Rogers On Demand Menu not Appearing

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

Rogers On Demand Menu not Appearing

This is an issue I've had with both ROD (Channel 100) and TMNOD (Channel 309)

I am in Ottawa.

Occasionally (though more often than not) when I access ROD or TMNOD (at the above-noted channels) I run into problems.

What is supposed to happen/What happens when it works:

I access the channel, wait for it to load and hit the "A" button or the "Select/OK" button on the remote. A little grey box appears reading "loading...please wait", with the divided circle beside it. After a few seconds the menu appears and I am on my way to watching some glorious on demand programming.

What happens often enough to cause me to post this/When it, too often, doesn't work:

I access the channel, wait for it to load and hit the "A" button or the "Select/OK" button on the remote. No grey box appears, no message reading "loading...please wait" and no divided circle icon. After a few seconds the menu appears without any text. That is, the background to the menu, as well as the preview box are there but there is no text in the menus. Without the actual menu up I cannot browse through ROD or TMNOD. (if I know the key sequence, i.e. TV Shows is 2nd on the list, and Global is 1st on the subsequent list, etc... I can still view the program, but unless I know the sequence I wouldn't be able to browse to it.) Generally to resolve this I need to reboot my box which takes between 5-10 minutes. This doesn't always work and I try again.

This issue happens more often than when it works the first time. This is a huge annoyance in that everytime I want to watch something on demand I now need to build in an extra 20 minutes in case I need to reboot...or reboot twice.

Please help since I'd rather always have the scenario described under "What is supposed to happen/What Happens when it works".

***Edited labels***

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Rogers On Demand Menu not Appearing

I wish you luck in getting this resolved.  I have had a similar problem for a month now, although even worse, as I can't get programming even if I know the sequence of menus, and Rogers seems incapable of fixing the issue.  I'm afraid you will have to do as I have done, call Rogers tech dept every day, have multiple service techs visit, call every day again because the service techs haven't solved the problem, have multiple tickets opened on the problem, be told by Rogers repeatedly (through automated calls) that the problem is solved, call back repeatedly to say that no, it is not solved...  I hope you have better luck than I have had.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

Sadly Rogers On Demand is not yet ready for prime time. Netflix is here to compete so rogers lowers the bandwidth allotments in order to block the competition instead of actually fixing ROD and making it a legitimate competitor.

Issues like these will continue on ROD until they update the software.. Until such time we will have to live with crashes and horrible user experience or pay for the overages of using netflix.
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I have the same problem on my HD box and I keep having to unplug it and reset it to get it to work.The weird thing is I also have an old Digital box (non HD) and I never have problems with that one.
Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

Coda, do you have one of the new 8642 model HDPVRs?  We had a problem with more than one of this model "freezing" all of our channels, and the only way to get the channels back was re-booting.  The tech who finally figured this out recommended switching back to the 8300 model, and the problem hasn't recurred.  He thinks there is a software issue with the 8642.  (But now, of course, we are having different issues, and don't know yet if it is the 8300 box or something else.  Sigh.)

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I have an old Explorer 3250HD box. I'm thinking its time to exchange to a newer model.
Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

@Chris

That has absolutely nothing to do with the post at all.

However, if Rogers basic internet doesn't provide enough bandwith I suggest you try using a different ISP; try Acanac or TekkSavvy.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Advisor

@AJ Sorry I was just stating that ROD is not yet ready for primetime and was stating my dissatisfaction with the service. I often run into the same issues as you described above and feel it is an unacceptable implementation of the service.

Highlighted
I'm a Senior Contributor

Hey AJ,

I am not a cable expert myself. However, I have had a very similar problem with the cable boxes. For several months ROD was not working for me (although in fairness, I never called in about it).

In the end, all I had to do was swap out my box at a local store and and its worked without a hitch ever since.

Have you tried this yet or any other troubleshooting? Have you called our technical services yet or is this your first form of communication about this issue?
Highlighted
I've Been Around

I'm surprised there aren't more posts here. I'm just getting started so maybe there are different topics covering similar issues.  When we moved in July I decided to 'go digital' and bought a new TV and digital box. Had a good experience hooking everything up (did it myself) and a good experience calling Rogers to activate. Things have gone downhill since then. Cable and HD channels came in OK but ROD did not "LOAD". Techs came out and decided to run a new cable to the house. After three weeks waiting and a new cable buried - still no ROD. The next tech swapped out the brand new (may have been refurbished) box I bought at Sears and we were able to watch ROD programming. At this point my wife had pretty much given up and would leave the room everytime I went to try Channel 100.

We had just started getting used to watching missed TV shows and decided to watch a movie on a Saturday night when ROD would not load. I made a call to Rogers and was told that this happens all the time during peak periods?? However now every time (no matter what day of the week) I go to ROD its a crapshoot. If I'd have know this service was so terrible I would have mounted the power bar beside the TV rather than behind it.

Is there a solution ...