNCTION tab.   Set the Router Mode to IPv4 and save the changes.  The modem will revert to IPV4 mode only in about two to three minutes.  I usually just reboot the modem, ADMIN .... DEVICE RESET .... Reboot.

Reboot the console as well so that it only has an IPV4 address available. 

Restart the game and see if this has resolved the issue. 

From what I remember of earlier posts in this thread, server based games are fine with IPV6, Peer to Peer games with IPV6 are not.  Microsoft is apparently looking into the problem.  So, in the mean time, depending on your choice of games, you may have to switch to IPV4 only. 

gfadda
I've Been Here Awhile
It works

gfadda
I've Been Here Awhile
Thanks all good

MallardQuack
I Plan to Stick Around

Upload Issues When Streaming to Twitch

Not sure if there's a way to pin this down, but starting yesterday I haven't been able to run a stream to any of Twitch.tv's ingest servers for more than 60 seconds without watching my bitrate drop to 0 kb/s for a few seconds and dropping frames anywhere from 10 to 40 seconds before returning to normal and then having the issues repeat itself about 30 to 60 seconds later. Things were working all week, this issue only popped up yesterday. The rest of my internet works fine when streaming videos from YouTube or Netflix. 

I have tested streaming to another service (Smashcast) and was experiencing the same issue. I've even dropped the bitrate for the stream as low as 1000 kb/s and still the issue persists. I've tried resetting & power-cycling the modem. I've reinstalled the drivers for my Realtek Ethernet adapter as well as running the Twitch Bandwidth Tester which used to give me consistent results, but will now have varying issues with various servers no matter how many times I run it. 

I did call and speak with Rogers and they noticed the noise in my apartment alone was slightly below normal levels - he said the lowest they'd like to see is 25 and mine is around 24.8, though he said it shouldn't be enough to cause these intermittent issues. Was just wondering if anyone had any ideas or clues to why this would have suddenly started happening.

For reference I streamed on Friday until nearly midnight at 720p 60fps and a bitrate of 5,500 kb/s with no issues. When I tried to start a stream around 3pm on Saturday with the exact same settings, I began dropping frames almost immediately. 

AhmedAskar
I Plan to Stick Around

Same issue here, I've swapped 2 routers in the past day cause I thought it was from my end, bitrate drops to 0 for couple seconds and goes back to normal and then repeats itself again.

MallardQuack
I Plan to Stick Around

It first happened to me on August 17 right after I swapped to the white CODA modem. It went away on August 30 but has now come back worse than before. Every 30 seconds like clockwork my bit rate drops to 0. As much as it sucks, it's reassuring to hear I'm not the only one affected.

AhmedAskar
I Plan to Stick Around

Mine started after I switched to the new router which was 2 days ago, seems like it's an issue with the new router.

Need this fixed ASAP!

Mythen
I Plan to Stick Around
I have been experiencing this upload to twitch issue all summer actually. We have run the twitch test tool and tried all the Canadian servers and all the ones on the east coast. Including the Chicago server. Sane result. Tried everything from 6000 to 2500 and same issue. Upload randomly drops to zero. Haven't tried streaming since we got the new coda firmware .32 this morning. But I don't expect it to be any different. @RogersDave @RogersKevin time to get this fixed. It's been going on for to long now. What ever I can do to assist please let me know

Mythen