Rogers Hitron CGN3 - NEW FIRMWARE - 4.2.4.3

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Prospect
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: :: Rogers Hitron CGN3 - NEW FIRMWARE - 4.2.4.3 ::

ya, i tried the straight bridge connection from the PC, CGN# seems to be fine. Been reseating cables all morning.

I might try and switching the CGN3 again, a week ago, i had an issue where port 1 stopped working in bridge mode, yet port 2 worked in bridge. A few days later, tech support was able to turn it back on. Now in access point, the routers I have are pushing the full bandwidth, I'm using a WRT610N and a WRT 310N.

Any suggestions on what a good router is right now? Netgear R7000 or the Asus AC68U?

LYuan
I Plan to Stick Around

Prospect, you can go here:

http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/lanwan/router-charts/

Those are all the current routers on the market sorted by WAN -> LAN performance. If you're just worried about routing performance, just make sure you get one that has a higher WAN to LAN rate than your download speed on your plan. 

Personally, I'm running the Netgear Nighthawk with a customized DD-WRT firmware. It's the fastest consumer grade router you can buy right now, but it's also not cheap. On the brightside, the DD-WRT development by Kong is quite active, and the lates firmware is extremely stable and very, very fast. Check this for more info:

http://www.dd-wrt.com/phpBB2/viewtopic.php?t=177443

Hope this helps!

P.S. I'm just looking at those charts right now, and it looks like; if you can find it, the Netgear WNDR3700v2 is pretty good price/performance candidate.

wayner92
I'm a Reliable Contributor

I have been told that the chart on SNB may not be that reliable as it may contain tests that are out of date.  For example, it says that the Asus RT-N16 has a WAN-LAN throughput of 142 Mbps - not enough to keep up with Rogers' 150Mbps Ultimate, nevermind the 250Mbps Ultimate.  But Merlin (the author of the Merlin firmware) says that test was done when that router was first released and he says that it runs much faster on newer firmware, either Asus or 3rd party.

LYuan
I Plan to Stick Around

Yeah, the results are definitely temporal as firmware updates, comm chipset drivers (and custom firmware) can have a lot to do with a router's performances. They are merely an estimate relative to other routers, which is very helpful. In Prospect's case, his maximum throughput at the time SNB did the test was 130Mb/s and change. It is an older router, and it's possible that newer firmware will unlock more performance, but even it it gets the router up to 250mbps, it's going to be stressing that hardware a lot more than before. That brings in a whole new variable that's even cloudier than temporal WAN/LAN tests: Reliability. Of course, results will vary with each brand as well.

itldo22
I've Been Here Awhile

Just checked and i'm finally on 4.2.4.3

yay

Update may have occurred earlier this week as it's been pretty stable since last weekend.

Been in bridge mode since my last post.

My setup;

My network -> Dell switch -> TrendNet Router w/wifi AP on (WAN dhcp enabled) -> CGN3 -> Rogers

Hopefully Rogers is paying attention to these forums/postings as they are certainly NOT contacting their CGN3 customers to let them know about the fix.

For the benefit of those who are struggling to check firware version in 'Bridge Mode' i did the following;

- Connected my laptop via LAN cable directly to one of the 4 ports on back panel of CGN3.

- Manually configure laptop ethernet adapter ip address to: 192.168.100.10, subnet mask 255.255.255.0, gateway 192.168.100.1

(left dns empty)

- Open a browser and point to 192.168.100.1

- Login userid & password was default (even though i had changed password before putting in 'Bridge Mode')

- Default screen shows Hardware version 1A, Firmware version 4.2.4.3

wayner92

@itldo22 wrote:

For the benefit of those who are struggling to check firware version in 'Bridge Mode' i did the following;

- Connected my laptop via LAN cable directly to one of the 4 ports on back panel of CGN3.

- Manually configure laptop ethernet adapter ip address to: 192.168.100.10, subnet mask 255.255.255.0, gateway 192.168.100.1

(left dns empty)

- Open a browser and point to 192.168.100.1

- Login userid & password was default (even though i had changed password before putting in 'Bridge Mode')

- Default screen shows Hardware version 1A, Firmware version 4.2.4.3

That definitely works, and I can confirm that typing these commands into your modem should also work.  The advantage to this method is that you don't have to change cables or NIC settings, but depending on your router firmware you may have to redo the commands if you reboot your router.  You may be able to do this in your router web UI or you should be able to telnet into your router and enter the following commands at the prompt: (fyi - my router is an Asus RT-N66U running stock Asus firmware)

ifconfig `nvram get wan_ifname`:0 192.168.100.2 netmask 255.255.255.0
iptables -t nat -I POSTROUTING -o `nvram get wan_ifname` -j MASQUERADE

LYuan
I Plan to Stick Around

Wayner92,

You must be very careful when suggesting this - Although it works for you, this WILL NOT work for ALL devices. Some devices won't even have a telnet/SSH interface. Generally speaking routers with broadcomm / atheros chipsets and have a pedigree for compatibility to custom firmwares are good, but there are a lot of devices that this won't work for.

L.

Vise
I Plan to Stick Around

Yes!  Just confirmed mine updated to 4.2.4.3... it has been stable for the past 2 days or so, we'll see how it goes but working just fine in bridge mode.  Nice to see a resolution to this even if it did take way longer than it should have.  

wayner92

@LYuan wrote:

Wayner92,

You must be very careful when suggesting this - Although it works for you, this WILL NOT work for ALL devices. Some devices won't even have a telnet/SSH interface. Generally speaking routers with broadcomm / atheros chipsets and have a pedigree for compatibility to custom firmwares are good, but there are a lot of devices that this won't work for.

L.

How is this dangerous if you don't have a telnet/SSH interface?  That is the safest since there is no way to enter these commands!

I am not an expert at networking but my understanding would be that even if you had radically different firmware it shouldn't really be dangerous. These are basic Linux networking commands that should work on most if not all routers.  And if you just enter these commands at a prompt for the first time, rather than using a file that runs at boot up, then you can just reboot your router and be back to where you were before.

LYuan
I Plan to Stick Around

Yes, if you don't have a router that supports SSH or don't know how to use SSH, the safety of your router is not an issue, but it may cause confusion. That's the kind of stuff people end up typing into their command prompt, and then come back saying "I typed it in, but it keeps on giving me an error?"

The more dangerous aspect of it is for the people who know "just enough" to do some damage, and for people who do manage to get in to a telnet/ssh session; espcially as you provieded no way back for people if they, say, typed in the wrong IP address or wanted to revert for any reason. The obvious solution is to do a reset of the router, but since we're dealing with nvram and epending on the router, the factory reset doesn't necessarily clear nvram.

Oh, you should also specify as one of your steps in your solution that this "requires a telnet/SSH" connection to your router. saying "type these into your router" is ambiguous, although if they didn't deduce that it should be in a telnet session, perhaps this wouldn't be the solution for them anyway. I'm just trying to avoid the "Ohhhh...the files are IN the computer!" scene from Zoolander. 😄

L