Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Had my install today!
Tech was really good and knowledgeable (well as much as they can be this early)

I need to head out shortly, so this will be just a QUICK overview, go into MUCH more detail about all the stuff when I get back later tonight.

Modem set up,  put at demarc.  Built in range was decent, but not great for my 3rd box, so installed a MESH wireless.  Seems to work well from what I can see.  (I am running NOT bridged right now.. as my RT-N66U is getting a little long in the tooth.)  I was able to get 300+/25 on wireless (on 500u).  Wired seems fine.

X1 boxes are TINY, like android box sized.  
Seem to work well though, VERY fast to respond.  Recording work.  Playback works.  Playback via cell/ipad works.
Cant seem to find where to change the wifi network right now.. will ask the concierge when I talk to them tomorrow.

Again, will write a much larger review later tonight.  If you have questions, let me know and I can try and see/check about it.

*Edited Labels*

1,081 REPLIES 1,081

Re: Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

phandlstewart
I Plan to Stick Around

Hi.  We just had Ignite installed on Friday.  We have two TVs one is a 2016 model the other is over 10 years old.  The older one shows a blue screen after being powered up.  It does acknowledge the HDMI connection but then goes to blue screen.  Any suggestions?  Thanks!

Bplayer
I'm a Trusted Contributor

Did the installation tech not verify that it was working with that TV? That should have been part of their responsibility.

You could try moving the box (connected to the non-functional TV to the other TV) to verify that it is works with the other TV. If it does, go to Settings, Device Settings, Video Output Resolution and change the setting to the lowest possible resolution 16:9, 720p HD. Then move it back and see if that resolves the blue screen.

@phandlstewart wrote:

The older one shows a blue screen after being powered up. 

Make sure that the Rogers box is set to send an appropriate format, like 1080i to the TV. The HDMI handshake to these older TVs sometimes doesn't work properly.  Check to see if there is a firmware update for your TV.  I don't have Ignite, but there is probably something under "Settings" or similar to set the output format from the box.

StatsMan
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm not sure whether this is the right place to post this so if not, perhaps one of the mods could move it to the right thread.

I just bought a new Sony XBR-55X900F tv for my bedroom (which BTW, is an amazing TV). The TV comes with a remote that allows you to program it so that it functions as your STB remote while still retaining the features of the Sony remote, it also comes with an IR blaster to connect with the STB and has voice control through the Google Home app so I thought it would be good to use for my IgniteTV service. The programming of the remote is part of the set-up phase of the TV the first time it is installed but can also be done at a later time through settings.

When I tried to set this up in the set-up phase it first tried to scan the STB through the IR blaster and when that failed it asked me to name my service provider and then identify the STB I'm using. However when I entered Rogers as the service provider and the Xi6-A as the STB it couldn't connect. I tried again through settings using the same information with the same result. I then tried to set it up using both Comcast and Xfinity as the SP with their X1 STB instead of tha Xi6-A (using these settings did work to set up my Harmony Hub/remote until Logitech updated their database to include the Xi6-A as a Rogers STBH). While it recognised both SPs and the X1 STB it still failed indicating that an error had occurred. Given that when entering the SP the list to choose from only showed what appeared to be Canadian SPs. There was a choice of other which is how I managed to get Comcast and Xfinity but I suspect that the error that occurred is that because the TV is in Canada it wouldn't let me access the US SP's STBs and that because Ignite TV is still so new that Sony hasn't included it in their database or is it because Rogers hasn't provided Sony with the information to include in their database.

Does anyone know should I be contacting Rogers to get them top provide the database info for the Xi6-A to Sony or should I contact Sony to ask them to obtain the info and add it to their database and then provide a firmware update? Or should I contact both? It was quite easy to do this with Logitech and the were quite quick to update their database.

phandlstewart
I Plan to Stick Around

It is an intermittent problem which I hate!  🙂  The TV doesn't connect to the Internet, I said it was old!  We bought it in 2005.  I will check the settings, though.  The tech had set it up.  Thanks!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@StatsMan wrote:

Does anyone know should I be contacting Rogers to get them top provide the database info for the Xi6-A to Sony or should I contact Sony to ask them to obtain the info and add it to their database and then provide a firmware update? 

As discussed over on Digital Home, you should be contacting Sony since it's their remote that needs to be updated.

Many people do it "the other way around". They use the provider remote to control the TV. Of course you don't get all the functionality, but you usually get on/off, volume, etc.  That way you'd also get to keep the voice control and other functionality of the Rogers remote.

joelhurren66
I've Been Around

Just had Ignite TV installed 500mb download package although only getting around 120mb speed on wifi

TV is blurry on all HD channels and 4K channels

technician left without fixing it as he didn't know what the problem is 

trying to get Rogers senior technical to investigate and fix - waiting for call back / and tech to come out

any idea on what the problem could be and how it can be fixed?

StatsMan
I Plan to Stick Around
Thanks 57. I did finally figure that out and have since managed to contact Sony Customer Service. Unfortunately they seem to think that I’m trying to use a third party remote (Harmony) to control the TV.

I’ve written back explaining the issue and hopefully one way or another we’ll get it resolved, at least I hope so because I’d much rather not have to switch between remotes in order to use the various apps and other functions that are available on the TV

Bplayer
I'm a Trusted Contributor

@joelhurren66 Likely a cable signal problem that the senior tech will have to investigate. Could be the cable to your home from the street or further back on the line.

Did the rogers tech fix your HD and 4k Channels that are blurry..  I am about the get ignite tv and have second thoughts. 

matted
I'm Here A Lot

Had my install yesterday. Overall everything went well and I was able to get everything working properly with the gateway in bridge mode so I am happy. A few things of note:

-My upload speeds are now slower than with my previous gateway and internet service, despite going from Ignite 250u to Ignite 500u. I think the upload speeds were quietly changed from 30 Mbps to 20 Mbps from my "old" 250u plan to the new 500u plan? Not sure, but disappointing either way

-My AV receiver (made by Anthem) does not have IR codes in the database for volume control from the Ignite remote. Is there a manual process for adding IR codes, or a process for getting Rogers/Comcast to add a new manufacturer?

matted
I'm Here A Lot

Nevermind regarding the IR code question... I found these instructions in another post which I will try tonight:

1.) Go to www.urcsupport.com 
2.) Enter "Rogers" as your Provider 
3.) Select the "Code Finder" button below the "Rogers Ignite TV Voice Remote
4.) Click on "Add New Audio
5.) Select the "Sony" brand from the list 
6.) If you have the model number select "Enter my model number" otherwise select "I don't know my model number
7.) A Code should be generated 
8.) Follow the steps for "Setup for Audio Device Control" below the code finder and enter the code into the remote when prompted

seadooxp30
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@matted wrote:

Had my install yesterday. Overall everything went well and I was able to get everything working properly with the gateway in bridge mode so I am happy. A few things of note:

-My upload speeds are now slower than with my previous gateway and internet service, despite going from Ignite 250u to Ignite 500u. I think the upload speeds were quietly changed from 30 Mbps to 20 Mbps from my "old" 250u plan to the new 500u plan? Not sure, but disappointing either way

-My AV receiver (made by Anthem) does not have IR codes in the database for volume control from the Ignite remote. Is there a manual process for adding IR codes, or a process for getting Rogers/Comcast to add a new manufacturer?

So technician set the Rogers Modem/Router in  bridge mode? And you are using your own router?

Or he just disabled wifi from Rogers modem and you are using your own router for wifi?

@seadooxp30 wrote:

@matted wrote:

...I was able to get everything working properly with the gateway in bridge mode so I am happy. .....

So technician set the Rogers Modem/Router in  bridge mode? And you are using your own router?

Or he just disabled wifi from Rogers modem and you are using your own router for wifi?

I wanted to put it in bridge mode so I could continue to use my Ubiquiti router and WiFi APs (and therefore not have to reconfigure my Guest LAN, reserved DHCP leases, and forwarded ports). My main set top box location has a wired ethernet connection but the 2nd location does not.

Technician did not think I was able to operate in bridge mode without causing issues with the set top boxes (wired or wireless), so he recommended that I use a powerline adaptor for the 2nd box (which he provided) and then disable the WiFi on the Ignite gateway. This would leave my APs unaffected but I would still have to reconfigure everything else.

I found this page on the Rogers support website that confirms that putting the router in bridge mode will disable any Ignite set top box operating on Wifi, however it does not mention any effect to wired boxes so I decided to give it a try.

After the technician left I installed the powerline adaptor for the 2nd box, put the Ignite gateway in bridge mode and put my Ubiquiti router back in the path and no issues at all; my router picked up the external IP and is definitely handling all firewall, routing and DHCP. Set top boxes required a reboot (there may be a way to force a DHCP renew but rebooting was faster than trying to find it) but now work as expected.

Biollw
I'm an Advisor

@matted wrote:

I found this page on the Rogers support website that confirms that putting the router in bridge mode will disable any Ignite set top box operating on Wifi, however it does not mention any effect to wired boxes so I decided to give it a try.

Not right. I have my Arris VB6 in bridge mode using my own router and several access points for Wifi. My set top box that is set to wireless works fine accessing my own wifi points.  Two others are wired and work fine.

matted
I'm Here A Lot

@Biollw wrote: 

Not right. I have my Arris VB6 in bridge mode using my own router and several access points for Wifi. My set top box that is set to wireless works fine accessing my own wifi points.  Two others are wired and work fine.

Sorry, I was just quoting the support page which is all I found in my searching during configuration. I later found evidence that it is possible to join custom WiFi networks, although this is obviously unsupported by Rogers (even if it is more likely to be reliable than using the Arris VB6, assuming you put more than a moment's thought into your AP selection, placement, and configuration).

For now the powerline adaptor is working fine for the 2nd box so I will likely just leave it alone.

gstone1
I've Been Around

Thinking about switching to the ignite system,  200%, the distance from my demarc to some of my tv's will be out of wifi range.  Currently, I already have a internet modem and telphone modem installed there, plus server, switch, etc...

I have my own mesh system installed in my house.  Will the ignite wireless boxes work on my own existing mesh network or do I have to install rogers mesh and have another frequency bouncing around.

Can I set the IP range of the main modem/router to the 192.168.x.x range?

lastly, ignite is 4k?

thank you.

You can change the IP range.  I havent bothered myself, i re set up everything on the 10.x.x.x

You should be able to use your own mesh.. especially if they are just an AP based one.   Just disable the wireless on the main unit, if your main mesh connects wired.

I dont have 4k myself.  But last I heard, it does support 4k.  But its not on by default.  You need to get them to push out the activation for it.

seadooxp30
I'm a Reliable Contributor

@gstone1 wrote:

Thinking about switching to the ignite system,  200%, the distance from my demarc to some of my tv's will be out of wifi range.  Currently, I already have a internet modem and telphone modem installed there, plus server, switch, etc...

I have my own mesh system installed in my house.  Will the ignite wireless boxes work on my own existing mesh network or do I have to install rogers mesh and have another frequency bouncing around.

Can I set the IP range of the main modem/router to the 192.168.x.x range?

lastly, ignite is 4k?

thank you.

I have ASUS mesh system and had to use the rogers modem/router and just disable their wifi.

I see others put Rogers modem in bridge mode and its working for them but not for me.

Also if you call support with issue the first thing they want to do is put rogers modem back in modem/router mode.

There are lots of options in Roger that allow you to use the ip range. Yo just need to know how.

As for 4K, yes. With popular you get some sports channel in 4K and with premium you get some more...

Read this forum about Ignite TV pros and cons before jumping off of cable.

StatsMan
I Plan to Stick Around

@matted wrote:

Nevermind regarding the IR code question... I found these instructions in another post which I will try tonight:

1.) Go to www.urcsupport.com 
2.) Enter "Rogers" as your Provider 
3.) Select the "Code Finder" button below the "Rogers Ignite TV Voice Remote
4.) Click on "Add New Audio
5.) Select the "Sony" brand from the list 
6.) If you have the model number select "Enter my model number" otherwise select "I don't know my model number
7.) A Code should be generated 
8.) Follow the steps for "Setup for Audio Device Control" below the code finder and enter the code into the remote when prompted

Thanks for this. My problem isn't pairing my Ignite remote with my Sony TV nut rather setting up the Sony remote so that it is able to control my Rogers Xi6-A STB. The latest Sony remotes come with a number of features including voice control (not sure whether this will work with the Rogers STB as it's primary purpose is to control Google Home and the various Google/Android apps that come preloaded on the TV) and a set up process that requires using a provided IR blaster in front of the Service Provider's STB and following the process that comes up when one presses GUIDE on the Sony remote. Unfortunately, it seems that Sony's database for Canadian SPs does not include Rogers' Ignite TV STBs.

I have tried to set up the Sony remote using Shaw as my SP and t does seem to work and allows the Sony remote to change channels on my STB (this is a test in the setup process to ensure that the correct code is used for the SPs STB). However, the next step in the process is to enter a postal code so that the proper IPG can be loaded for the area in which one lives.

At the suggestion of some of the others members of this forum I tried using a friends area code in Thunder Bay where Shaw is still the local SP, but after clicking continue I got an error message and the process ended with a message saying t try again. I then repeated the process using the postal code for Shaw's head office in Winnipeg, even though the time zone issue would really screw things up, and got the same result.

I have tried to contact Sony Canada through their online support system and explained my problem but they have also misunderstood the issue and referred me to the same set up process outlined above. I wrote back trying to clarify the issue but have not heard back since. I think I may contact them by phone and speak to a live person.

User074
I'm Here A Lot
Just had my rogers Ignite TV installed. I had 3 xfinity xi6-a boxes hooked up to my tv's .. 2 of the tv's 4k and 1 1080P.. All three boxes were hooked up via 1gb ethernet . The picture quality on the 2 4K boxes were set to 2160P 60.. Overall the image quality is superior to Rogers Digital Cable. The channel menu is so much faster along with rogers on demand. Much better interface.. It does take about 1 second for the channels to load sometimes, but better than digital cable. I disabled the rogers wireless and use my Netgear orbi mesh network.. I got the gigabite Ignite and I am averaging 920mbs download and about 28mbs upload.. For my wifi , I am now averaging 480mbs download and about 27.60 mbs upload. The speed is there and You do notice it. I am using my harmony remotes to control the boxes with no issues.. Overall happy and the installation was quick and easy. Note with the ignite tv, your new telephone connection goes on the back of the Rogers Router.. I had it connected to the main telephone jack in the basement so to use existing telephone plugs in the house.