Rogers Nokia N8 Belle update?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Rogers Nokia N8 Belle update?

When did that Belle Demo come out?  We get to see the demo and NEVER use it it seems. 

Rogers should stop messing around with programming and software and let the original companies do the work for us.  It is obvious they are incompentent at software development.  (Rogers Myportal being the perfect example).

I'm Here A Lot

Hi,

That's great advice about flashing the phone.  The only thing I would point out is that most N8s are out of warranty anyway, we've all had them so long!

I flashed my N8 back in March (as soon as it was out of warranty) to Belle.  However, I noticed the picture quality of the camera really suffered.  Since the camera was the main reason I chose this phone, it wasn't something I was willing to compromise on and flashed back to Anna.

Does anyone know if the picture quality issue (which is quite well known and discussed on other boards) has been resolved?

Can this flash go from Anne to the Refresh, or would you have to go Anna/Belle/Refresh?

I don't want to go through the hassle of flashing back and forth again!

I Plan to Stick Around

I am no means an expert, but given that flashing entirely replaces the phone's firmware, I'd say you can download the whole Belle Refresh (~3.5GB) and go from Anna --> Belle Refresh. Last ecember I  was at Anna and flashed to the generic N. American Belle without difficulties, but never found a way to go back, even using the recommend "Scandinavian Debug" firmware (a Phoenix/bootloader issue, I believe). I still think the camera performs differently in the original Belle, but I haven't tested the Refresh version yet.

Just to horrify the sensitive mods on this forum even further, here's the installer name for the Phoenix without any traces of malware that I used: PSS+2012.04.003.47798.exe

and the file's details are:

# MD5 checksums generated by MD5summer (http://www.md5summer.org)
# Generated 8/29/2012 8:19:09 PM

89ac715a884747ae68146fb7f1b9e65a *PSS 2012.04.003.47798.exe

112,898,353 bytes

and read all the caveats about doing this process elsewhere on the 'Net!

I'm Here A Lot

i tried to change product code but didnt work instead what happen is i flash it to nokia belle it works fine with me it is about 20mins i guess to flash it. and belle refresh i just check the software update OTA it works fine! if u have belle already and go to  belle refresh its less 13MB. 

I'm Here A Lot

before doing a flash do a back up files incase of problem Smiley Happy
I Plan to Stick Around

The only reson I needed to flash, rather than an OTA update, was that a standard device wipe and restore (from the phone's management menu) had not restored a certain number of bundled Symbian applications (e.g. the photo editor--why is that not in the firmware?), so an entire new image was necessary.

I did try the OTA update after the restore, which worked *very* smoothly and which is *much* preferred, but the missing applications did not reappear.

I Plan to Stick Around

Just to pour salt on a wound!

"Lumia 900 SW update for Rogers Canada is available NOW."

Shouldn't there be a process where when a carrier STOPS SUPPORTING a phone that they allow the manufacturer to supply much wanted and much needed updates directly?