Rogers Network Downtime Unacceptable

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Rogers Network Downtime Unacceptable

Rogers,

I hope you read this, and the ONLY reason I'm posting here is because even your customer service team is useless. I actually had a drop call DURING the call to rogers and speaking with a rep and he didn't even call me back. Needless to say I'm not going waste another 30 minutes JUST to talk to another useless rep.

I pay almost 90 dollars a month in service charges for your USELESS service. Every week or so, there would be ONE day where your 3G service completely craps out on you and does not work. You call this RELIABLE?

If anyone feels the same, feel free to post on here, let's document how UNRELIABLE the service is.

If anyone from rogers reads this and have a reasonable explanation for these outages, please do so!

***edited labels***

Retired Moderator RogersJean
Retired Moderator

Re: Rogers Network Downtime Unacceptable

Hi victorm,

To better assist you we will need more information. Where are you located, which model device do you have?

When your device drops calls, what do you see instead of signal bars? Do you get any error messages?

Does this happen in specific locations or everywhere?

The more information you can provide the quicker we can find a resolution.

I'm Here A Lot

Hi Jean,

I'm located in Vancouver/Richmond. I have an iPhone 4. When my device drop calls, the bars simply disappears with no Rogers logo. When the data network stops working, I still get full bars with Rogers but no 3G logo. I also get "Cannot Activate Cellular Data". Oddly enough, if I swtich my phone to EDGE it will work during those 3G "outages".

Honestly, Jean, I'd be frank with you, if you simply go on Twitter, and search "Rogers 3G" and you'll notice how many of your customers are suffering!  

I also want to let you know that initially I thought it was apple devices, I've already been to the apple store and have had my iPhone 4 exchanged 3 times now. I HIGHLY doubt that its because of a defective device.

Thanks!

Highlighted
I've Been Here Awhile

I'll chime in here too, since I've been having the same issues for quite a while now, and it has become very noticable in the last few days. I figure the more the merrier.

iPhone 4 in Edmonton, AB. When a call drops, it may be as strange as just "Call Failed" randomly in the middle of the call, despite possibly having 3-5 bars. However, on other occasions I may lose reception completely, where the top left says "Searching..." or goes down to one bar and there is no logo (the circle, E, or 3G) beside ROGERS. In terms of error messages, at times there might be a pop up saying "Unable to active cellular data network", otherwise there are no error messages. This mainly occurs in downtown Edmonton, and further into the south of the city as well... but to be honest, I've noticed it all over the city.

There are some other interesting things to note as well:

- in the last few days, if I keep 3G enabled, my phone will completely lose signal and go back to "Searching...".

- If I turn off 3G, but keep Cellular Data enabled, at first I would lose signal, but recently I am able to place calls and use the EDGE network to check email, etc.

- If I restart my phone with 3G enabled, I am able to regain reception, but that leads to more dropped calls and eventually "Searching..."

- if I disable both 3G and Cellular Data, I get full network reception and can place and receive calls without problem. However, my Visual Voicemail does not work (presumably because it uses data).

- Currently, I have 3G disabled, thus on the EDGE network, and right now calls and texts work without issue. The second I reenable 3G, all these problems occur again.

I must admit, I've been with Rogers for years and years now, including an iPhone since 2008, and I've never had these issues. Ever since the launch of the iPhone 4, these issues have come up, and have been recurring since September. I've praised Rogers endlessly to my family, friends, and peers, including bringing over my family and girlfriend to Rogers from other networks, but now I look like the fool. As much as I have a loyalty and would love to stay with Rogers, these persistent problems have definitely made switching to another network cross my mind. Hopefully this is resolved before it comes to that. At the very least, some form of a monthly credit for the large amount of money I paid for lost usage of data seems like it would be in order.

Looking forwads to any news regarding this issue.

I Plan to Stick Around

I agree.  The network is terrible.  I think the amount of smartphones they've sold are simply overwhelming the network.  They are not upgrading it fast enough.  I'm on my second SIM card and second iphone 4.  It's not the phone!  

During peak hours, the network is simply useless.  I can barely get any throughput at all.  I've called tech support probably 30 times and all they do is document the problem and nothing gets resolved.  Stop blaming the devices and upgrade your network.  I think Rogers is experiencing what AT&T has experienced.  Too many data-intensive phones and not enough network capacity.

Retired Moderator RogersJean
Retired Moderator

Thanks for the replys and details.

It sounds like all the bases have been covered in regards to the device itself. Providing you did perform a reset and restore and have the above symptoms, that last option we have is to have this escalated.

I am not aware of any overcapacity issues, but wether that or some sort of 3G network issue is the cause, I highly recommend you escalate this. The above specific examples are exactly the sort of details we need when looking into issues like this as well as locations where they occur. The more examples we have the quicker we can get a resolution.

Calling in to 1866-931-3282 and escalating network issues with technical support to have us investigate will accomplish 2 important things:

- Have the issue escalated to higher Tiers to have it investigated internally and locally

- Document the account of any loss of service if you feel you have been unjustly billed

To my knowledge we also doing extensive upgrades and expansions in the Edmonton and surrounding areas.

If you get any updates do not hesitate to let us know.

I Plan to Stick Around

I am so happy to see this post, I have the EXACT same problem with my new iPhone 4.

Simply talking on the phone and then the call drops, next signal drops to zero, then goes in to searching for network mode until I do a hard reset.  Spoke to Rogers and they tell me I will need a new sim card and a reburbished phone.

There must be something more to this, I am back to my old Nokia 5800 which is rock solid on the same network.

I rarely get over 4 bars of signal strength on my iPhone 4 with a case.

I'm Here A Lot

Rogers,

This is INTERESTING, if you know and YOU work for rogers, why do I (the customer) have to escalate this? What is stopping you from escalating this? Last time I checked, I am a customer with rogers, I don't WORK FOR ROGERS!

I expect an answer from Rogers within the this week. An aswer that is actually resolving customers. Otherwise if I'm going to escalate it, it will be to public media and not within Rogers so that I have to jump through hoops and fires JUST to get ONE simple complain across.

You have my login, I am SURE you can easily trace which accounts I'm holding within rogers. ROGERS can call me, i'm done calling the stupid 611 line.

Thanks!

I've Been Here Awhile

Until now, I never really had any issues with Rogers 3G network. I acquired my iPhone 4 day after launch, on August 1. Within the last 7 days, I have experienced weird network glitches, almost like the network is rebooting, or is turned off for certain periods of time. I know for a fact that my condo is within 300 metres of a Rogers Cell tower (what signal it broadcasts, I have no idea, but it is clearly signed as "Rogers Wireless".

I have enclosed links to multiple screen shots, taken recently (within the last 30 minutes of this posting), to show the different statuses my phone goes through.

Does Rogers do maintenance and turn off its network? if so, is there a place we can check on when these outages are occurring? What are the most common causes for outages? What kind of outtages affect only 3G service? Total signal loss? does Rogers have a "network status" page we can check the status of their wireless network? so we can see if the outage is known to them or not? or where they post advisories of planned outages?

My details relevant to this topic are below:

Phone: Apple iPhone 4, 32 GB

Area: Mississauga, near Square One (Mavis & Dundas)

When your device drops calls, what do you see instead of signal bars? Do you get any error messages?:" -_____" or "No Signal" or "Searching..." or "No Service 3G"

Links to screen shots:

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/xenons3/IMG_0007.png

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v492/xenons3/IMG_0008-1.png

I Plan to Stick Around

ilawcdn, I see you're on carrier settings 9.0, while I'm still on 8.0.  I thought they might be glitches in these settings, but sounds like you're still having problems.  Maybe 9.0 is worse!