Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Had my install today!
Tech was really good and knowledgeable (well as much as they can be this early)

I need to head out shortly, so this will be just a QUICK overview, go into MUCH more detail about all the stuff when I get back later tonight.

Modem set up,  put at demarc.  Built in range was decent, but not great for my 3rd box, so installed a MESH wireless.  Seems to work well from what I can see.  (I am running NOT bridged right now.. as my RT-N66U is getting a little long in the tooth.)  I was able to get 300+/25 on wireless (on 500u).  Wired seems fine.

X1 boxes are TINY, like android box sized.  
Seem to work well though, VERY fast to respond.  Recording work.  Playback works.  Playback via cell/ipad works.
Cant seem to find where to change the wifi network right now.. will ask the concierge when I talk to them tomorrow.

Again, will write a much larger review later tonight.  If you have questions, let me know and I can try and see/check about it.

*Edited Labels*

1,081 REPLIES 1,081

Re: Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

The Comcast deployment in the U.S. (and Shaw's) is not all-IP. It's mostly the new X1 software on an old-school QAM-based backend with old school-style STBs, PVRs, etc. In other words, in my view, Comcast fixed what was broken (the dated front-end interface that didn't appeal at all to younger clients) and kept what was working (the 'broadcast-style' backend where all boxes tune into the same signal).

Rogers, for better or worse, insisted on an all-IP architecture, a move also followed by Videotron when they adopted the X1 platform. The Xi6 boxes used by Rogers/Videotron are used in Comcast-land too, but in a completely different way - as 'satellite' boxes that connect to a master box inside the home.

@BrendanCharles 

The thing is, not EVERYONE is having the issues.   A % of them are yes.
But not everyone.

And along that thought process.. if Ignite should be recalled.  So should have digital TV.  
Going back, there was as much if not MORE issues with digital TV across the years. 
(again, most effecting only some and not all)
Guess we should all go back to SD analog TV?

mozerd
I Plan to Stick Around

@BrendanCharles 

I have ignite TV installed in my Home since May of 2019 -- all my family member's are very satisfied with the Ignite TV Experience. I am also in the Tech field and have over 20 of my clients using Ignite TV and all of them are - so far - also very pleased. In my situation and the Clients I service >>> all are using the Technicolor Gateway in BRIDGE mode so 'we' have far more control of the environment based on the Routers being used and the corresponding Wireless Access Points.

If you are having issues I suspect that its tied to the 'stability' of your Internet Service and/or poor installation disciplines  by the Techs Rogers are using  -- just be patient and pester the Rogers Tech Support to resolve your issues. The CRITICAL PART is that your Internet Service must be "persistently stable" and that your home installation is competently done based on the number of devices that actually access [may access] your home network.

Rogers is currently very 'aggressively' updating their NETWORK so stability is being improved daily -- but the Network is huge so it takes time before all areas will have the needed stability,

David Mozer
IT-Expert on Call

RHstats
I Plan to Stick Around

@Gdkitty- I agree with you. Even though the Ignite TV has it's issues, it is far, far superior in every way to digital tv. I would never want to go back to digital tv

derekg66
I Plan to Stick Around
Agree here too! No problems whatsoever with our installation and quality is superior to what our digital cable was. Two TVs hooked up.

derekg66
I Plan to Stick Around
We had an excellent tech who I could tell had good knowledge of the product and used proper installation practices. I have some general IT experience and we had a good discussion about the technology. It was clear he had a passion for what he was doing and it reflected in his work.

Raw_78
I've Been Here Awhile

Hi Andy,

I have two more techs come out since the install. It appears to have been an issue with Ethernet cable from my home monitoring system the first tech plugged into my infinite modem causing the interference. Things seem to running much better but now my ignite cable tv in my bedroom isn’t working. Sad, as I have all my services with Rogers for many years now and everything “was” running perfectly on the old system. I love the ignite and the guide interface but need all my services to be running “consistently” which unfortunately is not the case. I only have two HDMI ports on that tv and neither are showing me any channels again. I am waiting for the supervisor to call me since yesterday. No call yet.

RogersAndy
Retired Moderator
Retired Moderator

Hey @Raw_78!

I'm so glad to hear that things are up and running smoother! Albeit a bit disappointing that it's all but one set top box. I'm hoping that by now you've heard from the supervisor but if for any reason you haven't I definitely recommend reaching out to us @CommunityHelps. We'd like to review the signal to that box and look into the escalation for you.

For more information on our PM system check out our blog.

@RogersAndy

Ignite Tv Activation waiting 24 to 48 hours or more? Had ignite tv and a new wifi modem installed Feb 14th (to upgrade from our cable package) with no service since then. Tech came that day to install and he left saying he couldn’t do anything but that our service would be activated that night. Of course it was not so I’ve called 4 times since then from Friday to Sunday and all I’ve heard is that my ticket has been escalated with no other options for me in the meantime. I have no service whatsoever in my house. Tonight (Sun) I was told by a manager that they can’t give me an estimated time on when this may be fixed. I’ve talked to as many people as I could and was told that I could not speak to the “backend team” working on this ticket. Has anyone had this issue before and who else should I contact about this? I’m not looking foreword to sitting around for week with no service if it ends up taking that long.

Good evening

Welcome to the Rogers Community and thank you for sharing your issue with us.

While we hope your services are successfully activated at this point, we would love the opportunity to look into this for you and try to make this right.

Please send a private message to @CommunityHelps so we can gather your information and get started. If you're not familiar with our private messaging system, click here.

We look forward to hearing from you!

RogersMaude

seadooxp30
I'm a Reliable Contributor

Yeah been there done that year ago when jumped on ignite TV. 3 days of no service!

Not sure how can Rogers allow this to happen.

Once you get your service you will be with other issues... (Waiting for 3 weeks now for OOP to provide update on my freezing after 8 PM).

Unless you're one of the lucky ones on ignite TV that will have flawless service.

I updated on your other thread about it.. its most likely a infrastructure issue in the area. 
(bar it being say a server issue for where your feed from in  your area).
But generally time of day issues are more infrastructure.

If your able to get anyone to escalate it.. get them to send the maintenance teams out to the area, DURING those peak times, and track down where the failing node, street feed, etc that is failing.

seadooxp30
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@ Gdkitty,

Thank you for your response and all information. Also yes I saw your post in other thread.

Problem is that I shouldn't be telling all this to Rogers!

They are the service provider and their "ADMIN" on this forum should be able to force backend to look into this.

I don't have time to do this for something that I pay premium $$

Having said that after 5 tech and ongoing call to managers and support and OOP, they know its their back end but not sure why taking so long to fix.

gmoney63
I've Been Here Awhile

A few questions about moving to Ignite

1. - If I go online to my account and order Ignite for TV, Internet and Home Phone when would my current rogers services stop? In other words I don't want my current services to stop until I have the new Ignite services up and running.

2. - How do I select my flex channels? Specifically how do I remove and add flex channels?

3. - When do I, or when can I, select my flex channels? Do I pick them when I order the service? Is this done online or do I have to contact Rogers in person? Can you change them if your tastes / watching habits change?

4. - If I attempt a self-install but then require help will I be without Internet, TV and Home Phone until an on-site service can be scheduled or will my current setup continue to work?

5. - I maintain a land-line home phone because my wife and I have parents in their late 80's and we are reluctant to change things for the time being. So I have numerous land line phones, some wired and some cordless with base-stations and I read somewhere that the new Ignite modem provides only a single RJ11 port to connect in either a single wired or single base station to it. Is it possible to simply connect that port into a jack in the house and provide phone connectivity to all jacks in the home?

6. - Lastly, in my current setup I have a very good router and I have put my Rogers Hitron modem into Bridge-Mode. So my router (not Hitron) is assigning DHCP IP addressing I would like to do the same thing with the Ignite but I realize that in order to do that I would need to route my TVs through the router. Is this a common setup possibility with Ignite.

Many thanks.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@gmoney63 wrote:

A few questions about moving to Ignite

1. - If I go online to my account and order Ignite for TV, Internet and Home Phone when would my current rogers services stop? In other words I don't want my current services to stop until I have the new Ignite services up and running.

I believe that the switchover takes place when your new Ignite modem gets installed.  As far as I know, you cannot have Rogers Ignite and legacy services active at the same time.  @CommunityHelps , could you please confirm/clarify this?

2. - How do I select my flex channels? Specifically how do I remove and add flex channels?

3. - When do I, or when can I, select my flex channels? Do I pick them when I order the service? Is this done online or do I have to contact Rogers in person? Can you change them if your tastes / watching habits change?

You do this by signing into MyRogers.  Just go into your TV service area and you will find an "Exchange Flex Channels" button.  You will see this tool once the Ignite TV service gets added to your MyRogers account.

https://www.rogers.com/customer/support/article/exchange-ignite-tv-channels

When I signed up for Ignite TV two years ago, I was able to make an unlimited number of Flex channel changes during the first 30 days.  That allows you to see which channels you like or don't like and settle on a channel lineup that works well for you going forward.  Once that grace period is over, you will not be able to make another change until 30 days after your last Flex Channel exchange.  At that point, you can exchange as many Flex Channels as you want but you have to live with your choices for another 30 days.

If you have a limited number of Flex Channels, try to schedule your Flex Channel changes around Free Previews to maximize the number of channels available to you.

4. - If I attempt a self-install but then require help will I be without Internet, TV and Home Phone until an on-site service can be scheduled or will my current setup continue to work?

If your telephone service is with Bell, I would start off by ordering Ignite TV and Internet.  The installation of those services are pretty straightforward.  Replace your Hitron modem with the new Ignite gateway, perform the basic setup, then power up the Ignite set-top boxes and they will automatically discover the gateway and connect to WiFi automatically.

Once Ignite TV and Internet are set up and running, you can then port your Bell Home Phone service to Ignite Home Phone at a later date.

5. - I maintain a land-line home phone because my wife and I have parents in their late 80's and we are reluctant to change things for the time being. So I have numerous land line phones, some wired and some cordless with base-stations and I read somewhere that the new Ignite modem provides only a single RJ11 port to connect in either a single wired or single base station to it. Is it possible to simply connect that port into a jack in the house and provide phone connectivity to all jacks in the home?

That depends.  It's not quite that simple.  You will first need to physically disconnect the wires of the incoming Bell service from your in-home telephone wiring before you wire up Ignite Home Phone.  Also, you can't do this trick if you have a monitored home alarm system; you need to wire in Ignite Home Phone in such a way that your alarm system can seize the telephone line.

6. - Lastly, in my current setup I have a very good router and I have put my Rogers Hitron modem into Bridge-Mode. So my router (not Hitron) is assigning DHCP IP addressing I would like to do the same thing with the Ignite but I realize that in order to do that I would need to route my TVs through the router. Is this a common setup possibility with Ignite.

This is possible but if you should ever run into any technical problems with your service, Rogers will not be able to support you in this configuration.

FYI, you may also find the following thread helpful: https://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Questions-about-Ignite-Service-and-Setup/td-p/471673

gmoney63
I've Been Here Awhile

Hi -G-

Thanks so much for the super quick reply to my many questions.

For clarity I am currently on Rogers Internet, Rogers TV and Rogers Home Phone so there will be no porting of anything from another carrier required.

Since I am currently on Rogers Home Phone and my home alarm system does not use the phone lines I should simply be able to plug an RJ11 cable from my wall jack into the Ignite Gateway and the wired handsets in my home should work as normal.

Once again, thanks a million for such a quick and detailed reply.

Sailorman
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi … I’m a long time Rogers customer with legacy Digital TV, High Speed Internet and Home Phone service. Rogers is pressuring us to upgrade to Ignite TV. My current set up is stable, performs well and I have some questions/concerns about changing it. Can someone help. Reading above leaves me very leery.  

• My Rogers CODA modem is located in a 2nd floor bedroom and is bridged. I’m using 2 Eero Pro 6 routers, one connected by ethernet to the CODA; the other wireless on a lower floor. I own both of these. I know mesh pods are available from Rogers but prefer to use the Eero Pro 6’s. I’m paying for 500 mb/s High Speed Internet but consistently get faster speeds throughout. My internet is fast, stable and I’m 100% happy with it. Will my Eero Pro 6’s work with the Ignite modem and will the set up be the same. Can the modem stay in my upstairs bedroom connected to an Eero Pro 6.

• The legacy Home Phone panel with backup power is located in the basement near the electrical panel where the telephone jack wiring is. The panel is connected to this wiring and regular phones can be plugged in anywhere in the house where there is a phone jack. Can Ignite work the same way.

• I have a Home Alarm system connected to the Home Phone box. Since the Home Phone box has a back-up battery, service is not disrupted by a power outage. What options exist for the Ignite Phone. Can it be connected to the alarm box in the basement, and will the alarm system have priority such that it isn’t compromised by making a telephone call on one of the phones. Back up power?

• Is this something that requires an on-site tech call or can I do it myself. With COVID 4th Wave upon us we would prefer not having a tech into the house if this is something that can be done ourselves.  

Advice and suggestions much appreciated.   

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Sailorman : I'm not an expert on IgniteTV. I don't even have it, I'm also still on Legacy Digital Cable, however, I have read all of the Ignite threads, so here are my comments until one of the experts here chimes in with additional information.

1. Yes, that should work - you would "bridge" your gateway/router(s).  Others will have more information.

2. Ignite does not work in the same way. There is no separate modem, phone modem.  There is a "gateway" which you need to put somewhere and everything connects to it.  The STBs can connect wirelessly (WiFi) or via Ethernet.

3. There is no battery backup in the gateway, but you could plug it into a UPS.  Be aware that most Rogers node locations near your home now no longer have battery backup at the node, so if there is a power failure in your neighbourhood, the home phone likely will go down even if your gateway stays up. Most people have cell phones for backup/emergency use.

How the alarm system connects depends on your individual system, so until we know exactly what you have an how it's wired, we cannot comment.

It's typically easy to connect the gateway to one of the phone jacks in your home and "backfeed" any other phone jacks in the home using the existing wiring. How this affects an alarm system depends on wiring and system

4. You may be able to do this yourself. Many do, however, with an alarm system external help is often required.

5. I suggest you read through the relevant threads in the Ignite forum here to get some initial understanding of these things.

-G-
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Sailorman  This installation is doable but will have its challenges.

Let's deal with the phone situation first.  The alarm system makes things complicated because it needs to be able to seize the phone line when an alarm triggers so that it can call the central station, even when a phone is off hook or somebody is using the telephone.  Your telephone service therefore needs to feed into the alarm system first (usually through a special jack) and the home's telephone jacks then get access to "dial tone" from the telephone service when the alarm system does not require it.

I also have an alarm system that requires a telephone connection.  I have my Ignite gateway installed in my basement so that it can connect to my alarm system and telephone jacks, but I also have my house wired for Ethernet, so I have a lot of flexibility that allows me to easily connect networking gear anywhere within my home.

With your current setup, you will basically need to disconnect the cable that plugs into your legacy Home Phone modem (which probably leads to an RJ31X jack where your alarm system connects) and connect that cable to the TEL 1 jack on the back of the Ignite gateway.  That's going to be very difficult to do with the Ignite gateway located on the upper floor.  The basement is the logical place to install the Ignite gateway but now you have to worry about how to provide good network and Wi-Fi connectivity to the rest of your home.

As for running Ignite TV over your own networking gear, I have done this for the past two years... but there is a big difference between "will work" and "is supported".  Running Ignite TV over your own network gear is NOT officially supported, and to get it working you need to be aware of some quirks, but it is possible.  To get technical support from Rogers, you also need to first put your home network back into a Rogers-supported configuration, with your Ignite gateway running in "gateway mode".  (i.e. with Bridge Mode disabled)

I'll pass on a story about my latest dealings with Tech Support:

Two weeks ago, I needed to report problems with Ignite TV that had been going on for a while.  They were problems in the back end and had nothing to do with anything in my home.  I put my home network into a Rogers-supported configuration, reported the problem to Rogers, Rogers tech support ran their tests, confirmed that nothing was wrong in my home, confirmed the problem at their end, and escalated the ticket.  I put my Ignite gateway back into bridge mode, reverted back to my previous configuration, and waited for the problem to get fixed.  I got notified that the problem was fixed, but then it started happening again.  I called into tech support to find out what they did to try to resolve the problem.  I then found out that nothing was done.  The specialist saw that my modem was bridged and immediately closed the ticket without doing anything.  😠

At one time, Rogers officially supported Ignite TV deployments with an eero Wi-Fi mesh providing wall-to-wall wireless connectivity.  The eero mesh ran in bridge mode and the install tech disabled Wi-Fi on the Ignite gateway, but the gateway still provided the routing and firewall functionality.

As for your telephone conundrum, whether you go with Rogers Ignite TV, Bell Fibe TV, or anything else, you will have a challenging installation, unless you have a direct wired connection of some kind from your modem down to your basement.

With Fibe TV over VDSL, the installation tech connects a filtered line to your RJ31X jack/alarm system, and will also need to run either one or two unfiltered lines to your modem location.  If Bell delivers phone service in your area through the VoIP module in the HomeHub modem, unfiltered telephone lines run to your modem and you will still need to connect the modem's telephone jack to your alarm system.

With Fibe TV and Fibre-to-the-Home, the incoming Bell fibre feeds into a fibre module on the HomeHub modem.  You will then also need to connect the modem's telephone port to your alarm system.  (...and you have the same dilemma as to where to place the modem, that delivers all your services, as you do with Rogers Ignite.)

There are other options:

If Bell can provide you with a Home Phone service over a pair of copper wires, you could get a telephone service from Bell, where the incoming Bell line feeds into your RJ31X jack/alarm system.  You can then place the Ignite gateway anywhere in your home.

If you can get cellular connectivity for your alarm system, you can then disconnect the alarm system from your phone lines.  Your Ignite gateway can be placed in any convenient location and "back feed" dial tone to the wall jacks as @57  suggested.

Another option may be to do away with having your alarm system monitored.  In my case, the discount that I get on my home insurance for having a monitored home alarm is actually less than what I pay for alarm monitoring.

There are also some cool gizmos that will allow you to retrofit legacy alarm systems with network connectivity, where you can get alerted by text or email when an alarm triggers.  You will still have the challenge of providing your alarm system with network connectivity.

Sailorman
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks for all this. It's really helpful and confirms some of my fears.

I think for now I'm going to have to stay with the legacy products and try to find a solution for my House Alarm system as that needs a solution first.  It's possible with my DSC Alexor system to set up IP Monitoring but that involves adding an ethernet board to the alarm panel and an ethernet connection (another Eero Pro) in the basement.  I need time to more fully explore this option. Running ethernet lines inside my older house to the second floor isn't an option.  

Doing a self install for this set up sounds challenging and not having support from Rogers Tech Support if there are any issues is worrisome. Hopefully Rogers doesn't make this difficult for me. I've been a customer a long time and would like to retain my services and discounts. I realize at some point I'll probably have to move to the newer platform but perhaps now isn't the best time. 

Pauly
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@-G- wrote:

With your current setup, you will basically need to disconnect the cable that plugs into your legacy Home Phone modem (which probably leads to an RJ31X jack where your alarm system connects) and connect that cable to the TEL 1 jack on the back of the Ignite gateway.  That's going to be very difficult to do with the Ignite gateway located on the upper floor.  The basement is the logical place to install the Ignite gateway but now you have to worry about how to provide good network and Wi-Fi connectivity to the rest of your home.

The level of difficulty is increased yes, but possibly still can be done, however do not expect the typical rogers ignite installer to do this or know how to do this for you, its not his or her fault , don't blame them for not knowing or being able to do it, its out of scope for them.  A specialized cable technician or alarm technician may know how to do this or someone like myself who has years and years of telecom experience.

Most homes have multiple wires to each phone jack, however we typically only use a pair of these wires (2 conductors) if you just have one phone line in your house the rest of these wires are unused and there if  you need to have a second number or a fax line or a VDSL/dry loop pair. 

In most cases, if they're not being used and there is sufficient number of free pairs available, A knowledgeable alarm technician or cable technician or yourself Can fix this if the Ignite Gateway device has been installed upstairs in a bedroom or office where an unused telephone jack exists,   wire up the telephone jack a certain way using the secondary pair (orange/white or bumble bee) so that the home phone signal is sent out of the modem, into the wall jack, goes on the secondary pair all the way downstairs into your basement,  then gets cross connected into your Alarm System RJ31X jack to seize the phone line if the alarm were to go off, then the phone line would come out of the RJ31x jack and get punched down onto the primary pair of your punch down block where all your phone jacks in your house terminate onto, this will then back feed the dial tone to all your jacks which are programmed to the first pair (blue/white or Christmas tree)

I have said this earlier, if you are not knowledgeable or unsure what to do or afraid to try this, leave it to a professional technician.  Just to note, if you want to plug a phone in the same room as your ignite gateway do NOT use a phone splitter, because if you accidentally leave the phone off the hook it will prevent the alarm from taking over the phone line, your best bet would be to buy a 2 port phone jack for the office or bed room and wire the phone set into the blue/white or Christmas tree pair or even better, if u have a cordless phone connected elsewhere in the house leave it where it is and bring the handset to the office or bedroom.