cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 

Rogers Ignite TV - Alternate wifi/connection possibilities

Gdkitty
Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Creating this thread so we can separate any discussion about alternate methods of connectivity 
(if at all possible still, etc)

- Bridge Mode - is it capable of connecting the boxes to your own modem

- Wired connection

- How to connect these boxes in those methods.

*Edited Labels*

321 REPLIES 321

Re: Rogers Ignite TV - Alternate wifi/connection possibilities

StatsMan
I Plan to Stick Around

I am also using the XB6 as a modem/router with WiFi turned off. I am using two Asus AC68U routers in Asus' AiMesh mode. One is set up as an AiMesh router and the other is set up as an AiMesh node. Wifi works way better than the WiFi from the XB6 and when hard wire connected to the node it can operate in backhaul mode. 

I can answer your question about Netflix. I had the same issue and I am also using an ASUS router. Change your IPv6 to Native and make sure the Auto Configuration mode is set to stateless. Then create trigger ports for UDP 33001-33010 and TCP 22, 33001

Then reboot the new Ignite box and give it a couple of minutes and then you should be fine.

Smoothie
I've Been Here Awhile

I'm having issues with my Google onhub tplink tgr1900.

It was working fine connect to the Ignite TV, using my own SSID. Lately, it seems to be intermittent, and display a message indicating that it can't connect and to wait, or try and restart the box. So I unplug it and it works for a bit, then does the same thing a few hours later.

I believe my router does support both IPv4 and IPv6, what settings at the router level do I need to complete to get it working 100% of the time?

@Smoothie, seems to me that I've been thru this recently with another OnHub user.  Officially, according to the user guide, the OnHub supports IPV6.  From what I remember, it doesn't offer any user interface to set the IPV6 modem into Native IPV6, which is what Rogers uses.  Any other questions regarding how to set any parameters for IPV6 operation should be directed to Google, as the user manual is completely useless for this problem.

Here's a reference post to IPV6 settings used for various routers:

http://communityforums.rogers.com/t5/Internet/Rogers-IPv6-Status/m-p/373238#M36710

StatsMan
I Plan to Stick Around

@StatsMan wrote:

I am also using the XB6 as a modem/router with WiFi turned off. I am using two Asus AC68U routers in Asus' AiMesh mode. One is set up as an AiMesh router and the other is set up as an AiMesh node. Wifi works way better than the WiFi from the XB6 and when hard wire connected to the node it can operate in backhaul mode. 

Further to this, I ran a test on ipv6-test.com with the above setup and I had IPv6 on the router set up as native, etc. The test found that I had NO IPv6 connectivity and received a sore of 4/20! I went back into the UI for my Asus router and changed the IPv6 set up from native to pass-through and re-ran the test. This time it showed that the Asus router supported IPv6 and my score went up to 17/20. It seems that you should only set IPv6 on your router if you are running the Rogers router in bridge mode. If you are using it as I am i.e. as a modem/router with WiFi off, then setting IPv6 to pass-through is the way to go

I know the boxes are WiFi but I see there is an Ethernet Port on the back. I plan on hardwiring to where my TV is.

Is it possible to just hardwire the box via a switch instead of using the wifi? Also how can I disable WiFi on the box then

yes, you are more than able to wire the box instead of wireless.
There are a few users on here who are doing so.

I dont think there is a specific way to disable the wireless though.

My guess is it might disable on its own.. i know lots of boxes like my android box, will turn off the wifi portion when it detect a wired one.

If the Xi6 is properly wired with CAT5 when powered on then it will connect using wired. If not then is will attempt to help you connect via WifI using WPS or you can connect Wifi manually. It gives you the option WPS or manual. 

You must key in your SSID and password. It does not come up with a list of available SSIDs.

I have 2 wired and 1 Wifi. 

waverate
I Plan to Stick Around

Same results as @StatsMan.  4/20 score while using default XB6 config.  Switching the XB6 to Bridge Mode and running my eero with IPv6 support scored 19/20.

waverate
I Plan to Stick Around

I had the Ignite TV install 24 August.  The tech did a regular install of the XB6 modem and a couple of Xi6 set top boxes using the modem’s WiFi.  Live, Recorded, On Demand and Netflix worked fine.

After the tech left, I installed I put the XB6 in bridge mode and connected an eero hub and two eero beacons to improve the WiFi.  I connected the set top boxes to the new mesh network.  Everything worked fine.

However yesterday after almost three weeks, I noticed the only channel working on either set top box is HGTV.  Recorded TV and Netflix still works but the remaining Live TV channels and On Demand has stopped.

I have power cycled the XB6 and Live TV works on the set top box for 5min and then it goes back to exhibiting the previous symptoms.

I have not called Technical Support because I have put the XB6 in brigdge mode.  I am wondering if anyone else has run into the same symptoms?

waverate
I Plan to Stick Around

I recall the tech using a sequence on the remote to see a diagnostic screen on the set top box.

It was something like:  [Hold ROGERS for 5s then Down Arrow twice].

Does anyone know what it is?

StatsMan
I Plan to Stick Around
I would try taking the XB6 out of bridge mode and then disabling WiFi on both 2.4 and 5Ghz channels. I believe that this is the mode that Rogers uses when they setup Eero mesh. I’ve setup my XB6 in this way using two ASUS routers set up in AiMesh mode and have had no issues

waverate
I Plan to Stick Around

It pains me to move away from the eero app, but I did a Restore Factory Settings on the XB6 and put the eero in bridge mode.  The set top boxes work for Live TV and On Demand now.

Still unclear as to why bridge mode worked for three weeks and then stopped working for all channels except for HGTV.

waverate
I Plan to Stick Around

Oh, for fork-sakes.

Yesterday’s changes worked perfectly well until this evening.  The set top boxes are back to the same problems: no LiveTV or On Demand.  Recorded TV and Netflix still works fine.  In fact, I can record a channel that is not working on Live TV and play it back 10s later and I can continue to watch that show almost live.

@waverate wrote:

I recall the tech using a sequence on the remote to see a diagnostic screen on the set top box.

It was something like:  [Hold ROGERS for 5s then Down Arrow twice].

Does anyone know what it is?

[Hold ROGERS for 5s then Down Arrow twice] then the number 2 puts you into diag  screens.

TommyPratt
I've Been Around

Creating this thread so we can separate any discussion about alternate methods of connectivity 
(if at all possible still, etc)

- Bridge Mode - is it capable of connecting the boxes to your own modem

- Wired connection

- How to connect these boxes in those methods.

1) Yes it is.  Though some people have had to do a bit of work to get everything working (like the built in netflix, etc)  You will find instructions on people doing it in this thread.

2) Yes, either way (bridged or not) wired is more than possible to do.

3) Wired should be just plug in either way.  wireless, if your attaching via bridged mode, will have to go into the wifi menu  via:
Exit for 5 seconds, down, down, 9434

StatsMan
I Plan to Stick Around

@Gdkitty wrote:

3) Wired should be just plug in either way.  wireless, if your attaching via bridged mode, will have to go into the wifi menu  via:
Exit for 5 seconds, down, down, 9434

Actually, access to go into the WiFi is: Exit for two to five seconds, down, down, 2

the code that you have quoted is for pairing a remote to a set top box.

StatsMan
I Plan to Stick Around
That should read "WiFi diagnostic menu..."

PCDoctor
I Plan to Stick Around

If you have ignite 500 using 4582 white Rogers gigabit modem, could it be used with Ignite TV Xi6 STB?

PCDoctor
I Plan to Stick Around

Also, can you subscribe to Ignite TV service and retain your cable boxes on regular TV on other sets in the home?

Can you also retain your existing Rogers Home Phone service when Ignite TV is added to your home?  You might need to do this to retain your multiple Voicemail boxes feature which I don't think is available on the XB6 VOIP service.

Community Testing Lab

We’ve got an amazing opportunity to test our upcoming Gateway!

Click here to find out more!