Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Had my install today!
Tech was really good and knowledgeable (well as much as they can be this early)

I need to head out shortly, so this will be just a QUICK overview, go into MUCH more detail about all the stuff when I get back later tonight.

Modem set up,  put at demarc.  Built in range was decent, but not great for my 3rd box, so installed a MESH wireless.  Seems to work well from what I can see.  (I am running NOT bridged right now.. as my RT-N66U is getting a little long in the tooth.)  I was able to get 300+/25 on wireless (on 500u).  Wired seems fine.

X1 boxes are TINY, like android box sized.  
Seem to work well though, VERY fast to respond.  Recording work.  Playback works.  Playback via cell/ipad works.
Cant seem to find where to change the wifi network right now.. will ask the concierge when I talk to them tomorrow.

Again, will write a much larger review later tonight.  If you have questions, let me know and I can try and see/check about it.

*Edited Labels*

1,081 REPLIES 1,081

Re: Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

RichardF
I Plan to Stick Around

From a quick look the monthly fee for Ignite looks like it's in the $160 - $230 range (plus HST) depending on download speed for internet and the number of specialty channels.   Also includes something called a home phone whatever that is 😀

Id have to compare to my current bill (for TV+internet) I'm guessing it's higher but not by an order of magnitude.  

No idea if it actually works. 🤔

if they start offering deals to switch may be worth considering.   I would need to better understand just what the app does.  Also need to compare the cloud storage against the PVR capacity.  The one year limit is a problem.   They really need to have some sort of download to computer drive type of capability.  

@RichardF wrote:

From a quick look the monthly fee for Ignite looks like it's in the $160 - $230 range (plus HST) depending on download speed for internet and the number of specialty channels.   Also includes something called a home phone whatever that is 😀

Id have to compare to my current bill (for TV+internet) I'm guessing it's higher but not by an order of magnitude.  

if they start offering deals to switch may be worth considering.   I would need to better understand just what the app does.  Also need to compare the cloud storage against the PVR capacity.  The one year limit is a problem.   They really need to have some sort of download to computer drive type of capability.  

Yes, it does work 🙂  Many people here have it already.

The app itself, is a bit of a combination of things.  Sort of a mix of some of their older apps, the RoD, Anyplace TV, etc.

While on your internal rogers network, you should be able to watch about 90+% of the channels, live on the app just as you would on the TV. If external (cell, other than rogers network), your live channel watching drops (many of the non rogers owned ones, a lot of the bell ones).  Can watch any of the On Demand stuff.
Right now it doesnt allow setting of recordings, etc.  BUT, it can play back any of your cloud PVR recorded items.  You set last night to record show XYZ, you can then watch it today on your phone, etc.

The cloud storage amount, is the same amount of storage you would get with a regular nextbox 3.  If you run a multi PVR household right now though? Yes might be less.

As for the 1 year limit... while i understand the people that do potentially want to keep things 'forever' on there.. 
Technically.. we have no rights to.
The PVRs have never been designed as a permanent storage thing.  They are meant to record something to watch a little later, delete, and record something else.  Not store forever.
And as for the way of backing up to PC, etc.. No they are not going to easily do that.  Why?
Because, we dont own the content.
What we pay for with any TV subscription, is the rights to be able to WATCH the show.  We dont 'own' a copy of it, like when you buy a movie.  
So technically we should not have a permanent copy of it. 

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@RichardF wrote:

That's about the crux of it.  I received a private invitation through this board to Ignite TV back in June.  No special offer or deal, just the opportunity to be a early adopter. The high cost over what I have now and having to switch ISPs  nixed it for me. Currently there are is no monetary incentive to switch, just the wow factor of new technology.  Perhaps when Rogers wants all customers to switch from conventional cable and PVRs, there may be something.

Home phone? You're kidding, right? That's just your landline coming through cable internet so it won't work when the power is out. :Smiley Mad.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

dunkster
I've Been Here Awhile

@JeromeM wrote:

I had my install on June 9th as well, I went ahead with it even though the fee was $150 which did seem a little bit high, also the programming to me is pretty expensive as I had decent discounts on my previous package and no discounts on this stuff now. I had 100u Internet before which was perfectly fine, 500u sounds a little crazy and I'm sure affects the price but I'm sure they are only offering this to ensure performance is good.

Anyways, install went well he put the Modem in my living room as that's where my previous one was. Though my home phone was at the demarc before so now we just plugged the home phone into the modem so it works (Panasonic wireless phones so I have 1 base and 3 extra phones) but my alarm that was connected to the phone line at the demarc isn't working anymore......awesome only found out after when the alarm company called me 😞

One thing I didn't like was that I had my previous modem in bridge mode and I have 4 x Google wifi Access points. The tech told me the TV boxes can only communicate to their modem, which is clearly false as stated above when they install their Eero Mesh they put it in bridge mode. Also when you look at the settings of the TV boxes it shows what network they are connected to. Even the box in the master bedroom which is 1 floor directly above the modem says weak signal :S

What I need to figure out is how to change the modem to bridge mode and get the TV boxes onto my regular home network. This is pretty straight forward as long as they are all on the same network all should work. Hoping my Concierge will help.

The other thing that is annoying is I have a Google home with a SmartThings Hub and Harmony Hub and I couldn't find this new TV box in the Harmony App so now I can't really control everything like I used to. Hopefully this will update shortly and be available, not really a Rogers problem I know.

I did find that the picture quality wasn't good on 2 of my TV's and after playing with the TV Box settings I noticed they were all set to 720p picture so once I changed it to the max available for each TV it was much better, just an FYI in case someone sees that. Other then that I didn't have too much time to play with it, seems really fast though which is good and App seems good too.

I will update once I have more details on bridge mode.

Regarding Harmony Remote:

I have the Harmony Ultimate and called Harmony ..they set it up with me and seems to work no problem, also set up favourites on Harmony Remote ..no problem

Google Home : can turn on and off tv and sound system through Harmony but can't seem to change channels through Harmony through Google Home unless I am  not saying the voice commands correctly.

Hope this helps..

@OLDYELLR wrote:

Home phone? You're kidding, right? That's just your landline coming through cable internet so it won't work when the power is out. :Smiley Mad.

Thats a potential outage with just about ANY VOIP type phone system.  
But its becoming one of the most popular methods of just about ANY POTS provider other than Bell.

But as many have said in this thread.. home phone.. most people are not worrying about it at all anymore at all to begin with.. 

And as well.. while I personally know a bunch of people who still have home phone.  The majority of them, even with Bell, cant use the phone anyways with the power out.  Why?
The majority of people have wireless multi phone systems in their home.  Which require power to run at all 😛

OLDYELLR
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Gdkitty wrote:

And as well.. while I personally know a bunch of people who still have home phone.  The majority of them, even with Bell, cant use the phone anyways with the power out.  Why?
The majority of people have wireless multi phone systems in their home.  Which require power to run at all 😛

I would not agree that most people now have Internet based home phones, but certainly most have cordless phones that require power. For that very reason I still have a couple of corded ones and even an old rotary phone that just needs a shot of WD-40 to make it work. My family live on their, but still don't want me to remove the landline.

Rogers PayGo. Location: S-W Ontario

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

There are, of course, options.

1. Retain an old corded phone that works without electricity. The Bell (and Rogers) lines supply enough power for these to work over the telephone line.

2. Plug the base station of any cordless phone into a UPS. I recommend that people have at least one UPS for: any PVRs, Cordless Phone base station, Computers, etc.  If you have a Rogers modem, then that also needs to have battery backup and/or plugged into a UPS.  (I'm not sure quite how that works with the new IgniteTV, but perhaps plugging the main box into a UPS will suffice.

rblaiklock
I've Been Here Awhile

So I’ve been on Ignite for a few weeks now and all has been good. Best of all SWMBO has figured it out and given it the thumbs up for the voice search. 

My only beef is that Space TV is on a higher level package and i can’t flex it in. I knew that going in, but it’s the only channel I miss. 

and I miss the clock.  

one strange problem ...

on on a few occasions I have had a live show paused for an extended period (5 minutes or more). After a while it starts playing on its own and can’t be paused anymore. Similarly pushing rewind doesn’t have any effect. 

Pushing the button on the remote causes the symbol to appear on the tv but nothing actually happens

but if I watch for a while, I can then pause and all is fine. 

ive tried rebooting, but the problem is back tonight. 

Very strange. 

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@rblaiklock wrote:

...on on a few occasions I have had a live show paused for an extended period (5 minutes or more). After a while it starts playing on its own and can’t be paused anymore. Similarly pushing rewind doesn’t have any effect.  Pushing the button on the remote causes the symbol to appear on the tv but nothing actually happens 

Are you beyond the end of the programme in actuality when this happens. If you are into the time-frame of the next programme, that would explain it. I've often said that instead of pressing "pause" to pause live TV, press the record button instead. This way the programme will be properly recorded and you'll be able to go back and watch it from your recorded list if anything happens, like you not coming back to the room for an hour or so, etc..

rblaiklock
I've Been Here Awhile
no, in fact last night it was only 5 or 10 minutes into the show we were watching.

cgoncalves1982
I've Been Around

Sorry tried to search this massive thread but couldn't locate a recent answer..

Does anyone know if you can download the Ignite TV App onto an android box via the Goggle Play Store and watch tv via that method on a TV inside your home.

I just can't justify $10/month for extra boxes for TV locations that we barely ever watch TV on but do about 2-5 times a month. I need to cover 4 tv locations and was thinking 2 Rogers boxes and 2 android boxes.

Appreciate any insight..

While casting my cell phone screen on my Chromecast, I attempted to use the Ignite app to watch a program. It said "sorry this feature is not available on this device in this mode."  You may be able to extend your notebook/desktop computer display via HDMI to your TV with the ignite app but not casting it not can I cast it using my Samsung TV and Samsung cell by mirroring it.

@cgoncalves1982 wrote:

Does anyone know if you can download the Ignite TV App onto an android box via the Goggle Play Store and watch tv via that method on a TV inside your home.

No you cannot.  One person was able to sideload onto Nexus - see:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/TV/Rogers-Ignite-TV-Installation-Experiences-Questions/m-p/4271...

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@Biollw wrote:

While casting my cell phone screen on my Chromecast, I attempted to use the Ignite app to watch a program. It said "sorry this feature is not available on this device in this mode."  You may be able to extend your notebook/desktop computer display via HDMI to your TV with the ignite app but not casting it not can I cast it using my Samsung TV and Samsung cell by mirroring it.

AFAIK You can't cast or use HDMI at this time.  These are rights restrictions.

RichardF
I Plan to Stick Around
Isn't the issue always what happens when things don't work as expected. This way it's their problem. :))

RichardF
I Plan to Stick Around

I'm guessing 10% is low but agree it's probably well under 50% CURRENTLY.  But more and more people will have things like wireless lights (Lutron seems to be going gang busters), and of course all the other devices in the media room.  

Without Harmony, we'dhave eight  remotes in the basement (Sharp TV, onkyo Home Theatre Receiver, rogers box, NAD audio amp, Samsung DVD player, Mission CD player, Wii, Squeezebox). 

This is could be a deal breaker.   The thing with Harmony is the combination of a small remote and a mobile app that handles all functions (including config etc) on all devices.   Plus the lights.  

RichardF
I Plan to Stick Around

This sounds workable.   Any one else got Harmony Smart remote to work?

RichardF
I Plan to Stick Around
It's gone for good due to the Comcast TiVo legal spat. There's another thread on this. Poor due diligence by Rogers when they decided to outsource the tech for the existing (cable) stuff.

J3EBS
I've Been Here Awhile
Has anyone been having issues with channels not being able to maintain an HD (1080p) signal? Lately I have barely been able to get anything above a blurry, grainy image. There's nothing else in my house using anything more than ~5Mbps of bandwidth, and this is an extremely annoying issue to have with a "premium" platform.

I should note, I know that some channels don't broadcast HD, I know some TVs aren't capable of it, etc. These are not my issues. My box has a 1 metre direct line of sight to the modem.

Datalink
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@J3EBS this always brings up the question, is this a cable problem, or is this a wifi problem or both.  I'd call tech support and ask the CSR to run a signal check on the modem, just to see if there is anything afoot.  

Beyond that, I'd look at the wifi environment to see if you're fighting with the neighbours for wifi channel usage.  Consider loading one of the following wifi scanners onto a laptop to check out your wifi environment.

inSSIDer Lite:  Requires a freebie account set up to use it.  That is displayed when you follow the download link:

https://www.metageek.com/products/inssider/free/?utm_source=MetaGeek+Customers&utm_campaign=d4c1da8a...

Lizard Systems wifi scanner:

https://lizardsystems.com/wi-fi-scanner/

A freebie home user licence can be obtained by using the Get Licence link for the Wifi Scanner on the following page:

https://lizardsystems.com/purchase/

Acrylic wifi scanner which is also free:

https://www.acrylicwifi.com/en/

Are you running the tv on a 5 Ghz network, and if so, is it in the channel 149 to 161 range?  Those channels run at 1 watt max which is the highest transmit power allowed by Industry Canada.  Beyond that, the question is, how many other networks are on the same channel, all fighting for transmit time?

I have not been seeing the same thing on mine.. though may not be watching the same channels, so cant discount the channel being a problem.

These boxes work pretty much like netflix. 
If you are not able to get a fast enough mbps stream to the box, it will use a lower bitrate stream and be lower quality.

As datalink said, could be a number of things.
First thing, would be that the box is not getting enough signal.
Not sure how your setup is network wise there (just the Arris modem, arris + erro, bridged, etc).

To be able to get the service,  your plan should be high enough that you shouldnt be using all your download bandwidth.  (unless there is an issue that your not getting your full speed at those times)

There is not heavy upload at all?  Cloud backup, someone streaming to twitch, etc?
Choking out the upstream i can see effect the download.