Rogers Nokia N8 Belle update?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Rogers Nokia N8 Belle update?

Hi there,

Did the same thing and got anna. I do advise to use a north american firmware. Navifirm (External server) has few of them, the one i used is for PC 059D111. It woks very fine and the phone is faster, with no issue, except for some apps that i had before with anna, that are not working on belle, but this is not a big issue for me. The only thing i dont like about belle is the widgets size on the home screen.

over all i like belle and i think it is a really huge improvement to anna. Setting options are easier, the phone is faster and creating forlders and moving them to other screens is very easy.

will follow up later and hope that everyone of you guys post their comments.

I Plan to Stick Around

Well, I took the plunge on Sunday to try and downgrade from Belle to Anna via the Scandinavia DG firmware, and following very carefully the procedures outlined in various places.

No dice: the device remained bricked, no matter how i tried restarting it, until I reflashed (using the "Dead USB" option) with the N.American generic Belle release I had used in the original upgrade.

That situation does not surprise me: I'm sure there is a way to do a downgrade correctly with detailed knowledge about the service software and Nokia firmware, something I don't possess. (I speculate that recent versions of the service software don't reinstall the bootloader(s) that the earliest versions of the N8-00 firmware expect.)

In any case, I'm becoming more familiar with ins and the outs of the Belle "update"--it's really an entirely different version of Symbian, and I have to give it more time, I did not expect such significant changes.

Also, anyone thinking of flashing Belle and upgrading on their own: think carefully, make sure you know what you are getting into, you can't go home again! And there is always the chance that you'll brick your phone irrecoverably...

I Plan to Stick Around

this is unreal!! not even one word from Rogers regarding this post.

bad publicity.

I'm a Trusted Advisor

If you read the posts on page 6 or 7 you will see why Rogers has not said anything. Nokia was the one not to send it because either Rogers said no OR Nokia said no. It all depends on which on Said no. I would suggest you & others read the posts before saying something. ( Not being rude).
I'm Here A Lot

As far as the X7, it looks like a Belle update may not be possible at all.

I read some stuff on a Nokia forum (can't remember if it was US, EU or CA!) The Rogers X7 product type is different, so the Belle update released for the X7 is not compatible.

I Plan to Stick Around

Belle 111.XX is available on the X7-00 (RM-707) NOT... the X7-00.1 (RM 659). ( i just checked on navifirm).

If Rogers is the standard X7-00 like everywhere else then you can flash it to Belle if you so choose to download the firmware and flash it yourself. product id or whatever has no bearing whatsoever unless you are talking about something fundamentally different in HW (like that x7-00.1 variant). I don't have a X7 ... so you should check your device specs carefully before embarking on anything. Thankfully mine (the N8) has only 1 type/spec/whatever-you-call-it throughout the world (RM 596).

Don't be expecting Rogers to give us Belle (yes.. its rogers fault; there is already fully release & qualified generic north american, euro firmware for our phones) unless Rogers can load it's own bloatware/junk. The instructions on flashing are on the other thread or if you do an online search/youtube etc... there's a whole bunch of guides.

I'm Here A Lot

The Roger's X7 has different bands for HSDPA - I believe it's missing 1700, but not sure.

I've Been Here Awhile

Another vote for Belle!

I need my N8 to respond like a phone should, not lag and chug along, eating battery power on background services.

The N8 was supposed to have a great battery life and be fast.  It has to be sturdy enough to process 12MP images and edit video, but the firmware - even with Anna is the weak link.

I'm glad the 808 ClearView has a beefy processor and Belle but I can't wait for my phone to wear out so I can justify getting a replacement.  This N8 is going to be the phone for me for a few years yet and I just want it to not freeze and not respond.

Belle is a great OS - Rogers should be leaping to get onboard to flesh out their product offering with more great options across the board.. 

I Plan to Stick Around

I would recommend you install an app like 'appstop' or something similar else to kill all the background hidden processes ! seriously .. why does maps & vlingo etc etc .. need to be running in the background upon startup ? there's a good 6-8 processes/background running apps you can kill ... my n8 can go 2-3 days without charge when not in heavy voice or data use.

I've Been Around

on the belle website (http://europe.nokia.com/find-products/nokia-belle-update/nokia-belle-update-availability) it seems that canadian belle is arrived but not Rogers one. I think we will wait for long month before update!!!