Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Had my install today!
Tech was really good and knowledgeable (well as much as they can be this early)

I need to head out shortly, so this will be just a QUICK overview, go into MUCH more detail about all the stuff when I get back later tonight.

Modem set up,  put at demarc.  Built in range was decent, but not great for my 3rd box, so installed a MESH wireless.  Seems to work well from what I can see.  (I am running NOT bridged right now.. as my RT-N66U is getting a little long in the tooth.)  I was able to get 300+/25 on wireless (on 500u).  Wired seems fine.

X1 boxes are TINY, like android box sized.  
Seem to work well though, VERY fast to respond.  Recording work.  Playback works.  Playback via cell/ipad works.
Cant seem to find where to change the wifi network right now.. will ask the concierge when I talk to them tomorrow.

Again, will write a much larger review later tonight.  If you have questions, let me know and I can try and see/check about it.

*Edited Labels*

1,081 REPLIES 1,081

Re: Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

Nick_W
I Plan to Stick Around

@bluerobin wrote:

Why can I not watch anything on my android box with my newly installed Roger  Ignite Wireless when  I could previously 

Ok, you’ll have to explain more if you want a serious answer. Are you talking about some sort of app on your android box? Like the Anywhere TV app (which has been replaced by the Ignite TV app)?

By Ignite Wireless I assume you mean the new Ignite TV system (not ignite internet which is a different thing)?

StatsMan
I Plan to Stick Around

@Nick_W wrote:

I have a harmony elite with the hub. OK, give, how are you programming the remote to bring up a Netflix with one button?

You have to use the Logitech Harmony app on your desktop/notebook (downloadable from the Logitech/Harmony website) which allows you to assign an activity (watch Netflix) to a single button on your Companion/elite remote after syncing your hub through the desktop app. See the screenshot below of the app open on my desktop:

8D50E6F6-035A-4029-8A36-0D305329AC59.jpeg

StatsMan
I Plan to Stick Around

@Nick_W wrote:

@bluerobin wrote:

Why can I not watch anything on my android box with my newly installed Roger  Ignite Wireless when  I could previously 

Ok, you’ll have to explain more if you want a serious answer. Are you talking about some sort of app on your android box? Like the Anywhere TV app (which has been replaced by the Ignite TV app)?

By Ignite Wireless I assume you mean the new Ignite TV system (not ignite internet which is a different thing)?

You need to daownload the new Rogers Ignite TV app to watch live TV and recorded programmes. The old Rogers Anyplace TV app won’t work once you switch to Ignite TV since you no longer have a cable tv subscription. As I said above, you can watch all your subscribed live tv channels and any recordings but you cannot set recordings from the app

Nick_W
I Plan to Stick Around

@StatsMan wrote:

@Nick_W wrote:

I have a harmony elite with the hub. OK, give, how are you programming the remote to bring up a Netflix with one button?

You have to use the Logitech Harmony app on your desktop/notebook (downloadable from the Logitech/Harmony website) which allows you to assign an activity (watch Netflix) to a single button on your Companion/elite remote after syncing your hub through the desktop app. See the screenshot below of the app open on my desktop:

8D50E6F6-035A-4029-8A36-0D305329AC59.jpeg

Ok we are missing the point here. I know how to program a Harmony remote.

What I’m saying is that it isn’t possible to program the Harmony remote to switch to Netflix with one button (like a “Watch Netflix” activity). This is because there in no one button on the XR11 remote to switch to Netflix, you have to select it from the “apps” menu, and that depends on where you left the menu last time you used it (which is not deterministic).

Having said all this, it’s not a big deal, as you can just use the voice commands to bring up a Netflix program.

I was hoping someone had come up with an EFC code for the XR11 remote that gives a deterministic key sequence for the apps menu, but I guess not.

StatsMan
I Plan to Stick Around
My mistake 😊. I got the impression that you wanted to program the Harmony remote not map the Harmony remote to the XR11

Nick_W
I Plan to Stick Around

@StatsMan wrote:
My mistake 😊. I got the impression that you wanted to program the Harmony remote not map the Harmony remote to the XR11

The XR11 does map to the harmony, the Xi6 is now in the Logitech database. I was just hoping that someone had figured out a repeatable key sequence to bring up Netflix. I haven’t found one so far, but then I haven’t found a way to turn the TV box off either.

Not that it really matters, just something to figure out. Everything else works really well.

StatsMan
I Plan to Stick Around
@Nick_W, I think I may have found a solution for you if you use Google Assistant, Google Home, a Google Home speaker or Google Home Mini speaker.

Check this out:

https://support.myharmony.com/en-ca/harmony-experience-with-google-assistant

Nick_W
I Plan to Stick Around

@StatsMan wrote:
@Nick_W, I think I may have found a solution for you if you use Google Assistant, Google Home, a Google Home speaker or Google Home Mini speaker.

Check this out:

https://support.myharmony.com/en-ca/harmony-experience-with-google-assistant

Thanks, I already have Alexa set up with the harmony (and it generally works well).

But - I have made progress!

There are in fact discrete codes for on and off for the Xi6 set top box. The "All Power" button on the XR11 remote sends "Power Toggle", which has been changed to simply be power on (for the Xi6), but the original discrete code still work. I have tested them, and they work.

The codes are:

PRONTO CODE:
Xi6_POWER_ON            = 0000 006D 0012 0012 0008 0022 0008 0041 0008 001D 0008 006A 0008 0032 0008 0032 0008 002C 0008 0065 0008 020C 0008 0022 0008 003C 0008 001D 0008 001D 0008 0046 0008 0022 0008 001D 0008 001D 0008 0BEF 0008 0022 0008 0041 0008 001D 0008 006A 0008 0032 0008 0032 0008 002C 0008 0065 0008 020C 0008 0022 0008 0065 0008 0046 0008 001D 0008 0046 0008 0022 0008 001D 0008 001D 0008 0BEF
Xi6_POWER_OFF           = 0000 006D 0012 0012 0008 0022 0008 0041 0008 001D 0008 006A 0008 0032 0008 0032 0008 002C 0008 0065 0008 020C 0008 0022 0008 0041 0008 001D 0008 001D 0008 0046 0008 001D 0008 001D 0008 001D 0008 0BEF 0008 0022 0008 0041 0008 001D 0008 006A 0008 0032 0008 0032 0008 002C 0008 0065 0008 020C 0008 0022 0008 006A 0008 0046 0008 001D 0008 0046 0008 001D 0008 001D 0008 001D 0008 0BEF

Global cache (compressed):
POWER_ON = sendir,1:1,1,38000,1,37,8,34,8,65,8,29,8,106,8,50E,8,44,8,101,8,524A,8,60CC,8,70ACC,8,3055ABCDEEFGHAGJCJACCK
POWER_OFF = sendir,1:1,1,38000,1,37,8,34,8,65,8,29,8,106,8,50E,8,44,8,101,8,524ABCC,8,70CCC,8,3055ABCDEEFGHADICICCCJ

If you are using an iTach, the 

sendir,1:1,1

Will vary depending on the device, port and channel you are using. the actual code starts with the 38000 (base frequency).

The good news is that the Power Off command also resets the Menu, so that now there is a deterministic sequence to select Netflix!

Note: The power off command is not "standby" but the deeper power down that "Maximum Power savings" enables.

The sequence for a "Watch Netflix" activity would be:

1. Power off (Xi6)
  2. Power on (Xi6) - takes a couple of seconds to come up
  3. Select menu
  4. right, right, right etc to "Apps"
  5. OK
  6. "Down"
  7. "OK"

And Netflix should now open.

This could be incorporated into the Harmony menu system as TV off could include Xi6 POWER_OFF, and "Watch Netflix" would include Xi6 POWER_ON. Just like God intended.

The next step is to get the harmony to learn the codes for POWER OFF and POWER ON - which may be hard, as the Xfinity boxes use XMP-1 IR coding schemes, which are very difficult to capture. I can try sending the codes to Logitech in the hope that they may add them (but they may not do this).

I'll let you know if I have success (or not) getting the harmony to learn the Xi6 Power OFF (and ON) commands.

StatsMan
I Plan to Stick Around
WOW! You are way beyond me. What you are doing is cool but I am not a coder and have no idea how to implement the information that you have provided. I am quite happy with being able to turn the TV on/off and switching to Netflix using voice commands. The only difference is that when I use the Apple Home voice commands to watch Netflix, it switches me away from the Xi6 stb version of Netflix to the one built in to my Sony TV. It’s all relative though because once you’re in Netflix you still need to use a remote to choose your viewing selection.

Good luck in getting the Harmony to turn the stb on/off, but if you do manage to do that won’t you in effect be rebooting the stb every time you turn it back on ?

Nick_W
I Plan to Stick Around

So The harmony learned the power on and power off commands for the Xi6 with no problems (got it on the first try).

I have now changed my Xi6 power sequence so that the set top box (Xi6) powers off when “off” is selected on the Harmony remote, and powers up with the “Watch TV” or “Watch Netflix” activity (or any remote control activity).

Just to explain this, there are three levels of power off for the Xi6.

• power down (USB power unplugged) takes minute or so to come up
  • power off (takes about 10 seconds to come up)
  • standby (instant on with any button)

If you enable “power saver”, the Xi6 goes into standby if there is no remote control activity for 4 hours (after a warning message).

If you enable “Maximum Power Save” then the Xi6 goes into power off after 4 hours (instead of standby).

None of the power modes (except power on) are available from the XR11 remote control, but now you can add them to the harmony system, if you understand pronto hex codes, or iTach codes. I have codes for all the other buttons also (Including A,B,C, D buttons), but currently untested.

StatsMan
I Plan to Stick Around

I am having a problem viewing my recordings om my desktop computer using the ignitetv.rogers.com site. Every time I log in and try  to view a recording I get the following message:

Well that didn’t go as planned...

We’re having trouble playing this recording. We checked for this program On Demand but, unfortunately, it is not available. Please try watching another program.

I am able to watch the recordings on my TVs via the STBs and on the Ignite TV app but not on my desktop. Is anyone else experiencing this?

Just tested.
I am at work, on a bell business internet connection.

I am able to log into the ignite site, and play back videos just fine.

StatsMan
I Plan to Stick Around

Just tried again. Now I can’t stream anything at all. No recordings and no Live TV. When I try and watch a recording I get the same message that I posted before. When I try and stream live tv I get the message in the third screenshot; when I click on diagnostics I get the second and first screenshots respectively:5DA759B1-690D-4477-A552-3699C6E7099C.jpeg94D68704-A52A-4F2D-B648-FE6A0B5A418A.jpeg:

78870775-8705-4A2F-A7C2-A2517C2E3F30.jpeg

fgsdgsegfe
I Plan to Stick Around

Are you connecting through a VPN or using a US DNS\Proxy service?

StatsMan
I Plan to Stick Around

@fgsdgsegfe wrote:

Are you connecting through a VPN or using a US DNS\Proxy service?

Neither, watching at home connected to my home network. desktop is hard wired to the Xi6 via an Asus AC68-Uin AiMesh mode. The Xi6 is running in modem/router mode with WiFi disabled.

I have since rebooted tthe Xi6 and the Asus as well as a couple of the STBs. At first I wasn’t able to watch anything but now am able to stream live TV as well as all my recordings.

Rogers Ignite modem with Google Wifi?

Looking at getting Rogers Ignite TV. What I have currently is 500 gb Internet, Cable. I’ve disabled the network gateway so the Rogers internet all in one modem is actually just the modem the using google wifi to spend out wifi signal.

Speaking to someone at the Rogers about ignite tv. They said it wasn’t able to disable the wifi part in the new modem and if the wifi was bad would have to “rent” there eeri extenders which I told him why would I pay a ton for when it’s like 500 purchased right out.

Has anyone been able to do disable and use there own wifi modem.

Reading other posts people say they are disabling the wifi so I’m assuming it’s possible but want to know if someone has done this yet.

kibosh
I Plan to Stick Around
Yes. You can easily bridge the modem. When setting up the TV receivers you simply attach them to your personal wifi ssid from your router just like any other device. Works great!

Capnrush
I've Been Here Awhile

Ignite TV Freezing

The installation and general operation went well. However, since then I find that TV transmission freezes about every 10 minutes for about a minute. I had techs in and they found that the boxes were "not paired" and "not connected". This was fixed but the freeze of the transmission continues regardless of channel being watched. Very annoying!

Any solutions in the community before I call tech support AGAIN!

shives101
I've Been Around

hi there, are you controlling the new box with IR? we install control4 systems and use IR buds on the front of the boxes to control them. I need to know if this is possible or not

Cheers

Matthew

Canadavey
I've Been Around

Does anyone know how to change the network settings on the Arris Xi6-A set top box?

The tech that installed put a wifi booster in our bedroom to boost the 5G signal and my Son thought it would be fun to press the reset button.  So now I have to reprogram the booster and the set top box so that it picks up the signal from the booster.  I know if you go into the setup of the box you can see the network name it's on, but you can't easily change it.  I saw the tech selecting the WiFi network and putting the password in but I have no idea how he did it.

StatsMan
I Plan to Stick Around

@jainkumar wrote:

Rogers Ignite modem with Google Wifi?

Has anyone been able to do disable and use there own wifi modem.

Reading other posts people say they are disabling the wifi so I’m assuming it’s possible but want to know if someone has done this yet.

As @kibosh has said you can bridge the Xi6-A modem/router, but Rogers will not support your TV set top boxes if their modem is bridged. However, WiFi on the Xi6-A can be disabled and once it is disabled you can use your own router (using the same SSID as the Xi6-A) to distribute the WiFi signal throughout you home. I have my system setup in this way, using two Asus RT-AC68U routers set up as AiMesh routers