Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Had my install today!
Tech was really good and knowledgeable (well as much as they can be this early)

I need to head out shortly, so this will be just a QUICK overview, go into MUCH more detail about all the stuff when I get back later tonight.

Modem set up,  put at demarc.  Built in range was decent, but not great for my 3rd box, so installed a MESH wireless.  Seems to work well from what I can see.  (I am running NOT bridged right now.. as my RT-N66U is getting a little long in the tooth.)  I was able to get 300+/25 on wireless (on 500u).  Wired seems fine.

X1 boxes are TINY, like android box sized.  
Seem to work well though, VERY fast to respond.  Recording work.  Playback works.  Playback via cell/ipad works.
Cant seem to find where to change the wifi network right now.. will ask the concierge when I talk to them tomorrow.

Again, will write a much larger review later tonight.  If you have questions, let me know and I can try and see/check about it.

*Edited Labels*

1,081 REPLIES 1,081

Re: Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

Not that I have seen on mine at least.

I have the screen saver set pretty low time wise.  And while the wife is on the phone, she'll leave it there for a good 30 mins sometimes.  Havent experienced it locking on that.

Nick_W
I Plan to Stick Around

Got my install today. Tech wasn’t totally familiar with the set up, but we worked through it.

some odd things:

Xi6 boxes will only accept IPv6 addresses from the network (is this new?). The boxes are Ethernet wired (not WiFi), and will only work plugged directly into the modem (using a separate switch). If connected to my Unifi network, they do not obtain an IPv4 address (just stuck on 169.xxx bogus address). Will have to try enabling IPv6 on my Unifi network.

Boxes do not work if the modem is in bridge mode. Not sure why, but probably related to IPv6 addresses.

Slingbox not working (as expected - no component video). Remote control works, just not video. Will have to work round that at some point.

channels are moved around, so have to relearn some channel numbers (no biggy)

On the plus side:

picture quality is excellent.

Voice Remote works well

Channel changing is instant.

Everything is fast and responsive - shows how I had got used to the slow Navigatr response.

Harmony hub works properly (as does the harmony elite remote).

Harmony Alexa Skill works, voice control of the TV (via Alexa) works just like before (but faster).

Xi6 box has discrete on/off IR codes (finally!) can now easily turn TV and box on and off at the same time.

BBC Canada is in HD! (Is SD on the nextbox 3)

Home phone “just worked”.

Internet speed good (same as before).

I can’t figure out how to change the day on the Guide (to look up/record what is on tomorrow/next week/whenever) anyone know?

Will try to figure out the strange IPv6/IPv4 issue tomorrow, would really like the modem in bridge mode (otherwise it will be double NATing and basically just being in the way).

I’m trying an initial IPv6 set up with prefix length 64, and prefix ID of 0, anyone know if this is correct for Rogers?

Anyone know how to configure the boxes? (looks like IPv4 DHCP is off).  I can get into the diagnostic screen to check things out, but can’t change anything there.

Will update if I make progress tomorrow.

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Yeah, not sure if the boxes ONLY get IPv6 addresses.

But while they CAN be wired, they most definitely can be wifi connected, all 3 of mine are that way. (via the rogers Eero range extenders)

If your using your own wifi in bridged, its possible when/if its not outputing IPV6 could be why its not working on your wifi?

Biollw
I'm an Advisor

" how to change the day on the Guide (to look up/record what is on tomorrow/next week/whenever) anyone know"

When in the guide use the FF key ( >>) to advance one day at a time.

I have my 3 Xi6 wired to my network via 24 port gig switch, modem is in bridge mode and my Netgear Nighthawk is handing out IPv4 all works fine.

The Xi6 with not go into Network info when hardwired, only show  Wifi data such as signal strength, no other information. Only way to choose whether you want hardwire or Wifi, If you want hardwired connect CAT5 then power up. If Wifi then leave CAT5 not connected it will then prompt you for the Wifi SSID and password. 

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

One thing that I am not sure has been brought up, which i find very useful.

Just noticed just now using the WEB interface for the Ignite service
(https://ignitetv.rogers.com for those who arent aware what it is)

That any of the stuff you watch from the 'on demand', have a WATCHED, they will actually mark as you complete watching something, so you know which ones you have watched and which ones you havent.

I will have to check and see if this carries over to the box.. if they will show watched there as well.

Nick_W
I Plan to Stick Around

@Biollw wrote:

" how to change the day on the Guide (to look up/record what is on tomorrow/next week/whenever) anyone know"

When in the guide use the FF key ( >>) to advance one day at a time.

I have my 3 Xi6 wired to my network via 24 port gig switch, modem is in bridge mode and my Netgear Nighthawk is handing out IPv4 all works fine.

The Xi6 with not go into Network info when hardwired, only show  Wifi data such as signal strength, no other information. Only way to choose whether you want hardwire or Wifi, If you want hardwired connect CAT5 then power up. If Wifi then leave CAT5 not connected it will then prompt you for the Wifi SSID and password. 

Thanks for the FF tip.

Yes, have everything operating in bridged mode now, but it's very odd.

When we set this up yesterday, both Xi6 boxes were hard wired never WiFi connected. With the modem in bridged mode, this did not work (even when directly connected to the modem). With the modem in gateway mode, but the Xi6 connected directly to the modem (with Wifi off) everything worked.

So, today, tried the setup again, new Unifi switch arrived (my old one was full), modem in bridged mode - no go. Enabled IPv6 on my Unifi USG (fancy router), and confirmed that clients were getting IPv6 addresses, and could ping google etc via IP6 (ping -6 or ping6). Still no go. Finally set up wifi on the Xi6 boxes (disconnected hard wire connection, boot - select my SSID etc). Now everything works. Disabled IP6 on Unifi USG. Still everything works. Checking diagnostic page on Xi6 - has bogus ip address (169.xxx...). Plugged hard wired connection back in, reset Xi6, still works. Set up DHCP to assign a specific address to the Xi6's hard wired MAC address, reset again, still works.

Now the weird part, boxes come up, my Unifi controller shows them connected via WiFi (channel, speed etc), but no ip addresses. diagnostic display on the Xi6 shows WiFi status as connected, but ip address is still bogus 169.xxx address. Unifi controller also shows them connected on the hard wired ports, with data being consumed, ip addresses are odd, one shows the assigned ip, the other the bogus 169.xxx address. Both boxes do respond when pinging their assigned hard wired ip addresses.

IP6 is still disabled on my network, everything including Netflix works correctly though.

Have not tried re-enabling IP6 yet, as I don't really need it.

But for now, everything works, hard wired with modem in bridged mode. it seems that the boxes do need a WiFi configuration for something, or it just doesn't work (unless you are connected directly to the modem in gateway mode).

The only thing I can think of is that they are using some sort of unusual IP6 configuration (which their modem is set up for), and when I enable IP6 on my Unifi systems (using Prefix Delegation - which is the usual way), it's not set up the same way as it is on the Rogers modem/gateway. With IP6 disabled on the network, it falls back to IP4 in some sort of strange way that needs WiFi for some reason (even when hard wired).

Now, how to get slingbox to work...

Nick_W
I Plan to Stick Around

@Nick_W wrote:

Xi6 box has discrete on/off IR codes (finally!) can now easily turn TV and box on and off at the same time. 

Posed this too fast... no there are no discrete codes for power ON/OFF, in fact there is no code for off at all (just ON). That's right there is no possible way of turning the Xi6 box off from the remote. crazy as it seems.

The only way to turn the box off is to enable "power save mode", where it will turn off after some (unknown) period of inactivity, or going into the settings, selecting "hardware/power settings" and "power down now".

This seems to be the reasoning:

"Xfinity Remote All Power Button Does Not Turn TV Box On or Off

If you have programmed the remote to control your TV, the All Power button will turn your TV on and off. Your TV Box must always be powered on to perform regular functions (like software updates and DVR recordings). To turn off the TV Box, you must either press the Power button on the front panel of the box, configure the TV Box to go into Power Saver automatically or simply leave the TV Box on while turning off the TV.

Power Saver and X1 TV BoxThe TV and TV Box can sometimes get out of sync, with one turning on while the other is turning off. If this happens, press the TV Power button on your TV to turn your TV off. Then press the All Power button to sync the TV Box, TV, and audio device (if programmed). "

Of course the Xi6 does not have a power button on the front anyway. This means the "All Power" button and the "TV power" button both do exactly the same thing! This also means that when you shutdown for the night/work/whatever, the Xi6 box is still streaming data over the internet (24/7 unless you have "power saving enabled"), drawing whatever infinitesimal amount of extra power, clogging up data pathways etc. Also, if you were watching something on Netflix, or something you recorded, and you press "All Power" thinking to turn everything off - well it won't, your recording/Netflix etc. will continue to play to a turned off TV. The TV will power on wherever you left the box last (no "power on channel"), so it's really hard to automate any kind of harmony automatic key sequence (for instance activity "Watch Netflix"), as you have no known starting point - it's just "wherever you left it, unless it auto powers off.
No idea what genius came up with this. Seems to me the solution is two buttons, one for On and one for Off - instead of two ON buttons that do the same thing, but are labeled differently. But what do I know.
Oh well, I guess it couldn't all be good...

Biollw
I'm an Advisor

I don't know for sure but I think where the Xi6 is in screen saver mode it does not stream or else my data usage would be  higher.

I am only doing 6-14 gig per day. If it were streaming constantly then I think I would see a more even data usage per day. I will reset my router usage tonight before I go to bed and see what it is in the morning. This should tell me if my 3 Xi6 are streaming overnight. Really don't want to shut them off because they take so long to come back up.

DateUse MB
8/30/20186,759.00
8/29/20187,965.00
8/28/20189,376.00
8/27/201810,190.00
8/26/20189,778.00
8/25/20187,505.00
8/24/201814,448.00
8/23/201810,555.00

Nick_W
I Plan to Stick Around

See my post later on for how the power works on the Xi6 box (ie it doesn't).

Turns out there is no "power off" command for the box. the "power toggle" command only turns the box on, not off. The "All Power" button on the remote does the same as the "TV Power button" ie it only turns the TV on and off (as a toggle).

The workaround for your issue (recorded program still playing after you turn off from harmony remote) is to edit the Xi6 power off sequence (under "devices") so that instead of sending "power toggle" (which does nothing), it sends "exit", "exit", "power toggle" (you don't actually need the "power toggle" as it does nothing, but maybe some day...).

This will stop the playback of anything current, and leave the live TV playing, then the TV shuts off as normal. this is the best you can do, as there is no "Power Off" command for the Xi6 box itself (despite the on screen display saying pressing "All Power" will instantly power off - it doesn't).

Nick_W
I Plan to Stick Around

@Biollw wrote:

I don't know for sure but I think where the Xi6 is in screen saver mode it does not stream or else my data usage would be  higher.

I am only doing 6-14 gig per day. If it were streaming constantly then I think I would see a more even data usage per day. I will reset my router usage tonight before I go to bed and see what it is in the morning. This should tell me if my 3 Xi6 are streaming overnight. Really don't want to shut them off because they take so long to come back up.

Yes, it's possible that the box stops streaming eventually, especially if you have "power saver" enabled (doesn't say how long it takes for power saver to kick in mind - the example shows 4 hours, but the actual menu does not match the example).

When i say 'power off" I mean like then old nextbox 3 power off - ie standby - not power off as in reboot.

If you go into the menus and select "power off now" (the only way to "power off"), then the power LED on the top goes off, and the screen blanks/playback stops etc. When you "power on" the screen comes up instantly, so it's not off as in totally off, just standby mode.

Nick_W
I Plan to Stick Around

Another thing I have noticed, there is a setting in hardware to set the brightness of the "power on" light. Useful if the box is in a bedroom, so it doesn't light up the room.

The description of this control says it "controls the brightness of the lights on the box" - notice the plural. In fact it only controls the brightness of the light on top of the box, if your box is hard wired via ethernet, it does nothing to control the brightness of the link and activity lights on the ethernet socket at the back of the unit. These lights reflect off the wall behind, and the activity light flickers away happily at full brightness, which in a darkened bedroom is distracting (to say the least).

I guess when they put in the brightness control (for darkened rooms) they forgot about the ethernet socket lights. Looks like another electrical tape solution...

JeromeM
I Plan to Stick Around
@Nick_W

That is certainly one of my pet peeves with this setup, no power off. I don't really get the point of it being on all the time, I don't see a benefit, I turned on the ultra power save mode.

I added an action in Harmony for it to hit the guide button before turning off the system so if it's using the Netflix app it will go back to the TV first then the TV/Amp turns off so essentially pauses the Netflix show.

Nick_W
I Plan to Stick Around

@JeromeM wrote:
@Nick_W

That is certainly one of my pet peeves with this setup, no power off. I don't really get the point of it being on all the time, I don't see a benefit, I turned on the ultra power save mode.

I added an action in Harmony for it to hit the guide button before turning off the system so if it's using the Netflix app it will go back to the TV first then the TV/Amp turns off so essentially pauses the Netflix show.

I did the same thing, except I added "exit", "exit" so that any playbacks get exited/paused.

I also turned on "Maximum Power Save" in the labs menu, but no idea what this actually does. It's been about 2 hours since I "turned off" the TV, and the rogers Ignite web site ("manage devices" ) shows it as still streaming.

So power saving is important, but not to the point that you can actually put the system on standby yourself (without a lot of menu surfing).

It's like saying "in order to save energy, please turn off all lights in unused rooms". "Notice all light switches have been disconnected due to some people not understanding how they work".

Seems bizarre!

Nick_W
I Plan to Stick Around

Update 2 days in.

Everything is working!

Got the Slingbox 500 working yesterday. You select the cable box as Xfinity X1, and install one of these HDMI Splitter in between the Xi6 box and the HDMI input on the Slingbox, Slingbox HDMI output to the TV input. The HDMI splitter is just there to strip the HDCP encryption from the HDMI signal. Works great (so far - tries lots of channels last night including HBO, TMN etc all worked, but need a bit more time to claim total success).

Tried the web interface TV viewer, works nicely, even works on our old Surface 2 RT. It’s a little slow on the old Surface, so I’ll use the Slingbox app instead - but it works.

Found out the “Maximum Power Save” option puts the box into an even deeper power off mode than standby, so it takes about 10 seconds to “power on”, instead of the instant wake up from power save.

My last remaining challenge is to figure out how to set up a “Watch Netflix” activity on the Harmony remote. On the surface, it would seem to be impossible, but I may yet find a workaround.

The issue is that the only way to access Netflix/YouTube from the remote is using the “Apps” menu item. There is no way to access this menu using a consistent key sequence. If you press the “Menu”  (Rogers) button, it comes up with the last item you used selected, and programmatically there is no way to know what this is, so you can’t select the “apps” menu item.

If I find a set of key inputs to bring up Netflix, Ill post it here, otherwise, no “Watch Netflix” activity for harmony users Smiley Frustrated

Otherwise I am very impressed with this new system from Rogers. Everything works really well, much better than the nextbox 3/Navigatr combo. Now we just need more DVR storage, fiber to the home, and some discounts... (the demands from customers never ends Smiley Happy)

How has your experience with Ignite TV been?

I have been eyeing it and just wondering what people who have it think of it?

Currently have a Nextbox 3.0 hooked to my main TV, 150u Internet, and Homephone. To me it the only advantage in switching over is I can hook up my secondary TV and watch it in the background in my computer room.

Any thoughts?

StatsMan
I Plan to Stick Around

@Nick_W wrote:

Update 2 days in.

My last remaining challenge is to figure out how to set up a “Watch Netflix” activity on the Harmony remote. On the surface, it would seem to be impossible, but I may yet find a workaround.

The issue is that the only way to access Netflix/YouTube from the remote is using the “Apps” menu item. There is no way to access this menu using a consistent key sequence. If you press the “Menu”  (Rogers) button, it comes up with the last item you used selected, and programmatically there is no way to know what this is, so you can’t select the “apps” menu item.

If I find a set of key inputs to bring up Netflix, Ill post it here, otherwise, no “Watch Netflix” activity for harmony users Smiley Frustrated

I know that people get attached to their Harmony remotes - I love mine - but there's a far simpler and quicker way  ... simply use voice control on the provided remote and say "Netflix". Works extremely well.

Nick_W
I Plan to Stick Around

@StatsMan wrote:

@Nick_W wrote:

Update 2 days in.

I know that people get attached to their Harmony remotes - I love mine - but there's a far simpler and quicker way  ... simply use voice control on the provided remote and say "Netflix". Works extremely well.

I understand that, but OMG you have to PRESS A BUTTON! Obviously that's way too much work. If I could find a way to program this in harmony (which so far I can't) I could get Alexa to turn Netflix on, the same way she can turn the TV on/off, change channel etc with no button press required.

Of course, then you have to find the remote to select what you want to watch from Netflix, and you could just say the name of the netflix show you want to watch ("The Crown") and it just brings it straight up - so maybe I'ts not that useful after all...

Maybe I just need a paradigm shift, not a Netflix button.

Rogers! why are you making difficult things so easy! you're not supposed to do that Smiley Surprised

StatsMan
I Plan to Stick Around

@Nick_W wrote:

I understand that, but OMG you have to PRESS A BUTTON! Obviously that's way too much work. If I could find a way to program this in harmony (which so far I can't) I could get Alexa to turn Netflix on, the same way she can turn the TV on/off, change channel etc with no button press required.

Of course, then you have to find the remote to select what you want to watch from Netflix, and you could just say the name of the netflix show you want to watch ("The Crown") and it just brings it straight up - so maybe I'ts not that useful after all...

Maybe I just need a paradigm shift, not a Netflix button.

Rogers! why are you making difficult things so easy! you're not supposed to do that Smiley Surprised

Actually, you CAN use the Rogers remote to select movies, etc. on Netflix. When using voice control, it searches all sources  available to Ignite TV  ... regular programming, On Demand, Netflix, YouTube ... if you want to watch The Crown say “The Crown” and up it pops up on Netflix. If the programme/movie is available on regular tv it will bring that up instead.

As for using/programming Harmony remotes, I’m Just wondering which Harmony remote you are using? I’m using the Harmony Companion that includes the Harmony Hub which can be programmed through the Harmony remote app. I’ve programmed the app to open Netflix and it works quite welll and you can then programme the remote to use a button to watch Netflix.

Nick_W
I Plan to Stick Around

@StatsMan wrote:

Actually, you CAN use the Rogers remote to select movies, etc. on Netflix. When using voice control, it searches all sources  available to Ignite TV  ... regular programming, On Demand, Netflix, YouTube ... if you want to watch The Crown say “The Crown” and up it pops up on Netflix. If the programme/movie is available on regular tv it will bring that up instead.

That’s what I meant -paradigm shift...

@StatsMan wrote: 

As for using/programming Harmony remotes, I’m Just wondering which Harmony remote you are using? I’m using the Harmony Companion that includes the Harmony Hub which can be programmed through the Harmony remote app. I’ve programmed the app to open Netflix and it works quite welll and you can then programme the remote to use a button to watch Netflix.

Ok, give, how are you programming that? I have a Harmony Elite with the hub, how are you programming the remote to have a button to bring up Netflix?

I would include it for completeness, even though it is, as you point out effectively useless.

Nick_W
I Plan to Stick Around

@StatsMan wrote:

That’s actually what I meant - paradigm shift...

@StatsMan wrote:

I have a harmony elite with the hub. OK, give, how are you programming the remote to bring up a Netflix with one button?

bluerobin
I've Been Around

Why can I not watch anything on my android box with my newly installed Roger  Ignite Wireless when  I could previously