Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Had my install today!
Tech was really good and knowledgeable (well as much as they can be this early)

I need to head out shortly, so this will be just a QUICK overview, go into MUCH more detail about all the stuff when I get back later tonight.

Modem set up,  put at demarc.  Built in range was decent, but not great for my 3rd box, so installed a MESH wireless.  Seems to work well from what I can see.  (I am running NOT bridged right now.. as my RT-N66U is getting a little long in the tooth.)  I was able to get 300+/25 on wireless (on 500u).  Wired seems fine.

X1 boxes are TINY, like android box sized.  
Seem to work well though, VERY fast to respond.  Recording work.  Playback works.  Playback via cell/ipad works.
Cant seem to find where to change the wifi network right now.. will ask the concierge when I talk to them tomorrow.

Again, will write a much larger review later tonight.  If you have questions, let me know and I can try and see/check about it.

*Edited Labels*

1,081 REPLIES 1,081

Re: Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

@Capnrush  I am sure you would prefer not having to go to tech support again, but you situation seems unique.

As the reality is that this product has only been in production distribution for about a month now - prior to that it was a soft rollout to staff, then a soft roll out with no advertising and priced to limit numbers and no promotions and no 150, and only recently has it begun advertising, small promotions like Netflix, and availability of 150 speed, so it really remains a very new product, and so it is important that tech support knows this is going on, and probably that you get a ticket opened on your issue as you are now into your second pass of a tech getting involved.

I strongly recommend, that although here on the forum you can get lots of tips on the unsupported ideas like bridging and others, and that some of the glitches people have experienced them and know how to get around them, it is important that the basic operation of the product when it goes wrong that Rogers is aware of them all.  In that way, they can build their support documents, and maybe even like shaw have a basic manual for the product.

Hope you can get the issue fixed.  I am not currently a user of the product - I am still of the old school where I didn't get a new OS or product from MS until it had been around for a year.

I feel the same way about new technology - all the best in getting your issue fixed.

Just my two cents.

Bruce

Nick_W
I Plan to Stick Around

@StatsMan wrote:

@jainkumar wrote:

Rogers Ignite modem with Google Wifi?

Has anyone been able to do disable and use there own wifi modem.

Reading other posts people say they are disabling the wifi so I’m assuming it’s possible but want to know if someone has done this yet.

As @kibosh has said you can bridge the Xi6-A modem/router, but Rogers will not support your TV set top boxes if their modem is bridged. However, WiFi on the Xi6-A can be disabled and once it is disabled you can use your own router (using the same SSID as the Xi6-A) to distribute the WiFi signal throughout you home. I have my system setup in this way, using two Asus RT-AC68U routers set up as AiMesh routers

You don’t have to bridge the modem (the Xi6-A is the set top box by the way, not the modem), you can just disable the WiFi on the modem and connect your own router. The internet will be behind two NAT’s, which can cause problems sometimes, but mostly doesn’t.

somewhere in this monster thread there are instructions on how to change the ssid the set top boxes connect to.

BS
I'm a Senior Advisor

What the Rogers people really need to be saying is "we don't support bridging or turning off the wifi, some people may have been able to do so and reported on the community forum, but Rogers will not support any issues with Ignite TV if you have changed the original configuration set up by the installers or advised by tech support."

Lots can be achieved as you have seen in the posting, sometimes straight forward, sometimes not, but if things go wrong, you may be going back to the original configuration and settings.

The issue of WIFI, again, the CSR should be saying, the tech may suggest the addition of wall to wall feature (or mesh network modules)"

So, you will get some answers from people on how to do it, but although the person you spoke to said it can't be done, this is definitely not true in most cases and people here can support you for most set ups, but there still is the risk that you may not be able to get it work, and you will have to go with the Rogers install configuration.

Hope that guides you - others will jump in too.

By the way, if you went with the Blue guys, they don't support it either, but it can be done, although not always predictably.

The business intent of this model is that they provide TV, Internet, Mesh extenders, and home security all through one modem, all driven primarily by WIFI, with this supposedly powerful modem gateway with MIMO and Wave technology - Wave is turned off as far as we know, and we don't know the status of whether MIMO is turned on or not as Rogers has not released any specs on just what is enabled or not.

By doing so, once set up, they can manage all your services (the basics that they provide to residential services) via access into the modem gateway - by bipassing their wifi and bridging to your own router, they no longer have direct access to manage the devices for trouble shooting.  So they discourage it by saying that it is not supported, and in some cases, may even be saying it can't be done.

Bruce

Bruce

Nick_W
I Plan to Stick Around

@shives101 wrote:

hi there, are you controlling the new box with IR? we install control4 systems and use IR buds on the front of the boxes to control them. I need to know if this is possible or not

Cheers

Matthew

Yes you can, I’m using a harmony hub, and a Slingbox 500 both controlling the Xi6 via IR. The harmony has the profile for the Xi6, but I’m using the X1 profile for the Slingbox. The pronto codes are available if you google around. The normal remote is RF, but IR works as well.

@Capnrush wrote:

Ignite TV Freezing

The installation and general operation went well. However, since then I find that TV transmission freezes about every 10 minutes for about a minute. I had techs in and they found that the boxes were "not paired" and "not connected". This was fixed but the freeze of the transmission continues regardless of channel being watched. Very annoying!

Any solutions in the community before I call tech support AGAIN!

Hmm..

Dont see this issue with mine like ever since day one (and I had one of the first installs, at least of people on here)

My guess.. is its maybe signal related? Not strong enough to the box itself.

Capnrush
I've Been Here Awhile

That was my first thought also. The on line tech seemed to confirm this also by saying that it also appeared weak. However, the tech who visited ran a couple of tests and indicated the signal was strong. So, who knows.....

are you using just the Arris modem only?

Or did they install the Eero range extenders, etc??

I know on the Eero app, it will show each wireless connected device, and shows the signal strength, as well as to which access point they are connecting to.

Hello @shives101,

Thank you for joining the Rogers Community Forums and congratulations on your first post! 😃

I can understand how important it is to have all of the information about a system before making the switch so you can avoid compatibility headaches.

The Xi6 Ignite TV set-top boxes are controlled by RF and not IR. While the remote is capable of both RF and IR in order to control other equipment, the boxes themselves are only compatible with RF. The Control4 system using IR buds you are using may not be compatible.

@Nick_W - IR will only work to control the Xi6 if you use a Harmony remote w/ the Harmony Hub. According to this Blog Post (it is a bit dated but still seems accurate) from Logitech, the Harmony Hub actually sends out the RF signal and not the remote. As a result, any IR only system will be unable to control the Xi6 box without an RF component.

I hope this helps you and others who are considering making the switch to Ignite TV. It is a versatile system so I am hoping there is a way to make it work with your Control4 system!

RogersTony

"Xi6 if you use a Harmony remote w/ the Harmony Hub"

FYI: I have a Harmony One with NO hub and it works.

StatsMan
I Plan to Stick Around

@Biollw wrote:

"Xi6 if you use a Harmony remote w/ the Harmony Hub"

FYI: I have a Harmony One with NO hub and it works.

Then you must have line-of-sight to the Xi6. If the Xi6 is in a cabinet behind a door then you need a hub and a blaster to transmit the IR signals to the hub

That the box has IR.. anything which is programmable with IR codes and pointed towards a device, should in theory be able to work.

As long as the IR transmission device part is pointed at the IR receiver part.

Nick_W
I Plan to Stick Around

@RogersTony wrote:

Hello @shives101,

Thank you for joining the Rogers Community Forums and congratulations on your first post! 😃

I can understand how important it is to have all of the information about a system before making the switch so you can avoid compatibility headaches.

The Xi6 Ignite TV set-top boxes are controlled by RF and not IR. While the remote is capable of both RF and IR in order to control other equipment, the boxes themselves are only compatible with RF. The Control4 system using IR buds you are using may not be compatible.

@Nick_W - IR will only work to control the Xi6 if you use a Harmony remote w/ the Harmony Hub. According to this Blog Post (it is a bit dated but still seems accurate) from Logitech, the Harmony Hub actually sends out the RF signal and not the remote. As a result, any IR only system will be unable to control the Xi6 box without an RF component.

I hope this helps you and others who are considering making the switch to Ignite TV. It is a versatile system so I am hoping there is a way to make it work with your Control4 system!

RogersTony

Sorry, this is not true, both RF and IR work at the same time. The harmony hub is using IR to control the Xi6-A, and the XR11 uses RF (when paired), both work at the same time. This is positively confirmed. I have also used an IR blaster with iTach Flex, and that works also. The Slingbox 500 I am using does not even have RF control, it uses IR exclusively, and that works at the same time as the RF paired XR11 remote as well.

The blog you linked actually confirms that the harmony hub cannot control RF devices, but uses IR only. The link from the Harmony remote to the hub is RF, but from the hub to the device is IR.

Just reporting my actual experience as opposed to theoreticals and blogs.

Nick_W
I Plan to Stick Around

Had a strange thing happen today.

My wife wanted to turn “The Social” on, so she voice activated “CTV Two”. This was wrong as it’s actually on CTV Two Atlantic, so she got Dr Phil.

OK, plan B, voice select “The Social”, it comes up as on now, on CTV2V (what’s”V”?), with a “play now on CTV2V” option selected. When she selected that option, it came up with E! On demand, and offered the option of “free SD”. When this was selected, “The Social” started playing from the start, but seems to be an older episode from E! On demand. Checking the guide to try to find out what channel it was showed channel 20 (CTV 2, Dr Phil). Pressing Info, showed “The Social, S5 E!”, but no further channel information, the “restart” option was available.

It would seem to me that voice searching for “The Social” should have come up with it on CTV2 Atlantic (which it seemed to do), but when selected, it should have switched to ch 127 (CTV2 Atlantic), not E! On demand.

If I voice selected CTV 2 Atlantic, the correct channel (127) came up, with the latest episode of “The Social” playing from the current point. This was a different episode to that selected via voice (what I think was E! On demand).

I think this was just a programming SNAFU, but I thought I would report it here, in case people have experienced other voice programming issues.

On the whole, the voice commands work well, this is the first error I have found.

Nick_W
I Plan to Stick Around

@Nick_W wrote:

@StatsMan wrote:
@Nick_W, I think I may have found a solution for you if you use Google Assistant, Google Home, a Google Home speaker or Google Home Mini speaker.

Check this out:

https://support.myharmony.com/en-ca/harmony-experience-with-google-assistant

Thanks, I already have Alexa set up with the harmony (and it generally works well).

But - I have made progress!

There are in fact discrete codes for on and off for the Xi6 set top box. The "All Power" button on the XR11 remote sends "Power Toggle", which has been changed to simply be power on (for the Xi6), but the original discrete code still work. I have tested them, and they work.

The codes are:

PRONTO CODE:
Xi6_POWER_ON            = 0000 006D 0012 0012 0008 0022 0008 0041 0008 001D 0008 006A 0008 0032 0008 0032 0008 002C 0008 0065 0008 020C 0008 0022 0008 003C 0008 001D 0008 001D 0008 0046 0008 0022 0008 001D 0008 001D 0008 0BEF 0008 0022 0008 0041 0008 001D 0008 006A 0008 0032 0008 0032 0008 002C 0008 0065 0008 020C 0008 0022 0008 0065 0008 0046 0008 001D 0008 0046 0008 0022 0008 001D 0008 001D 0008 0BEF
Xi6_POWER_OFF           = 0000 006D 0012 0012 0008 0022 0008 0041 0008 001D 0008 006A 0008 0032 0008 0032 0008 002C 0008 0065 0008 020C 0008 0022 0008 0041 0008 001D 0008 001D 0008 0046 0008 001D 0008 001D 0008 001D 0008 0BEF 0008 0022 0008 0041 0008 001D 0008 006A 0008 0032 0008 0032 0008 002C 0008 0065 0008 020C 0008 0022 0008 006A 0008 0046 0008 001D 0008 0046 0008 001D 0008 001D 0008 001D 0008 0BEF

Global cache (compressed):
POWER_ON = sendir,1:1,1,38000,1,37,8,34,8,65,8,29,8,106,8,50E,8,44,8,101,8,524A,8,60CC,8,70ACC,8,3055ABCDEEFGHAGJCJACCK
POWER_OFF = sendir,1:1,1,38000,1,37,8,34,8,65,8,29,8,106,8,50E,8,44,8,101,8,524ABCC,8,70CCC,8,3055ABCDEEFGHADICICCCJ

If you are using an iTach, the 

sendir,1:1,1

Will vary depending on the device, port and channel you are using. the actual code starts with the 38000 (base frequency).

The good news is that the Power Off command also resets the Menu, so that now there is a deterministic sequence to select Netflix!

Note: The power off command is not "standby" but the deeper power down that "Maximum Power savings" enables.

The sequence for a "Watch Netflix" activity would be:

1. Power off (Xi6)
  2. Power on (Xi6) - takes a couple of seconds to come up
  3. Select menu
  4. right, right, right etc to "Apps"
  5. OK
  6. "Down"
  7. "OK"

And Netflix should now open.

This could be incorporated into the Harmony menu system as TV off could include Xi6 POWER_OFF, and "Watch Netflix" would include Xi6 POWER_ON. Just like God intended.

The next step is to get the harmony to learn the codes for POWER OFF and POWER ON - which may be hard, as the Xfinity boxes use XMP-1 IR coding schemes, which are very difficult to capture. I can try sending the codes to Logitech in the hope that they may add them (but they may not do this).

I'll let you know if I have success (or not) getting the harmony to learn the Xi6 Power OFF (and ON) commands.

Update,

I submitted the codes to Logitech, and they tell me that they have added the codes for the A,B,C and D buttons to the Xi6-A profile, and are also updating the power configuration to include power on and off.

If anyone sets up a harmony hub/remote, can they confirm that these buttons are now available.

StatsMan
I Plan to Stick Around

@Nick_W the A,B,C,D buttons were added to the Harmony Hub database on July 28th per my request. I’m still hoping that they add voice control to the Harmony app🙄

• Added By
  • DateTue, 24 Jul 2018 21:33:12 GMT
  • Dear Christopher, Thank you for writing back with the outcome, please be advised that voice control is not supported by Harmony. In regards of the other commands, I copied the A, B, C , and D commands and mapped it to colored buttons. A - Red colored button B - Green colored button C - Yellow colored button D - Blue colored button Please sync your remote again to apply the adjustment once the remote synced, kindly turn on Watch TV activity and test the colored buttons. Looking forward for the outcome. Once again, thank you for taking the time to write to us. Feel free to reply to this email and I'll get back to you as soon as possible. For future reference your case reference number is 07132036. Please be advised that you will be receiving a short customer satisfaction survey once the case is solved. Your satisfaction means everything to us. Any feedback or suggestion from you will very much appreciated. Thank you. Best regards, John Andrew Logitech Customer Care.

• Added ByJohn Andrew B.
  • DateSat, 28 Jul 2018 21:35:47 GMT

StatsMan
I Plan to Stick Around

@Nick_W wrote:

Sorry, this is not true, both RF and IR work at the same time. The harmony hub is using IR to control the Xi6-A, and the XR11 uses RF (when paired), both work at the same time. This is positively confirmed. I have also used an IR blaster with iTach Flex, and that works also. The Slingbox 500 I am using does not even have RF control, it uses IR exclusively, and that works at the same time as the RF paired XR11 remote as well.

The blog you linked actually confirms that the harmony hub cannot control RF devices, but uses IR only. The link from the Harmony remote to the hub is RF, but from the hub to the device is IR.

Just reporting my actual experience as opposed to theoreticals and blogs.

@Nick_W Agreed. However, if both the Xi6-A and the Harmony hub are hidden in a cupboard and behind an opaque door, the XR11 uses RF to communicate with the Xi6-A and the blaster converts/transfersIR signals from the Harmony remote to the harmony hub which in turn sends an IR signal to the Xi6-A

At 9.05 PM last night lost all sound to all channels on Xi6-A. Had to reboot to get it back.

Weird.

Biollw
I'm an Advisor

And favorites does not work. If I add a channel to my favorites and change guide to favorites it will not show. If I change guide to free to me to is highlighted as a favorite but will not show on my favorites 

megtoff
I've Been Here Awhile

this might be a stupid question... I just schedule to have Rogers Ignite installed at the end of the month and was told to get a letter from my landlord (I live in a building) In case they need to drill holes... what could they possibly need to drill holes for? I mentioned this to my landlord and now she is boarderline freaking out 😞

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

@megtoff wrote:

...I live in a building...

Most people live in a building, rather than say a tent.  😉  Please explain what sort of structure - house, high rise apartment, townhouse, etc.

If you already have Rogers Cable, there should be no need for additional holes, however, if you don't, Rogers somehow needs to get the cable inside your residence.

megtoff
I've Been Here Awhile
I meant an apartment and not a house lol

It’s a low rise 3 floor building, Im just switching units and the install fee is waived if stalled during a move. I currently have regular Rogers cable with no problems or issues.

So it’s more for like legality reasons theyask for a letter of permission from landlord I guess?