cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers Modem NAT problems / gaming ?

oparlaoz
I'm Here A Lot

Dear Rogers Community Members,

I have tried many modem option with different speed upgrades to eliminate my ongoing issues with Rogers Internet connection lags during playing games. As far as i know Rogers  well known for LAGS in gaming.  I dont believe the equipment Rogers using is  supported for GAMING. Two reason listed below :

1) Strict/Modarate NAT issues that CGN2,3 cannot know how to deal with

2) Package lost / unreliable connection down time

My Concerns and question as a customer :

e

I have called 4 techician/ticket in last 9 months. Their knowledge are very limited. They dont know what NAT is or how does effect the communication between device vs modem. All 4 techinician just change the cable and said your "SIGNAL Level too high" changed the adapter. Nothing worked! i have explained to them this is related to your "eqipment" / network restrictions. They said you have to figure out on your own.

1) why would i go this trouble as a customer to do MANUAL setup for port forwarding ? Nat settings all.

2) Why USA ISP's doesnt have this issues ? or the person connect from europe ?

3) Why are your selling "furbished" "fullish" products to customer ?

4) Why dont you train your staff so they could understand how to resolve or create a solution for any of these issues via phone or in person.  Changing cables , creating tickets useless when you all know where the main problem is.

I am truely tired last 7 years using rogers , each time similiar issues. Gaming is number 1 issue because of NAT - modarate or strict. Also the gateway products they intro as a modem are not capble of reading or distributing proper network signal. 

If i have to rate rogers on a scale 1-10 , 1 being the worse. I would rate "0". Thats how much I hate to deal with Rogers. 

***Edited Labels***

72 REPLIES 72

Re: Rogers Modem NAT problems / gaming ?

kozhitnrun
I Plan to Stick Around

also I talked to customer care/retention and the best they can do is 25bucks off.....really ..like 3 days of lost wages and 3 games not test i.e 25 bucks an hour for testing and like the lost stream is unmountable as it dependent on donation.

@ kozhitnrun why not go to the Rogers store today and swap your modem for the new CODA 4582 Modem, since you game it will make a nice difference in latency. Also that way when the Rogers Tech comes you'll already have the new modem and he can do testing with that setup. DOCSIS 3.1 is the future, and it's where Rogers will be spending the resources on fine tuning for optimal performance. Also if your area is DOCSIS 3.1 enabled then those weak SNR ratios you currently have wont matter since those are DOCSIS 3.0 channels. The CODA connects using DOCSIS 3.1 channels which are different. 

If you do end up doing that make sure you sign up for the beta firmware program and have the new firmware pushed to the modem, it makes a HUGE difference from the shipping firmware.

@kozhitnrun wrote:

also I talked to customer care/retention and the best they can do is 25bucks off.....really ..like 3 days of lost wages and 3 games not test i.e 25 bucks an hour for testing and like the lost stream is unmountable as it dependent on donation.

You can't expect Rogers (or any ISP) to compensate for your loss wages, I mean if the Power goes out and the food in my fridge gets spoiled, do I ask the Utility Company to pay for my spoiled food?

kozhitnrun
I Plan to Stick Around

@gp-se wrote:

@ kozhitnrun why not go to the Rogers store today and swap your modem for the new CODA 4582 Modem, since you game it will make a nice difference in latency. Also that way when the Rogers Tech comes you'll already have the new modem and he can do testing with that setup. DOCSIS 3.1 is the future, and it's where Rogers will be spending the resources on fine tuning for optimal performance. Also if your area is DOCSIS 3.1 enabled then those weak SNR ratios you currently have wont matter since those are DOCSIS 3.0 channels. The CODA connects using DOCSIS 3.1 channels which are different. 

If you do end up doing that make sure you sign up for the beta firmware program and have the new firmware pushed to the modem, it makes a HUGE difference from the shipping firmware.

you see I would love to do that because the signal noise ratio is really wonky as per the techs on the phone ,there's no point I'll still have a lot of packet loss and will have disconnect issues from my stream and Xbox live ...so I'm stuck waiting for the tech tomorrow, when if they would have sent one Friday when I first called it would be fixed and a 25 dollar off is very insulting .....

@kozhitnrun wrote:

I hate to sound mean, but this is not a business-grade service with a service level agreement. There's a reason a 100 megabit leased line with a modest SLA costs $600/month...

aPHAT
I've Been Around

I'm unable to host games in Mass Effect Andromeda on PC. I have attempted to forward the ports required with my CGNM but have had no luck. Anyone here familiar with this? Apparently hosting games require and open NAT and I do not see a way of opening up the NAT settings on my router. 

RogersCilio
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hello @aPHAT

Welcome to the Rogers Forum Smiley Happy!

Thanks for bringing your concern to the Community. I can certainly understand how frustrating of a situation this must be for you.

It appears there are other members of the Community also experiencing similar issues, as seen here, on post #1496 with the CODA modem.

I'll invite a few of our Res Experts to assist, I'm certain they'll be able to point you in the right direction :). 

@gp-se @Datalink @Gdkitty @VivienM, any insight or words of wisdom you can provide will be greatly appreciated!

Regards,

RogersCilio

gp-se
I'm an Advisor

@aPHAT On the Gateway have you gone into the settings and changed the firewall level to "minimum". Also you can goto port forwarding settings and enter the ports there.

doit5555
I've Been Here Awhile

NAT TYPE ONLINE GAMING

Good evening/morning. Am having trouble with online gaming because my NAT type is set to strict. How can i switch it to open?

Your post was moved to this thread, if you look back through it you should find most of the answers you need.

Short version.

You can reduce your firewall settings a little.
You will need to set up port forwarding in the modem to forward specific ports to your game system (this will vary based on which game system it is)

You will also to do the forwarding properly, need to set up a static IP address for the game system.

Azaeal
I've Been Here Awhile

Here here!. Rogers supplies bad equipment then blames you saying your Xbox causing problems not us. Unplug your bad modem and plug it back in you should be good for an hour. Problem fixed...see you in hour sucker

Azaeal
I've Been Here Awhile
Techxpert is a now cancelled service. Rogers has sent a big screw you nessage to it's customer base. I put my Xbox one in dmz and Nat was open but I am not sure what risks there are.

doit5555
I've Been Here Awhile
Just add a new modem and connect xbox to that modem. It works for me. 3 Months and no issues. Problem is the Rogers modem. So I just connected a new modem to am Ethernet port on the Rogers modem. It's not in BRIDGE.

MHD097
I've Been Around

need help to open my nat 

Hi I need help to open my nat because I can not play online FIFA 18 I have a xbox one s 

thank you in advance  

@MHD097 if you have a white CODA-4582 or black CGN3ASCMR modem then the problem is most likely that the modem is running IPV6.  The modem model can be seen on the product sticker at the back of the modem.  

To switch the modem to IPV4 only mode, log into the modem, navigate to BASIC .... GATEWAY FUNCTION tab, change the MODE from Dual (IPV4 and IPV6) to IPV4 only.  Save the setting.  The modem will revert to IPV4 only mode in a couple of minutes.  Usually I run a reboot as well ADMIN ..... DEVICE RESET .... Reboot.  

While the modem is rebooting, reboot the XBox as well.  

Can you let me know the exact model of modem that you have.  if this is one of the other CGN3xxx models, there are two ways to resolve this.  Exchange the modem for a CGN3ACSMR, or newer white CODA-4582, or request the trial firmware version for the CGN3xxxx modem, if that is what you currently have.   The trial firmware would allow you to switch modem Modes to IPV4 only. 

shack6
I've Been Around

how do i open nat type for gaming with these outdated confusing things that i pay for ?

Hello @shack6,

Welcome to the Community Forums!

As a fellow online gamer, I can fully understand the need to set your NAT type to open.

Can you provide some more information on which modem you have and what gaming device you're connecting to?  I would also recommend reading through this thread as there have been a number of helpful posts.

Keep us posted.

RogersShaun

How can I change  my Nat type to type 1

Good morning @Carlos4949!

Welcome to the Rogers Community Forums and thank you for your post!

May you provide a little bit more info. on which modem you have and what gaming device you're connecting to? Additionally, have you had a chance to review the earlier posts in this thread? There's some good discussion about the topic.

RogersZia

PSTE84
I've Been Around

I have the same issues with that service from Rogers. Im so fed up with restarting modem 5 times a day. I set up all the ports. Set up some hosts, geteways, played with Firewall and i still loosing connections while playing multiplayer. Why am i paying 80$ for this service ? I think Rogers is the worst internet service provider i ever had to deal with in my entire life and i dont belive there is a worst service provider!!!!

doit5555
I've Been Here Awhile
Change router setting to ip4 only .you are welcome
We Want Your Opinion
Would you be interested in becoming a Community Testing Lab member?
Topic Stats