Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Had my install today!
Tech was really good and knowledgeable (well as much as they can be this early)

I need to head out shortly, so this will be just a QUICK overview, go into MUCH more detail about all the stuff when I get back later tonight.

Modem set up,  put at demarc.  Built in range was decent, but not great for my 3rd box, so installed a MESH wireless.  Seems to work well from what I can see.  (I am running NOT bridged right now.. as my RT-N66U is getting a little long in the tooth.)  I was able to get 300+/25 on wireless (on 500u).  Wired seems fine.

X1 boxes are TINY, like android box sized.  
Seem to work well though, VERY fast to respond.  Recording work.  Playback works.  Playback via cell/ipad works.
Cant seem to find where to change the wifi network right now.. will ask the concierge when I talk to them tomorrow.

Again, will write a much larger review later tonight.  If you have questions, let me know and I can try and see/check about it.

*Edited Labels*

1,081 REPLIES 1,081

Re: Rogers Ignite TV Installation/Experiences/Questions

@kibosh, the problem with UPNP and Zero Config has been forwarded to the XB6 Project Manager for  further investigation.  

kibosh
I Plan to Stick Around

That's good to hear.  Perhaps you could also mention that more than one Xbox also causes issues.  Not sure if the two go hand and hand.

jpg222
I Plan to Stick Around
Thank you. I will call them tomorrow

@kibosh, that's another issue that I suspect won't be resolved with the XB6.  Its not an XB6 specific issue, and by that I mean that its typical for ISP modems.  Simply put, they don't support multiple consoles.  That's a problem with the consoles attempting to use the same ports.  Modems definitely have an issue with this.  Routers such as an Asus router running Merlin's Asuswrt and some Netgear routers will handle multiple consoles.  For individuals such as yourself, the XB6 is going to be a problem.  I will pass this along however, and hey, you never know, maybe Arris will fix it. 

Have you shifted the second XBox to the secondary ports to see if that resolves any of the problems?

kibosh
I Plan to Stick Around

Ya, I definitely would setup an alternate port on one of the consoles if I wasn’t trying to use my own router. Just thought I’d mention it since it appears to be an issue as well. 

Ok, but just so that I understand it correctly, with the modem in Gateway mode, have you run the second console with the secondary port settings and if so, it failed to operate?  Just want to be sure of what to pass along to the project manager.

kibosh
I Plan to Stick Around

Sorry no I did not try that. I port forwarded 3074 for my xbox and it worked fine. If my son starts his first and then I start mine I get a moderate NAT.  I assume if I were to set his to an alternate port and then forward that for his ip it would work fine but I did not confirm that. 

jpg222
I Plan to Stick Around
Hi I thought I would share my experience so far with ignite. Installation was good the tech checked the single coming from outside first .
He said that I was the first none Roger's employee that he installed for, which made me abit nervous when he didn't know something he would call his boss to find but he got the job done, checked all the singles. But unfortunately he wasn't to sure of any of the features. So far everything has worked fine and I'm enjoying it the gudie mini gudie as well, voice search Netflix integration .
The only thing I can't understand is way the remote looks like 1980s cell phone.

Biollw
I'm an Advisor

So where is ignite tv available?  What cities?

@Biollw don't know, but here's the contact number;  1 866 709-2213

which comes from the following Ignite TV page:

https://www.rogers.com/consumer/about-rogers-iptv

The Customer Service Rep should be able to tell you if your home is eligible for the Ignite service at this time.  

jpg222
I Plan to Stick Around
Hi does anyone know when all the on demand networks will be add ?
Never mind I found it just wasn't looking in the right spot.

SimplePanda
I Plan to Stick Around

So has anyone successfully put the XB6 into bridge mode and used their own router / access points while still maintaining their Ignite TV service?

Specifically, is Ignite TV dependent on the XB6 being in full gateway mode? Can anyone confirm?

Sundog1966
I Plan to Stick Around
Do the Xi6 boxes support Vlan tagging? I have an enterprise class router that would let me subnet the xi6 traffic if it is tagged and thus firewall it off from my home network.

SimplePanda
I Plan to Stick Around

@Sundog1966 wrote:
Do the Xi6 boxes support Vlan tagging? I have an enterprise class router that would let me subnet the xi6 traffic if it is tagged and thus firewall it off from my home network.

Seems highly unlikely for consumer grade gear, but you can just put it on an access port and segment it at the switching level.

Not that there seems to be any reason to do so...

kibosh
I Plan to Stick Around

@SimplePanda wrote:

So has anyone successfully put the XB6 into bridge mode and used their own router / access points while still maintaining their Ignite TV service?

Specifically, is Ignite TV dependent on the XB6 being in full gateway mode? Can anyone confirm?

I haven't got it fully working but am very close.  I can get everything except Netflix working for some odd reason.

SimplePanda
I Plan to Stick Around

@kibosh wrote:
I haven't got it fully working but am very close.  I can get everything except Netflix working for some odd reason.

Strange. You'd think Netflix would be the least picky part given it'll work over any internet connection.

Do you have two Xi6 units? If so, how much/big is the discrepancy between the two of them, sync wise, when you tune to the same channel?

Does live TV (or DVR recordings) ever buffer? Seems like if Rogers is using HLS that's a definite possibility?

How quick is it two skip ahead (30 seconds or whatever the skip button is) when you're watching a recorded program?

kibosh
I Plan to Stick Around

RIGHT!?!?!  It makes no sense to me.

I actually have 3 units.  All of the units are basically synced totally.  They is a tiny echo in the sound when I tune them to the same channel . . . its less of a difference than Fibe TV for sure.

Rogers pushed out a firmware update yesterday that makes the channels tune immediately now.  Prior to this, the channels would come in blocky and then take a few seconds to fully come in HD.  I have never seen any buffering though.

The skipping is virtually instantaneous and with voice control completely customizable . . . you can just say "fast forward 2 minutes" and it does it.  This product is light years ahead of even Bell Fibe TV which I loved in comparison to Navigatr.  

SimplePanda
I Plan to Stick Around

Interesting.

I just wish Rogers internet was better; i'd consider switching back given this Ignite TV improvement.

In general I found Rogers routing and core network a little better than Bell's, but Rogers last mile really drops the ball and they just can't compete with FTTH for internet access. I have symmetrical gigabit with 3ms pings to Google and basically no jitter right now (Gigabit Fibe). My old Rogers Gigabit connection (before I switched) wasn't coming anywhere close to that.

It's really night and day compared to Bell FTTH. Not even competitive, really.

If Rogers offered Ignite Internet/TV over FTTH, well....

andrew9446
I Plan to Stick Around

I have no issue with Rogers Internet. My speeds are consistent, mostly getting above advertised speed, and always reliable. I don't really care about delivery method as long as it works to my expectations. So far so good with Ignite Tv. Has anyone by the way noticed they added a Kids Youtube App? I just noticed it yesterday but its not of interest to me per say.

jpg222
I Plan to Stick Around
Hi has anyone's t.v and internet crashed? So far mine has crashed 4 times once on Saturday, three times Tuesday (today). I was told this is do to updates. Hope it doesn't happen that much more.

kibosh
I Plan to Stick Around

Sorry, I haven't had any issues.