Rogers Nokia N8 Belle update?

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I've Been Here Awhile

Re: Rogers Nokia N8 Belle update?

Hi guys,

After that other bad new, can anyone who did the flashing of belle, help plz Smiley Tongue

I've Been Here Awhile

I need same info as Dal_tintin, same product code, I need to be more carefull this time,  Anna ubgrade did not go well, and took weeks to sort out. SO if anybody knows how to do this properly in clear instruction please pass info along.

I'm Here A Lot

I always hated the people who said I flashed my phone and I love Belle!!!!!

But...........

I flashed my phone last weekend and love it.

PM me for details

I Plan to Stick Around

if you click on this link, http://europe.nokia.com/find-products/nokia-belle-update/nokia-belle-update-availability, and select Canada, it will show the list of carriers, which includes Rogers, and it does say that SYMBIAN BELLE will not be released, which is sad...but on the other hand...if you click on this link,

http://discussions.nokiausa.com/t5/Nseries-and-Symbian-Smartphones/Belle-A-big-step-backwards/td-p/1... , it is a thread that talks about all the pitfalls of SYMBIAN BELLE....i know that several or more peeps have already installed BELLE one way or another, and the experience varies, and i respect that...and now that i am sure that i will never get the BELLE update...i am still happy that i have ANNA, and the mighty N8.

Highlighted
I Plan to Stick Around

I've flashed to a leaked Bell (.609) a few months back, but has been back on official Anna a few weeks after using it.  If you have already been accustomed to how things work with Anna/S^3, it is a big change to Belle.  At the time when I was with Belle, a lot of apps were not updated to work with Belle, hence I would advise you to wait a little longer before you jump onto Belle (y'all already waited this long right?).  I did not notice any battery hit when using Belle, about the same hours compared to Anna.  I did not use all 6 home screen though.  If you only fill them with shortcuts and not widgets, I can not foresee why it would drive down battery life.  Multi tasking still works, just hold down the menu button to get into the "task manager", same as always.

I would personally wait till the next minor update for Belle before flashing, which at my best guess, in about a few months from now.  It is super easy to flash the N8, no bootloader to unlock, no crazy rooting through ADB.  Just google up how to flash a N8, and you'll do fine.  Probably the easiest OS to flash, when I first got into flashing symbian, I can not believe how easy it was.

But I would advise only to flash if you really, really, really can't stand Anna, for flashing WILL VOID YOUR WARRANTY.  I am not endorsing you to flash, or be responsible if you brick your phone in the process.

I've Been Around

i have the Nokia X7 from Rogers, and sadly for me, there are no Belle updates at all for this model. So can i flash Belle from another device to my X7? 

whats the reason why Rogers wont let us update? the rest of the world can update why not canada? 

is this a rogers issue or nokia issue?

I Plan to Stick Around

No you can not flash another phone's firmware...it just does not work that way.  But I believe Belle has been released for the X7, check Navi. for the firmware if you would like to try out Belle.

Read the last few pages of this thread.  Non of the Canadian carrier's Nokia device will be updated to Belle.  Only unbranded ones will receive the update.

I Plan to Stick Around

What are the differences between generic & Rogers firmware? (Besides extra applications/graphics.)

Can someone list the features in the generic North American N8 "Anna" firmware (e.g. product code nam_white 0599222) that Rogers disabled/changed in its own version of the Anna firmware (product code 059D391)? E.g. has the built-in firmware Nokia SIP/VoIP client been disabled?

Is there anything hardcoded, i.e. settings that cannot be altered? Have any hardware fetures been disabled via firmware? The official Nokia N8-00 specifications page is at http://www.developer.nokia.com/Devices/Device_specifications/N8-00/ 

Using the settings-->installations menu, can most of the extra Rogers applications be uninstalled? (I'm not particularly concerned about the extra Rogers graphics.)

I Plan to Stick Around

product code doesn't matter but if you wanna know my N8 is (059D391) - the rogers branded one. I unlocked it. (sim restriction off). Just buy a code online for about 8-10$. (maybe you can do without this ??)

in navifirm; belle is: 111.30.609. I've been using the package :-  0598986: euro1_wh_uk_ireland.

This series has worked fine whether it was flashing earlier with Anna or now with Belle. I'm not sure what's different with the NAM_XX releases but I figure since the europeans get it earlier and seems to work well - I'll just trust their judgement and why mess with a good thing.

Just delete the english maps and install the canadian/US maps. that is all !

product code etc etc.. really doesn't matter !!!! it is rogers holding up the update as all the others before (we never got PR1.2, late late late anna, and belle ??) why wouldn't a nokia update work on a nokia phone ? lazy canadian carriers it is... they don't wan to pass it thru unless they can load their bloatware/junk.

I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for the answer. I unlocked my pre-Anna N8 just as soon as I bought it 2nd-hand, as I was not going to sign on to a Rogers service plan. I then flashed it with the generic N.A. Anna firmware (025.008), since Rogers had not yet released their own Anna variant. Worked very nicely.

The handset still reports the Rogers product code, you can't change that (well, I suppose you could if you had the right Nokia equipment to program that part of the device's memory--but then, as they say in the B movies, "we would have to kill you.")  This is the product code used via the over-the-air, Nokia Suite, etc., updaters, so that if there are any updates/service-packs tied to the original product code, e.g. the Belle update, then you won't get them--even if you've flashed your device with another product code firmware that does have updates.

A week ago I flashed it to the Belle nam_white firmware--too impressed with how it looked in various articles and Youtube videos--and I find the new version a very mixed bag: much more responsive user interface, a lot of graphics pizazz, but things like the swipe-down status/notification/control panel really don't replace the more compact clock and notification widget. If fact, all the widgets are too large now.

So I'm beginning to think I will revert to Anna, but I'm giving Belle the benefit of more time, since this"update" has really been a substantial change to the whole Symbian environment.

I'm leery of flashing with a European version. While the hardware is exactly the same, there may be some differences in how the baseband radios are calibrated, and other deep stuff: I mean of course 3G/GSM is a standard, but there is always some wiggle room on how it is implemented nationally/regionally--that's the nature of "standards".

But I still want to find out from other people if there are functional limitations in the Rogers variant of "Anna", compared to the generic firmware, and whether the Rogers bloatware can be removed using the usual device procedures.