Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Had my install today!
Tech was really good and knowledgeable (well as much as they can be this early)

I need to head out shortly, so this will be just a QUICK overview, go into MUCH more detail about all the stuff when I get back later tonight.

Modem set up,  put at demarc.  Built in range was decent, but not great for my 3rd box, so installed a MESH wireless.  Seems to work well from what I can see.  (I am running NOT bridged right now.. as my RT-N66U is getting a little long in the tooth.)  I was able to get 300+/25 on wireless (on 500u).  Wired seems fine.

X1 boxes are TINY, like android box sized.  
Seem to work well though, VERY fast to respond.  Recording work.  Playback works.  Playback via cell/ipad works.
Cant seem to find where to change the wifi network right now.. will ask the concierge when I talk to them tomorrow.

Again, will write a much larger review later tonight.  If you have questions, let me know and I can try and see/check about it.

*Edited Labels*

1,081 REPLIES 1,081

Re: Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

J3EBS
I've Been Here Awhile
My plan is the full gigabit package (which in and of itself doesn't mean anything as that's just a theoretical speed).

My setup involves the modem connected with a 1 metre coax cable from the wall, on the floor beside a TV stand with open side panels. The XI6 is placed on the bottom shelf of the TV stand, no more than 2 metres from the modem. I don't have any WiFi routers, bridges, eero devices, etc. at all.

qwerk007
I Plan to Stick Around

Had my install a couple of weeks ago.  This early on they are being careful on the setup and making sure the Wi-Fi signal strength is good to all the boxes.  Several reboots initially to get all the updates and get things registered.  I can do all this myself but prefer Rogers doing it as any issues will point back to their install and not mine.  Also, right now you get a 12 month credit for Netflix UHD which is $167.00.  So I don't see the big deal on paying for the install as pretty much everybody pays for Netflix nowadays, so I see it as a wash.  We had an issue the 2nd day where an update went bad.  Concierge put me over to support and they got it up and running right away.  Even though it was fixed they still sent a tech out to check on it the next day and to make sure my speeds were good.  Totally satisfied with this so far and a relief to get rid of that CODA mess of a router. 

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

That should eliminate distance, etc. 🙂
That being said, there could be interference, but that would then be likely effecting more devices as well then.

So could be that specific channel issues, if it wasnt happening on every one of them..

If your that close, and if nothing is plugged into the modem, you could always plug in wired?
Would eliminate any wireless issues 

@qwerk007, just to point out, the Hitron CODA-4582 is an Intel Puma 7 modem.  The Ignite TV Service Arris XB6 is an Intel Puma 7 modem.  They're all built on the same Software Development Kit, with some variations which reflect the particular model of chipset that is used.  The Arris XB6 is the telephony version of the modem, which has telephone ports embedded.  The other major difference is the in the wifi chipset, Hitron uses a Qualcomm Atheros  chipset supporting a 4x4 5 Ghz wifi antenna set, while Arris uses a Quantenna chipset supporting an 8x8 5 Ghz antenna set.  In theory the Quantenna wifi chipset should be far superior in terms of its max data rates, but, no one, other than the Rogers engineers knows whats enabled in the modems and what isn't.  Same goes for the rest of the modem capabilities, end users have no idea of whats enabled and what isn't.  

Edit:  Almost forgot.  There is a Technicolour XB6 which is has a Broadcom BCM-3390 chipset, that is just entering service.  Anyone who is doing a new install these days might just get the Technicolour version of the XB6 instead of the Arris Puma 7 version.  Basically its a . shoot, just depends on whats in the van on that particular day.  I expect the Technicolour version to be a much better modem than the Arris version.  Time will tell.  Anyone who is just receiving one of these modems should look at the product sticker at the bottom of the modem to determine which version they've received. 

dunkster
I've Been Here Awhile
I have the Harmony Ultimate and I called Harmony they helped me set up the Roger's Ignite Xfinity box. When you call their tech. support give them the info. that is on the bottom side of the box. Everything works the same as the Rogers Ignite remote with the exception of voice control as the Harmony Remote does not have that feature.
Hope this helps

j2pc
I Plan to Stick Around

Ignite TV and Internet speed load

Let's say I get 150Mbps does that speed get split between both internet and TV or does the TV part not consume from the internet speed? Would I need higher speed so there is enough for multiple TV watching devices and multiple internet users?

How is max internet speed affected and by how much or is it affected in the following scenarios:

1) If watching from set top box over ethernet to modem

2) If watching from set top box over wifi

3) If watching on mobile device and if it does used same internet speed what is the consumption rate for live HD show per device?

If I have 2 TVs is there another secondary device (set-top box)  that can be connected to TV. If so is it included and what is the cost? 

Is ignite TV accessible through browser for computer users or is it limited to an app on android/iOS?

Also bridged mode is pretty important to me (as it is more reliable for me) so does anyone have any problem switching to ignite while on bridged mode with their own router?

Biollw
I'm an Advisor

Yes watching TV consumes portion of the 150mg Internet regardless of connection type, wired or wifi.

One X6i is included with your subscription additional ones are $10 per month. Same units for all tv.

I do not know how much is consumed when watching a show. I know 4k can be a max of 25mg. So hd is way less than that.

Ignite tv has an app and also through web browser. You can watch your recorded shows and even download them to your device  to watch off line.

Good luck. 

Bridge mode works fine except rogers will not support your devices if in bridge mode.

I am bridged with my own router. All 3 of my devices are wired and work 100%.

gisuck
I'm a Reliable Contributor

So, I made the move to remove the bridge mode and use the XB6 as my gateway appliance, and I'm wondering of it's hardware capabilities.

Originally, I was bridged with a FortiGate 60D and WRT1900AC (in bridge mode) for the wireless. It works great except the 60D was not designed for processing IPv6 traffic (it's that old). So instead of using the NPU (network processing unit) for the traffic, it uses the CPU. As such, IPv6 will cap out around 150mbps. Aside from that, the setup was golden.

The problem is that I have a lot of devices on my network. Typically 13 active at any given time, but I have 25-30 devices that can be connected. And since moving over to using XB6 as the gateway, I get periods of massive packet loss. I mean, it could be bad timing, but since making the change over Wednesday night, it seems to have been non-stop. I can pull up my SamKnows logs showing this kind of loss as well.

If it continues, I might go back to my FortiGate setup. 

@gisuck are you able to attribute those packet loss periods to a specific time of day, or possibly to anything that you might be doing on your local LAN? 

gisuck

Unfortunately, no. It'll give me spotty packetloss for about 2-3 mins in a 15 min span and then goes away. TV's will freeze on a picture, or repeat 5-10 seconds of video, or go black is when you first notice. It'll fix itself and then come back, then fix it self, come back until eventually it goes away.

While I don't see packetloss on IPv6 traffic on traces to Google, it definitely shows up on IPv4 traffic starting at my cable modem's gateway IP address, not the cable modem's IP address. (The 2nd hop).

Ok, for now, what you can do is run a continuous ping to the second hop which will be the Cable Modem Termination System (CMTS).  At this point I'm more interested in the packet loss.  So, just to make sure I'm clear on the instructions, run a trace to anywhere, tracert -4 www.google.com   The first IP address will be the modem, the second IP address will be the CMTS, assuming of course that the modem is running in Gateway mode.  Ping that second IP address and let it run for 24 hours.  At the end of 24 hours, stop the test and have a look at the loss statistics.  You shouldn't have any more than 0.1% packet loss.  Thats a personal opinion based on my test results.  If that loss is much higher, then you most likely have some problem with your external cabling or connectors. 

You can also run this in IPV6, just use:   tracert -6 www.google.com   to run the trace using IPV6

If you run this with Pingplotter, using the CMTS as a target IP address, the plot will be time stamped which might help in the troubleshooting.  You don't have to buy Pingplotter as it will run for 14 days in Pro mode and then kick down into a limited freebie mode if you don't buy a pro or standard licence.  

gisuck

I can already tell you it's pretty bad. https://imgur.com/a/6kcoHq8

Peter17
I've Been Here Awhile

I had Rogers Ignite installed . I have had no problem with the internet, television but home phone has problems . Where to begin, well when the phone rings it resets the phones time 15 minutes ahead. I called Rogers about this and I am not making this up, I was told that my neighbour comes into my apartment and does this for a joke . I must add that since then the technical department has admitted that quite a few people have complained about this.

Second issue, some incoming calls are not coming through. A technician was dispatched to my residence and I was told that the issue lies with my telephone. I was talked into replacing both my telephones at a cost of over $300. The problem still persisted and I replaced two perfectly good telephones for nothing. I was told that I will be compensated for my loss and that a senior technician will now be dispatched to look into this. I will wait and see what happens next week after the third visit to my apartment looking into this matter.

Lurker
I'm a Senior Advisor
Your $150 "consierge" fee at work!

RichardF
I Plan to Stick Around
Any know if that is for DRM reasons or some quirk of their architecture?

RichardF
I Plan to Stick Around
In my case a preliminary quick look suggests Ignite would be $10-$20 a month cheaper.

RichardF
I Plan to Stick Around
Outstanding. I have been looking for a solution to the "out of sync" problem for ages. Will try this ASAP.

RichardF
I Plan to Stick Around
Seems like the problem is defining what "off" means.

The Nextbox does not really turn off... it will record programs whil it is "off" (just as well!).

I never (well hardly ever) switch my desktop off for example so that syncing , remote access etc. continues. But the power management will turn the screen off etc etc .

RichardF
I Plan to Stick Around
Will that also dim the room lights? (My watch Netflix activity currently starts the DVD player- which is what connects to the internet in my theatre set up - turns on the receiver and sets the right input, turns on the TV and dims the lights. ). Does the rogers remote control the receiver?

RichardF
I Plan to Stick Around
This is probably a silly question, but what happens if (when?) Rogers reorganises the menus?

qwerk007
I Plan to Stick Around

Thanks @Datalink.

Even with the internals much the same, the experience is completely different.  My 4582 would lose connectivity every 4 to 5 minutes and throughput via multiple test sites never topped 200Mbps (all main devices are hardwired to a gig managed switch). The line to the house was in spec as were the readings at the 4582 in the house.  With the new Arris (model shows as Arris) I have not had a single drop and have been hitting 750-890Mbps on tests (more importantly, Fortnite and Netflix work for my kids).  I had 3 techs including a senior to the house and was told that the plant upgrade to support Ignite TV meant they increased the resistance on the up-link. In their testing there was one specific negotiation on the modem that kept failing due to the resistance, but I can't remember what it was called.  The senior tech told me to move to Ignite TV and the issue will go away, according to him that is what was killing my 4582 as it continually had to renegotiate.  So, something must be changed at least on the acceptable tolerances side as other than updates, I haven't gone down once.  Will keep my fingers crossed as I like the Ignite TV and its features.  Thanks for the info on the WiFi, good to know what has changed.