Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers Online Gaming Thread

RogersMargaret
Community Manager (Retired)
Community Manager (Retired)

Hi Community,

Welcome to the official Rogers Online Gaming Feedback thread! We will use this thread as a central point to discuss anything related to your online gaming experience on the Rogers network.  Our @CommunityHelps team will be here to help as usual.

We also recommend all of our gamers to sign up for the Rogers WiFi Modem Firmware Trial. Feedback from the Community has resulted in great improvements to the overall internet experience, specifically with regards to ping and latency on the Rogers network. For details of this program, please see this thread.

To learn more about Rogers and online gaming, check out our gaming page at www.rogers.com/gaming

Thank you for your continued feedback and support.

Game on!!

607 REPLIES 607

Re: Rogers Online Gaming Thread

HeroesEcho
I Plan to Stick Around

Upstream Overview
Port ID Frequency (MHz) BandWidth Modulation Type Signal Strength (dBmV) Channel ID
1 23700000 6400000 ATDMA 42.250 2
2 38596000 3200000 ATDMA 43.500 3
3 30596000 6400000 ATDMA 42.250 1

Ok, not too bad.  The normal range for a 24 channel downstream modem is 36 to 40 dBmV on the Rogers Network.  So, yours are slightly elevated at this point, but far from being a problem.  But, since you did a reboot, I expect those cable signals to move from where they are now.  How far they might move and how fast will indicate how bad the cable and/or connector issue might be.  There is also the possibility that the overhead cable from a utility pole has weathered and cracked, or that the underground cable has water in the cable.  They don't last forever and sometimes need replacing.  Its not possible to see that from the current levels and its possible to have very fast transient conditions that the Downstream and Upstream tables can't show.  So, that is something to keep in mind.  If you are seeing fast dropouts and return to service, call tech support and report it.  Put tech support on speed dial and don't hesitate to use it.  That will built a service record pretty fast and you should see a tech at your door fairly soon. 

HeroesEcho
I Plan to Stick Around

@Datalink

What should I do about this? 

Shouldn't Rogers themselves be able to find these problems that you have stated? 

I don't have the time to call them and report this... I rather find someone else for service.

If Rogers ran continuous network scans they would probably pick up on issues of low downstream and high upstream power levels.  I don't know if they or any other ISP actually do this.  That's actually a good question.  The problem is, if you go with a TPIA, the TPIA use the same network, which will have the same issues, and, getting service for the problem becomes much harder.  That's due to the hoops and loops that the major ISPs put the TPIAs thru when it comes to service issues.  If you happen to find a TPIA that uses fibre, and you're in a position to switch to them, then you might want to consider that.  There is also DSL which provides lower latency, but with limits throughput speeds.    Sometimes it takes perseverance to get some issues resolved.  If the item in question actually broke, it would be much easier to find it and fix it.  Until then, its an intermittent issue which is a complete pain unfortunately.  

There is one way to document this and that is to run Pingplotter to monitor the modem to CMTS path, looking for packet loss and times where that becomes a problem.  Armed with better knowledge of when this occurs, it would be easier to get tech support involved.  Here's a post that I wrote some time ago to do just that:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Intermittent-disconnects/m-p/364602#M35528

It is connected with a ethernet wire , was working fine for a day with UPNP off and no port forwarding , but that all went downhill now.

Is this an ethernet connection from modem to PS3, single cable, or does this run thru any house wiring or switches, enroute from the modem to the PS3? 

Are you running any games on a pc for example which would also have certain required ports?  I'm just thinking that there is a limit in the modem of how many rules you can have set for port forwarding.  I believe that limit is 9 rules at the present time.  That would cause issues if you wanted to be able to use the PC or PS3 at any given time, and would cause issues for UPNP management of the ports.  I don't believe the UPNP cleans up after itself when you shut down a console, not just a PS3. 

CODA-4582 and Xbox One Lag

Hi Everyone

Just recently switched from Bell 50/10 to Rogers 150u internet plan which got me the CODA-4582. (Software Version 2.0.10.28T2)

Everything seems to be in full working order, with the exception of my online experience on my Xbox One. I'm constantly experiencing random lag and can't seem to figure out why. 

First issue was the classic "NAT: Moderate" warning in the network settings page - this was resolved by DMZ'ing the xbox. 

But now my NAT says Open, yet im still fighting with Lag. 

I did not experience any lag while with Bell and my NAT always said Open

Any thoughts? Any other recommended troubleshooting steps? 

Why would you go from bell to Rogers especially if your gaming ? Bell is the way to go. All of my friends who are on bell just 1 block from me always experience better online gaming then us who are on rogers

I wonder why that is? Is it an issue with the network or something?

I had other issues with Bell and FibeTV that prompted my switch to Rogers. But this is my first time ever without Bell internet, so what do i know. 

@Tyrwak1592 wrote:

I wonder why that is? Is it an issue with the network or something?

I had other issues with Bell and FibeTV that prompted my switch to Rogers. But this is my first time ever without Bell internet, so what do i know. 

DOCSIS isn't the greatest for latency, Fibre is much better in that regard. However DOCSIS 3.1 Upload is coming out soon, and it should help with latency. 

Any idea on when? Anything i'd need to do on my end to support it?

lupinglade
I Plan to Stick Around

Sure hope DOCSIS 3.1 up will help reduce ping spikes/lag/packet loss. Its awful currently.

RyzenFX
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@Tyrwak1592 wrote:

@Tyrwak1592 All you need is a CODA-4582  (which you already have) which has already has full support for docsis 3.1 upload, but we will have to wait for it to be released. 

Now, you said that you are experiencing random lag on your xbox. Is your xbox one connected to the modem over WiFi and which WiFi band is it connected to (2.4G or 5G?).

JohnBeaudin
I'm a Senior Contributor

It would be so nice to get an ETA for DOCIS 3.1 UPLOAD, last update was the rollout would start during Summer, but I believe it's not happening yet, so maybe this FALL? or next year? Would be nice to have an update.

@RyzenFX wrote:

@Tyrwak1592 wrote:

@Tyrwak1592 All you need is a CODA-4582  (which you already have) which has already has full support for docsis 3.1 upload, but we will have to wait for it to be released. 

Now, you said that you are experiencing random lag on your xbox. Is your xbox one connected to the modem over WiFi and which WiFi band is it connected to (2.4G or 5G?).

Thank you @RyzenFX

I haven't had an opportunity to test ethernet for an extended period of time, but i have been on 5GHz only. Xbox and the CODA are ~3 feet from each other as well.

Going to hardwire today and hopefully get some time to test

RyzenFX

Definitely let us know if you are still experiencing the same lag when you are testing on hardwire. Smiley Happy

@RyzenFX wrote:

Definitely let us know if you are still experiencing the same lag when you are testing on hardwire. Smiley Happy

Alright, i got too excited so i had to put work aside to test. 
The last 60 minutes i've experienced no lag, which is fantastic. 

Obviously a hardwired connection is going to perform better than wifi, but man 5GHz and 3ft distance is pretty ideal conditions for a wifi connection, so im surprised i experienced lag that way. 

Not sure i'll be able to leave this Ethernet cord long my floors permanently either 🙂 

Would DOCSIS 3.1 bring enough connection improvements that i can use wifi again, or is there just poor performance with the CODA and wifi?

RyzenFX

Based off your testing it sounds like the last is only present when you are using 5G. Sounds like you're enjoying being on hardwire so I'd keep it that way Smiley Happy

Yea and when is that supposed to be avail ?

@Tyrwak1592 wrote:

@RyzenFX wrote:

Alright, i got too excited so i had to put work aside to test. 
The last 60 minutes i've experienced no lag, which is fantastic. 

Obviously a hardwired connection is going to perform better than wifi, but man 5GHz and 3ft distance is pretty ideal conditions for a wifi connection, so im surprised i experienced lag that way. 

Not sure i'll be able to leave this Ethernet cord long my floors permanently either 🙂 

Would DOCSIS 3.1 bring enough connection improvements that i can use wifi again, or is there just poor performance with the CODA and wifi?

WiFi will never touch a hardwired connection. You can go out and buy the best top of line $800 Router/Access Point and it still wouldn't match a hardwired connection. For gaming you always want to use a hardwired connection, that will give you the lowest latency.

WiFi has overhead that will add latency, even if you are only 3 feet away. Also the more devices connected to WiFi the slower it will be, because every device transmits one at a time, other devices must wait their turn to transmit.

samhannat
I've Been Around

So I moved places and into an apartment. I came from using Bell to Rogers because Bell didn't offer anything higher than 100mbs for my place.

So I switched to Rogers and I am disappointed in the gaming experience and the wifi connection is very very poor.

First thing first was the xbox was lagging randomly, even tho I was in this supposed free gigabit speed until January program, especially in EA games like NHL 17 and Battlefield. Apparently I am not the only one.

I checked the NAT, and I see its moderate, at Bell it was always Open, wifi or not. I did some port forwarding and that made things worse, I went from having 40-60ms ping in Rocket League with the odd lag to 120ms ping and yellow bar connection with constant lag.

I really don't understand how the modem is literally 3 feet away in another room can have a crappier connection in a supposed 1GIG connection, than the Bell modem all the way in the basement at my old place and I am in the 2nd floor running wifi having a superior connection.

I read the last page, and yeah hardwired is the way to go but that is currently not an option for me, unless Rogers can waive the installation fee and install the modem in my 2nd bedroom instead of the living room, where the modem is currently located.

Overall not impressed with Rogers gaming services compared to their big competitor, you would think they would address this seeing how popular this medium has gbecome the last 5 years. Hopefully the DOCSIS 3.1 or whatever that update is can help this issue, otherwise I am only here at this apartment for a year then moving, if the service doesn't improve then I'll be looking back to Bell for internet gaming needs.

P.S how do I check my modem has installed the latest firmware update? Does it download it automatically?