Rogers Internet Behind the Scenes (please read!!!!!!!!!)

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Highlighted
I've Been Around

Rogers Internet Behind the Scenes (please read!!!!!!!!!)

Well hello rogers internet messageboard! Here are a few things for anyone on here. As everyone knows rogers has an issue with intermittent wireless on the modems they provide here are a few things you should know. The main thing is rogers does not and i repeat does not! guarantee wireless to even work. I say this because people tend to think the higher price in these D3 modems are for the wireless which is incorrect as i stated above not guaranteed and the sales teams at the store seem to think differently. Which they should be educated on! but then again they are sales and get bonuses for the sales they make so you cant really blame them. Second thing everyone should understand is that the best thing to do if your internet is intermittent and constantly going down is buying a wifi router which they should state prior to getting these modems which also should be bridged on pick up and then desided by the customer if they would like to try the wireless on them. Third is the backwards tech-support teams. I recently got my hands on 2 of these up-to-date  tech support guides one from 2012 and this years revised verison of this crock. during the 2012 period these guides said to switch the modems channels change encryption type to aes to stop with wireless issues which in turn did not work and which increased the call volumes the revised one states to switch the channels to auto put the encryption to tkip and aes and educate the customers with another crock about wireless interference and about wifi channels and issues with large areas of wireless consumers conflicting with each other and heres the kicker recently they stated if the wifi channels auto channel was still an issue to start switching the channels again through the 11 channels. In all honesty Rogers should stop the run around with defect products pushed to consumers because they screwed up purchasing them and actually sit down with everyone from end to end of the company and get the story straight and put a little extra cash out for motorola D3 modems which cost more but are not garbage wireless/mdm devices.

Thanks for you time

opinions?

***edited labels***

I'm a Reliable Contributor

Re: Rogers Internet Behind the Scenes (please read!!!!!!!!!)

Thank you for your post, although all of what you have posted is already posted here in various threads. It is nice to have a summary. There is no doubt that Rogers is messing with their customer in the modems they currently provide and there is no doubt whatsoever that they need a decent stand alone D3 modem. So far, Rogers has refused to acknowledge this or do anything about it. Shame on them!

I am not a Rogers employee, nor will I beg you to like my posts! 

As already stated this topic has been covered well in this forum already by many, including me. It is well known that the Rogers routers have poor wireless performance. I have the SMC unit which is terrible for wireless but just ok as a router, so I turned that off and use my own router/access point for wireless. There is also a security exposure when using the Rogers routers as a full router since Rogers staff can log into the device remotely from their network and download updates, etc.   Many people therefore have put these units into bridge mode and use their own routers behind them.

I also agree that while it makes sense for Rogers to offer an all-in-one device since most users want a simple setup they should be much better quality especially given the cost.   Many of us though would still like to see a stand-alone modem such as the Motorola 6120 offered as an alternative so that those of us who want a more sophisticated network in their home can do so.

Having said this, no one can guarantee wireless performance in a house or apartment. While the quality of the wireless in the router is very important as is the quality of the device accessing it, the amount of congestion in your neighbourhood is just as big of an impact as to the quality and speed of your connection.

I have testing software on my laptop which tells me how many networks are in my neighbourhood and at what signal levels. I live in the west end of Toronto and I have 10 networks near me I can see.   This is on the 2.4 Ghz band which is known to be overused and congested especially in urban settings.   This brings down the speed I can use significantly however my network is at least stable now and doesn't drop out like it id on the SMC.

The better answer is to use the 5 GHZ band which has little to no congestion at this point.   When I test that in my area, there is no one else using it near me so I get 3-4 times faster thruput using this band.   Its main weakness though is that it doesn't penetrate walls as well as 2.4 does so you'll want to put your wireless device in a location with fewer obstructions to your source.    The other problem is that most smartphones and tables only support the 2.4 Ghz band, however laptops and desktops can more easily be equipped with the more recent dual-band modems either internally or with USB external devices.

I'm a Trusted Contributor

@techguy001 wrote:

As already stated this topic has been covered well in this forum already by many, including me. It is well known that the Rogers routers have poor wireless performance. I have the SMC unit which is terrible for wireless but just ok as a router, so I turned that off and use my own router/access point for wireless. There is also a security exposure when using the Rogers routers as a full router since Rogers staff can log into the device remotely from their network and download updates, etc.   Many people therefore have put these units into bridge mode and use their own routers behind them.

I would like to point out that putting Rogers Internet gateway (Cisco, SMC, Hitron) into bridged mode in no way prevents Rogers employees connecting and managing them remotely.

I once had a problem with my connection and called techsupp to troubleshoot. I have Cisco DPC3825 in bridged mode and Netgear R6300 router. Rogers agent logged into my modem and confirmed that my gateway is in bridged router AND IT HAS NETGEAR ROUTER connected to it. It didn't surprise me that he was able to login into the bridged gateway (after all gateway uses custom firmware with Rogers internal IP) but I was stunned that the guy was able to determine which router I was using.

So, to conclude, putting your wireless gateway into bridged mode does not prevent Rogers to remotely connect to your gateway and I see nothing wrong with it (otherwise they would not have been able to troubleshoot the gateway)

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

You are correct. I think with the gateways they have a little more access (ie to see what may be connected, etc)
But even with the old modem only, while they can't necessarily see as much beyond it, they have always been able to connect into the modem to check/update firmware, troubleshooting, etc.

It is true, that even in bridged mode they can access the devices purchased or rented from Rogers even in bridged mode.  And so they should if that's the only way to get a software update into them.

There is a big difference however in what they can see.   The fact that they can see what router you're using behind the modem in bridge mode is not a big deal given that your own router implements a firewall within to keep prying eyes out of your internal network.   It is that separation that protects your internal network assuming you change admin passwords on your own router from factory default and that you implement appropriate wireless security when using it as well.

When you use the Rogers device as a full router, Rogers can remotely log in, reset the admin passwords back to default and also see inside your home's network along with any devices connected to it and possibly any file shares that may be accessible or media libraries, etc.   This is not how you build a safe and secure network.

I did a test recently on my SMC modem/router combo.   I turned it back into a router from being in bridge mode.   I changed both admin passwords on the unit (both Rogers admin and user admin) and saved them so that in theory I would still be secured.   A few days later when Rogers sent out an update at night during one of the maintenance periods the modem was reset back to factory default for userid and passwords.   These passwords are now published on the internet so essentially after that night I would have been open and lacking any security.

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Maybe maybe not.  I am almost wondering if yours was only reset, due to you changing the ROGERS admin side one?  Sort of noticed it and did a force reset?
I have had a custom password set on mine since the day i got the SMC well over a year ago, and have not once had it reset back to any defaults.

Likely like you said though, even if rogers saw that router, there was nothing else that they can see on it. 
many defices, advertise themselves on the network in that way, but gaining access to them, is another thing.

I have a network scanning tool on my iphone.  When i have it into the wireless here at work.. and use it to scan, most of the generic PCs just show up as IP's, but the main cisco routers, switches, APs, etc, all come up named by their model, as this is something they advertise on the network when  probed in that way.

No, it didn't force a full reset from what I saw but the modem was restarted after the update finished, about 2 minutes outage in the process.   The log was showing these events.   Previous to this update I had changed both passwords to my own.    The update changed the firmware to current (3.14.45.2), changed the rogcesadmin password back to default, but left my cusadmin password as I had left it and also kept all my settings I had customized for my internal network.   In this experiment, I am using the SMC as a router, DHCP, etc however have turned wireless off and changed my own router to an access point so that I still have good wireless coverage in my house this way (as well known now in this forum that Rogers devices have terrible wireless service).   

Since the update,about a week now, I have changed the rogcesadmin acess password to my own again and there haven't been any further updates so for now, I'm still in control.   I just want to see how often this change will happen with new updates where the modem re-initializes.   Another annoying issue that happens in this setup is that when the SMC modem/router re-boots, my rogers one number VOIP adapter connected to the SMC won't reconnect automatically as it should and I have to intervene and force it to re-connect, something I don't have to do when the voip adapter is connected to my own router.   

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Im guessing with the firmware push, its built in as part of the upgrade, to force it back to the default one for the rogers admin login.

I guess just a basic test, would be to power cycle the modem, and see if it resets just on a hard reboot.

I did that test already and no, it doesn't reset on a normal re-boot.   It only happened when I received an update on the firmware.