Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Had my install today!
Tech was really good and knowledgeable (well as much as they can be this early)

I need to head out shortly, so this will be just a QUICK overview, go into MUCH more detail about all the stuff when I get back later tonight.

Modem set up,  put at demarc.  Built in range was decent, but not great for my 3rd box, so installed a MESH wireless.  Seems to work well from what I can see.  (I am running NOT bridged right now.. as my RT-N66U is getting a little long in the tooth.)  I was able to get 300+/25 on wireless (on 500u).  Wired seems fine.

X1 boxes are TINY, like android box sized.  
Seem to work well though, VERY fast to respond.  Recording work.  Playback works.  Playback via cell/ipad works.
Cant seem to find where to change the wifi network right now.. will ask the concierge when I talk to them tomorrow.

Again, will write a much larger review later tonight.  If you have questions, let me know and I can try and see/check about it.

*Edited Labels*

1,081 REPLIES 1,081

Re: Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

jpg222
I Plan to Stick Around
Good for you. I called they are sending someone over to check it out.

kibosh
I Plan to Stick Around
I was just trying to give you some feedback that it may not be a widespread issue. Glad they are checking it out for you.

marriedawop
I've Been Around

Do you have to pay for each tv you set up in your household? Or does the price include tv's in all your rooms etc

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@marriedawop : As discussed in this and the other Ignite thread, it's $10/mo beyond the first TV.

jpg222
I Plan to Stick Around
I know thanks for the reply.

Biollw
I'm an Advisor

Set for installation Thursday . 

Anybody using cisco VPN or other VPN client? work ok?

Also is there digital optical output? 

Thnx

Bill

Biollw
I'm an Advisor

Confirmed, units do not have Optical audio output. Bummer.

But still need experience with Cisco or other VPNs.

Thnx

Biollw
I'm an Advisor

Vpn works fine.

Installed today. They had minor problem setting up the modem in bridge mode but eventually Got it.

All 3 tv boxes connected an were setup with no problem.

Speed testing in wifi is coming up at 280/20 but wired is only coming in at 150 down. I need to check things over with LAN and router.

Now I just need to play with the tv some more and get things figured out,

kibosh
I Plan to Stick Around
So you have the modem bridged and all of your TV is working? All apps?

Biollw
I'm an Advisor

Netflix errors. All units are hard wired, none wifi. You tube works.

Don't care about netflix I have it on my smart tv.

kibosh
I Plan to Stick Around
Ya, I could get everything but Netflix working for some reason. What kind of router are you using?

Biollw
I'm an Advisor

Netgear r7000 nighthawk

kibosh
I Plan to Stick Around
I have an Asus rt-ac3100. Just wondering what settings you have set up for IPv6?

Biollw
I'm an Advisor

Never changed my router. Only DHCP for IPv4. IPv6 is disabled.

kibosh
I Plan to Stick Around
That is interesting. It seems that for some reason Netflix requires an IPv6 address on these receivers. Even when I configure IPv6 the xi6 shows an external IPv4 address in the diagnostic menu even though the router shows that it has an internal IPv6 address.

gisuck
I'm a Reliable Contributor

I got Ignite TV on order. Installation is scheduled for Tuesday morning. Hopefully I get a very knowledgeable tech that can quickly understand my network topology. I got an enterprise grade firewall at home with over 30 networkable devices. The easiest solution would just to put the new modem into gateway mode and take it from there, or else it's going to be a nightmare. 

Hoping to send feedback about my installation on Tuesday.

@gisuck wrote:

I got Ignite TV on order. Installation is scheduled for Tuesday morning. Hopefully I get a very knowledgeable tech that can quickly understand my network topology. I got an enterprise grade firewall at home with over 30 networkable devices. The easiest solution would just to put the new modem into gateway mode and take it from there, or else it's going to be a nightmare. 

Did you mean bridge mode? I presume you'd like to integrate the Ignite boxes with your existing topology?

gisuck
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@VivienM wrote:

@gisuck wrote:

Did you mean bridge mode? I presume you'd like to integrate the Ignite boxes with your existing topology?

Yes, I did. Had a bit of a brain freeze. Hahaha. Thank you for the correction.

kibosh
I Plan to Stick Around

I bought a new router a Netgear X4S.  I tried setting up IPv6 and got the same results as with my ASUS.  I did however try and turn off IPv6 and I can get everything to work . . . live TV and all apps including Netflix.  Not sure why its working on mine.  Only downside is no IPv6 but I am not sure that all that important.

Netflix works biw even with just IPv4 and modem in bridge mode.

@kibosh, did you try the Asus router with IPV6 disabled?  Just to see if the Netflix app would work with the Asus router?  That would be good to know for other users down the road.  It should work without issue, but, if you have time to try it out, that would be worth doing. 

Food for thought.  If you now have two routers, you should be able to connect both to the modem with the modem running in Bridge mode.  Fire up the routers and when they're up and running, reboot the modem.  After the modem reboot, they should have two independent IPV4 and IPV6 addresses, provided of course that they're set to run IPV6.  Depending on you're home network configuration, you might be able to split the net so that the Xi6 runs on the IPV4 router, along with anything else you want to run with it, and then run the remainder of your network with both IPV4 and IPV6 available.  

The Hitron modems will provide two IPV4 and an unlimited number of IPV6 addresses, although I haven't personally confirmed the modem will provide numerous IPV6 addresses.  It should work.  I would expect the XB6 to be able to provide two independent IPV4 and IPV6 addresses as well.