Rogers High Speed Internet Disconnecting

Need Help?

That's what we're here for! The goal of the Rogers Community is to help you find answers on everything Rogers. Can't find what you're looking for? Just ask!
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
I'm Here A Lot

Rogers High Speed Internet Disconnecting

Hi, Guys.

I am having disconnection problem from Rogers Extreme Plan. (Kitchener/Waterloo Area)

The problem is that I am disconnecting from the internet several times a day.

On the network icon of the Windows Taskbar is Perfectly FINE. It tells me that i am connected.

But If I try to browse or to use any internet based application, it doesn't work. (telling me that i am not connected to the internet.)

So, If i disable the ethernet adapter and turn it back on, then it works sometimes.

I've been reading through this forum for days, and it looks like my DOCSIS 3.0 modem is the problem. (SMCD3GN)

Does anybody know how to disable the router function of this modem?

***edited labels***

Solved! Go to Solution.
I Plan to Stick Around

Re: Rogers High Speed Internet Disconnecting

27 days later, we're pulling this DNS stuff again?

**edited subject**

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

To disable the router function on this one , I beleive you do have to call in for them to switch it over.

I'm a Reliable Contributor

?????  Care to elaborate?  What's going on?

**edited subject**

I've Been Here Awhile

I am in Kitchener-Waterloo also.  Here's something to try.  Leave one of your  wireless devices streaming music - say music.cbc.ca or something like that. If your computer seems to hang, but the streaming is unaffected it may be a DNS issue, not a connection issue. 

The fact that you are staying connected to the Wifi indicates to me that we're having the same problem.  This has been going on for a few weeks here.

I've Been Here Awhile

Same here. The thing is I have internet with rogers and with bell as well and I am having problems with both .

I'm Here A Lot

Hello,

First time poster, been having the same issue as LOTS of people are (DNS dropping, net dropping for a few seconds)

Best thing I could come up with:

Go to this website:

http://www.thewebtechreviews.com/2011/04/02/my-frustration-with-rogers-smcd3gn-modem/

Use the login information on that page to get into your modeum (I have been reading that many Rogers employees don't even know the login info to their SMCD3G)

Turn off the wireless (I found this eliminated "most" of my problems)

I find others are disabling all commercial gateway functions (after turning off the wireless) which then allows you to hook up a router of your own choicing.

But the worst of it all is that this is happening to so many Rogers customers, and it appears nothing is being done (and why is it happening - is there an infrastructure problem?)

I'm a Senior Advisor

It is a problem too MidnightTide, that Rogers refuses to acknowledge. I am having a hard time understanding who in their right mind at Rogers thought these gateway modems (SMC, Cisco, and now the Hitron) were the way to go in replacing the older and extremely reliable D2 modems. Whomever that person is, he/she should be fired. What is even more troublesome is the arrogance of not admitting that they were wrong and to finally provide customers, at least with the option, of a good stand alone D3 modem.

The complaints are everywhere - here, on Rogers Facebook and Twitter pages, on other forums like DSL Reports and Digital Home, which I know are monitored by Rogers, so it is not like they are not aware of the issues. Other than the usual canned responses, and "we will pass on your concerns to the internal team" Rogers simply refuses to provide customers with anything near the level of service they deserve for the the price they are being charged!

Resident Expert
Resident Expert

Truthfully in my opinion, while I 100% agree in general the current ones are garbage in terms of range, features, etc. personally, in the cases of these disconnects, I don't think that a stand alone d3 modem would make a difference.

That there are no d2 users complaining about it, and that you can experience the same exact thing across 3 very different brand modems, that its something more likely with the d3 protocols and the areas effected.
Again, as I have one if these, and am NOT effected.

I'm a Senior Advisor

I disagree with you Gdkitty - this time. You say a lot of things on here that make sense and help people out. But read the post by MidnightTide. He states very clearly that turning "off the wireless (I found this eliminated "most" of my problems)". You just stated that "there are no d2 users complaining about it". Why? Because they are stand alone modems. For once, stop defending Rogers. As I stated as well, everywhere you look, people are complaining about the disconnects - here, Rogers Facebook and Twitter pages, DSL, and Digital Forum. Until Rogers actually gives people the option to use a stand alone D3 modem, you have no basis whatsover for making that claim. As you also said "that you can experience the same exact thing across 3 very different brand modems" - all D3 gateways and all garbage should tell you something!